Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Not all people who JB, are stealing. So dont lump us that way. I JB, for mywi, make it mine, intelliscreen, and quick reply. I have paid and purchased for all my apps, probably around $350 in total. So dont say all JB'ers rob devs, we dont.

Besides, the app store isnt in jeopardy, especially not because some crap website says so. I'll wait for apple to tell me the app store is doomed.

Thanks though

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
He didnt say all JBers are pirates. But you have to be a JBer to pirate. Therefore, the statement "you JBers need to stop pirating" is 100% true.

Artofilm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
He didnt say all JBers are pirates. But you have to be a JBer to pirate. Therefore, the statement "you JBers need to stop pirating" is 100% true.

Thank you, Unspoken Demise. I don't see how I could word that any different anyways. It's not like non-jailbroken users can pirate apps.

I said, "you jailbreakers". I didn't say anyone specifically. The people who pirate know who you are, the others that don't shouldn't worry and take offence of this if you know you're not part of this group.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
The JailBreaking community as caused me a loss of 80,000$ and it's time to take action against this.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
The JailBreaking community as caused me a loss of 80,000$ and it's time to take action against this.

Jeez. That sucks! Is that 80,000$ after Apple's cut? Sorry to hear that.

Thank you, Unspoken Demise. I don't see how I could word that any different anyways. It's not like non-jailbroken users can pirate apps.

I said, "you jailbreakers". I didn't say anyone specifically. The people who pirate know who you are, the others that don't shouldn't worry and take offence of this if you know you're not part of this group.

You're welcome. I understood what you meant.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007

Just because you have 100k pirated users, doesn't mean that without pirating you would have an extra 100k paying users. Most pirates aren't going to buy your application anyway, so you can't count every pirated user as a lost sale. I'd say at best you are looking at 1 in 100 pirated users would buy your app if they couldn't get it for free. So you lost closer to $8,000, still a big loss, but no where near as bad as your initial figure makes it sound.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Just because you have 100k pirated users, doesn't mean that without pirating you would have an extra 100k paying users. Most pirates aren't going to buy your application anyway, so you can't count every pirated user as a lost sale. I'd say at best you are looking at 1 in 100 pirated users would buy your app if they couldn't get it for free. So you lost closer to $8,000, still a big loss, but no where near as bad as your initial figure makes it sound.

It doesnt matter if it is 80,000; 8,000; 800; or 8$.
Its still money that Pika is entitled to, and it isnt fair that he not be able to make that money for his/ his team's hard work.

I understand your post was not belittling piracy, im using your post as a jump point, not really directed at you.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
If Apple would loosen their grip on the iphone just a little bit then it would keep a lot of people from jailbreaking. Adding things like backgrounding and something similar to what sbsettings does would keep me from jailbreaking. Because those are the two reasons I keep my iphone jailbroken.

return7

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
If Apple would loosen their grip on the iphone just a little bit then it would keep a lot of people from jailbreaking. Adding things like backgrounding and something similar to what sbsettings does would keep me from jailbreaking. Because those are the two reasons I keep my iphone jailbroken.

Background apps is my #1 want for iPhone (#2 would be direct camera access APIs and #3 is definitely full flash 10 support for the browser)

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
It doesnt matter if it is 80,000; 8,000; 800; or 8$.
Its still money that Pika is entitled to, and it isnt fair that he not be able to make that money for his/ his team's hard work.

I understand your post was not belittling piracy, im using your post as a jump point, not really directed at you.

I totally agree that it isn't fair that Pika isn't getting compensated for his hard work. I am in the same boat as I am paying additional bandwidth fees because of them using my online services. I just don't thinks its fair to over-represent loss due to piracy.

FOXEO

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2009
Tennessee

Bingo. People mistakenly think that pirates pirate because they don't want to pay. Sometimes they pirate because they don't think it's worth paying for. Doesn't make it right, doesn't excuse it... But that's reality.

BTW, check your math, 1 in 100 vs $80,000 and $8000.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Something else that is missing from a lot of app store apps is a free version or some kind of trial period. Developers have gotten better about making free lite versions to try out an app but with a lot of apps its a crap shoot on whether its good or not. There are paid jailbroken apps you can download through rock my phone and they all come with a 10 day trial. At the end of the trial the app stops working so if you like it then you buy it if not then you aren't out any money for an app that you didn't like.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
If you think something's worth using, it goes to follow that it's also worth paying for. There's no ifs and buts about that.

strike1555

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
Wahhhhhh. Quit crying. Seriously, if you didn't see the possibility of piracy, then you absolutely chose the wrong profession.

If people like Pika spent half the time they did crying about pirates on actually implementing anti-piracy measures, then they would see reduced rates. Apple doesn't do anything about it? Then it's up to you to adapt on your own.

Look at Beejive. To my knowledge that's the only application that has proven to be uncrackable (permanently).

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

Sorry to hear that, but I'm jailbroken and haven't pirated a single app, and don't even know how to (and don't care to either).

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

I agree. Jailbreaking must be stopped, as it enables piracy.

People are losing thousands of dollars.....for what?

So others can have wallpaper behind their icons and run apps simultaneously? The cost far exceeds the benefits. Start attacking it, now.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

I agree. My iPod Touch has whatever background I want, a great reflective OS X dock, and custom icons. Not everybody wants exactly the stock configuration that Apple wants them to have. I couldn't care less about pirating apps - I simply wanted to have a device that reflected my personal tastes. Loosen the reins on the UI, and you'd likely have a lot less jailbroken devices.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC

So others can have wallpaper behind their icons and run apps simultaneously? The cost far exceeds the benefits. Start attacking it, now.

Jailbreaking will not be stopped, because for every method Apple uses to prevent it, there are equally or more talented programmers out there that will come up with ways to get around it. I don't condone piracy, but there is not and will not be a device that is 100% locked down. There are far too many clever hackers for that to happen.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008

Since the internet is the medium through which all piracy is able to thrive everyone call your internet providers and stop your service. What you don't pirate anything? Well I'm sorry but that doesn't matter because you use something that allows for piracy so you're lumped in with the people who do steal people's hard work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.