Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I re-installed iWork 08 after getting a new HD and since then every time I open it and start writing it writes in white/invisible and there is no way I can change it. I made a screen capture video with quicktime. if you can please take a look and tell me what you think is wrong with my macbook..

Click Here to Watch on Youtube

What do you think it is should I re-install it?

PeggyD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Covington, WA, USA
I have Pages from iWork '06, '08 & '09 & don't have any problems but I have seen others mention this issue.

If you reinstalled iWork '08 from the original disks & haven't run Software Update to get the most recent version, that would likely be the problem, especially if you are using Snow Leopard. Many users are finding problems with the iWork apps in Snow Leopard due to not having the latest updates as of the September 28 installed. For iWork '08 that is Pages 3.0.3 & Numbers 1.0.3. For iWork '09 it's Pages 4.0.2 & Numbers 2.0.2. iWork '09 has since had update 3. I don't use Keynote, but it should also be updated. If you're not running the latest versions & Software Update says your software is up to date, make sure the applications are where the installer initially put them. The updaters are very picky. If the location is not where the updater is programmed to look or if the folder doesn't have the name the updater looks for, it will not work. The applications cannot be renamed or moved. They must be in the iWork '08 or iWork '09 folder in Applications. That iWork folder must be named iWork '08 or iWork '09. If it doesn't have the '08 or '09 Software Update won't find them & the updaters won't work.

iFanaddic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Montréal, Canada
I have Pages from iWork '06, '08 & '09 & don't have any problems but I have seen others mention this issue.

If you reinstalled iWork '08 from the original disks & haven't run Software Update to get the most recent version, that would likely be the problem, especially if you are using Snow Leopard. Many users are finding problems with the iWork apps in Snow Leopard due to not having the latest updates as of the September 28 installed. For iWork '08 that is Pages 3.0.3 & Numbers 1.0.3. For iWork '09 it's Pages 4.0.2 & Numbers 2.0.2. iWork '09 has since had update 3. I don't use Keynote, but it should also be updated. If you're not running the latest versions & Software Update says your software is up to date, make sure the applications are where the installer initially put them. The updaters are very picky. If the location is not where the updater is programmed to look or if the folder doesn't have the name the updater looks for, it will not work. The applications cannot be renamed or moved. They must be in the iWork '08 or iWork '09 folder in Applications. That iWork folder must be named iWork '08 or iWork '09. If it doesn't have the '08 or '09 Software Update won't find them & the updaters won't work.

You are a genius, I recreated the folder, drag the applications into it and suddenly updates where available for my computer. it works like a charm now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.