PDA

View Full Version : Sticking a combo drive in an older iBook

Brother Michael
Jul 25, 2004, 01:08 AM
I am toying with the idea of sticking a Combo Drive in my G3 600mhz iBook.

Which one do I get?

I saw on Welovemacs.com that they sell Sony's.

Actually its this model: Sony CRX810E to be exact. What do you guys think? Is that the right one?

Mike

Finiksa
Jul 25, 2004, 01:32 AM
Actually its this model: Sony CRX810E to be exact. What do you guys think? Is that the right one?

That's the model in my iBook so it'll definitely work natively. Just make sure it comes with the drive bezel, the one on your current drive probably wont fit.

Brother Michael
Jul 25, 2004, 01:43 AM
That's the model in my iBook so it'll definitely work natively. Just make sure it comes with the drive bezel, the one on your current drive probably wont fit.

hmm ok. Well that basically leaves me with 3 options:

1) buy from welovmacs.com and get a bezel with it for about ~200
2) buy from ebay/somewhere else for considerably less but not Bezel then have to go hunting for that...
3) say screw the whole thing and steal my brothers PS2 for watching DVD's...

Mike

+EDIT+ Upon reviewing the situation, its not worth it. I dont have that many DVD's so I will just make DIVX copies of them using my PC and stick them on my Firewire drive. I have other things that need money.

Brother Michael
Jul 25, 2004, 01:44 AM
BTW, thanks for confirming that model number, at least I now know what to get if i want it.

Thanks,
Mike

kant
Jul 25, 2004, 02:47 AM
+EDIT+ Upon reviewing the situation, its not worth it...I have other things that need money.

here's a thought:

http://search.ebay.com/firewire-enclosure_W0QQsosortpropertyZ1

and pull the dvd out of the pc or buy another dvd rom. or dvd+-rw drive.

that's the final factor that convinced me that I needed at least the G4 iBook 800: usb 2.0. I'll pull the dvd burner out of my PC and put it into a usb enclosure and use on all of my computers.

http://search.ebay.com/dvd-burner_Drives-Controllers_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR10QQsacategoryZ165QQsotrZ2

rhpenguin
Jul 25, 2004, 03:52 AM
I did the retarded thing and blew a lot of money on MCE's 1x superdrive for my iBook. IMHO its way easier/(hella) cheaper to get a firewire drive because its a pain in the a** to take apart the iBook.

Brother Michael
Jul 25, 2004, 08:07 AM
Actually, that is a terrific idea. The DVD player in my PC, has some well failing health...

It doesnt work at all...EXCEPT to play DVD's. I swear it! It doesn't load bootable cd's at startup, nor cd's in windows. HOWEVER if I put a DVD in it, it pops up PowerDVD like there wasn't a problem at all.

This also now gives me an excuse to get a DVD-Burner for my computer...something I wanted/half needed but couldn't justify getting.

It kills two birds with one stone...which is an accomplishment unto itself...ever tried killing one bird with one stone...yea not easy. :)

Mike

Spock
Jul 25, 2004, 08:20 AM
I think You will have to do a clean install of Mac OS X to use the DVD Player. You also will not have DVD Playback in Mac OS 9.