Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Hey all,

I downloaded and opened and installed MySQL, but now I cannot find how to run it. Looking at the apple developer page it says to do a command in the terminal and then it should configure. But when I write this command into terminal it gives me an error saying it cannot be found.

I downloaded the .pkg app for 10.5 because people were saying it works with 10.6 which I have.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Stephen

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
What command did you try? You'll likely need to edit your environment PATH to include the binaries for MySQL. Do you know where MySQL was installed?

SRossi

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
What command did you try? You'll likely need to edit your environment PATH to include the binaries for MySQL. Do you know where MySQL was installed?

Think I may have found it out using a package was way further ahead of the documents than I was meant to be, I was still trying to compile it, but it has already installed. I'll try running it, if that don't work I'll say what happened.

Thanks though,

Stephen

EDIT: Right it has installed successfully but now the command that apple says to use:

Code:
sudo /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

does not work, I had a look in the folder and mysqld_safe is not there, any other way of running it?

Thanks,

Stephen

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Don't bother with the Apple docs just read the MySQL documentation on their website. If you are running Snow Leopard make sure you download the 64 bit version of MySQL (download 5.1.40 in package format). Then it is a piece of cake to use as (if I remember correctly) it already sets the PATH for you basically just gets you going.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
You can try doing a search for that executable,

Code:
sudo locate mysqld_safe
or more extensive search
Code:
sudo find /usr -name "mysqld_safe"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.