Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevetader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
i was getting several kernel panics per day on my powerbook, so i reformatte the hard drive and reinstalled the os, but now it won't even get past the start up screen without giving me a kernel panic error. i had read that ram can cause this problem, so i took some ram out of another one of my powerbooks and it was doing the same thing, so i think i can rule that out. i also checked to see that my airport card was properly seated. any suggestions? this is one of my primary computers, so i really need to get it up asap. thanks.

steven tader

powerbook g4 500
768mb ram
30gb hd
airport card
combo drive

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Reinstalling the OS is hardly ever necessary and rarely fixes anything. You almost certainly have a hardware problem. Run the hardware test CD that came with your Mac.

Sometimes resetting open firmware helps.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
Shut the computer down. Press the power button, IMMEADITLY after you hear the startup chime, press and hold the shift key.

That will boot it up in safe mode, once you log in repair permissions, update your prebindings and check permissions.

Then restart.

This happened once to my iMac.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
stevetader said:
i can boot from my cd, so would that rule out hardware problems?

Possibly....

Kernel panicks could aslo occur because of programs you have installed. I got kernel panicks after I installed Norton Antivirus.

Try taking it to an Apple store or re-seller if you can, they probbably could be a lot of help.

If worse comes to worse, and you have tryed everything you can think of and there is still the problem, then you should probbably re-install the OS.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
stevetader said:
i can boot from my cd, so would that rule out hardware problems?

It doesn't necessarily rule out hardware problems, no. Did you run the Disk Utility from the CD?

Lee Tom

stevetader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
i did run disk utility from the cd, and i repartioned the drive and repaired the permissions, but it didn't help, i just went and got norton system works so hopefully that will help. i am going to try to set the problematic powerbook up as a target drive for one of my other powerbooks and try to give it a mor thorough reformatting and reinstallation. i am also going to try to put panther on it instead of jaguar. if this is in fact a hardware problem, what is it and what cost should i expect to repair it?

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
According to reports from others on this forum, Norton SystemWorks causes more problems than it fixes when used with OS X. One example can even be found in this thread. As musicpyrite said, his computer was having kernel panics because of Norton Antivirus. I definitely recommend that you return SystemWorks before you open it.

stevetader

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2004
i didn't use system works, because when i installed panther, everything went smooth and the problem seems to be fixed. from my experiences with this powerbook and annother one of my g4's, jaguar is not quite up to par. thanks for all the suggestions.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
stevetader said:
i didn't use system works, because when i installed panther, everything went smooth and the problem seems to be fixed. from my experiences with this powerbook and annother one of my g4's, jaguar is not quite up to par. thanks for all the suggestions.

My experience with Kernel panics on an iBook = Bad logic board. Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.