Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstratmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
OK...I'm in awe that I can't find any threads on this, so clearly I'm missing something, sorry!!!

I'm using Snow Leopard Server and can't find any way to share an external HDD over the network, let alone assigning privileges to certain users on the network...I'd love to be able to access this through VPN as well!

I see the external HDD on the server machine, and can use it as normal on the server, but when I go to the client machine I've not been able to see it in any way!

I also can't find a way to do this with the Time Capsule that I have attached into the network...so any suggestions with that would also be grand...If I had my preferences, I'd love to be able to use the Time Capsule with Time Machine for the server machine...it says I cannot use the WD External for Time Machine, and doesn't show any option to even see Time Capsule....but that's a separate issue altogether!

Thanks for everyone's help here!!!

CorporateFelon

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Boston, MA
I haven't tried this on a server just a client, but in the past I have an alias to a folder in the external drive. And with in an internal folder that has permissions to share I place the alias.

mstratmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Alias

This didn't seem to work at all either...thanks for the attempt though!!!

mac666er

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I have done this with a mac mini running Leopard Server and two external FW 400 hard drives. They are accessible through Appletalk, Windows (SMB) and the web on my network.

First you have to open the Server Admin Application.

From there there, there is an icon in your server preferences that says file sharing. Open that and click on share points.

Once you are there you can click on Browse and go to the root level of the drive and click share. That's it you are done!

On this same screen you can assign permissions.

Have fun.

mstratmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Got it...

Thanks for all the advice, after going through Server Admin, Server Prefs, etc, etc, etc...the alias wasn't needed, I got it working after re-formatting the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)...apparently it wasn't going to share as it was formatted in FAT32...after a simple reformat all was happy again!

THANKS!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.