PDA

View Full Version : which ibook

kevinuaa
Jul 25, 2004, 03:22 PM
i'm going to buy a new ibook tomorrow.
i'm going to get a 60gb hd, airport extreme, bluetooth, combodrive 14".
Problem is, i have a limited budget.
I'm not sure if i should get the 1.2 GHz with 512 MB Ram or
1 GHZ with 768.

I'd like to be able to use virtual pc for very simple stuff (chinese webbrowsing, writing).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Also, would you suggest i buy a used 12" 867mhz G4 PB with 40GB/768MB RAM , airport, BT, Panther, for about 400 less, instead?

Oh, the choices! :)

LeeTom
Jul 25, 2004, 03:31 PM
Personally, I would suggest the powerbook over the iBook. I enjoy the higher quality display and keyboard, and those alone are worth it to me to use one.

Lee Tom

quagmire
Jul 25, 2004, 03:48 PM
If you get the 1.2 Ghz I would get the 12" powerbook. Only $100 more for alo better quality. If you get 1 GHz get powerbook. The powerbook is alot nicer. I got one. Alot more portable and a better desktop replacement.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 25, 2004, 04:26 PM
Why not see if there is a refurb 12" or 15" on the Apple Store? Seen some deals over there that make the iBook pale in comparison.

JzzTrump22
Jul 25, 2004, 04:43 PM
Go for the PB. I think you will be much happier.

kevinuaa
Jul 25, 2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks, but back to the original question, which is better,
1.2 Ghz w/512MB
or 1 Ghz w/768?

C-Mezak
Jul 25, 2004, 04:57 PM
1.2 Ghz w/512MB
or 1 Ghz w/768?

That depends on what you will be doing. For simple tasks done one at a time, the faster processor will make things go quicker, but if you want to run large programs or multi-task, then the extra ram will get you more bang for your byte.

But listen to these people. I love my 12" pb. best computing experience ivve ever had. ibooks are nice, but if theres a powerbook in your range, its almost always the better buy.

good luck!
Charlie

Mord
Jul 25, 2004, 05:42 PM
1.2 Ghz w/512MB
or 1 Ghz w/768?

apple ram is expensive and you could upgrade it latter 512MB is fine you cannot upgrade the prosessor so go with the 1.2GHz ibook

but i'd just get a refurb powerbook., unless your going to use it at school then get the ibook they are far more rugged.

you could save a whole bunch of cash and get a refurb ibook

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71901/wo/YBUNlfZYPdj82XJ5Fo32N48MnAx/0.0.7.1.0.6.13.0.4.0.0.0.0.3.1.1.0?56,69

there's a 1.2GHz ibook for $1300 at the moment with the spare cash you could max out the ram.

there is a 12" powerbook for only $50 more and it has a 5200 ultra which you would need for core image in 10.4 (very important for lastability)

but then there is a 15" 1GHz powerbook that would be fast enough and is unarguably the coolest thing on earth and if you could stretch for it that is what i would get.

as for screen size both ibooks and the 12" powerbook have the same resulotion so there is the same amout of screen space just streatched out in the 14".

thehuncamunca
Jul 25, 2004, 10:06 PM
go for the 1.2, if you need the extra hard drive space and airport extreme it's only $70 odd for a 20% processor boost

as others mentioned, buy the ram elsewhere, compusa has PNY DDR 333 512MB chips for $65 after rebate this week

(make sure you have a really small screwdriver when you upgrade the memory, i didn't have one and the local hardware store didn't either finally went to a food store and bought a glass repair kit for it's small screwdriver)

1.2 Ghz w/512MB
or 1 Ghz w/768?

jsw
Jul 25, 2004, 10:18 PM
I doubt you'll see any real difference between 1 Ghz and 1.2 GHz. The RAM will be more noticeable.

However, I'd go for either the 12" iBook - which has exactly the same resolution and is simply smaller - or bump up to a PowerBook (which, as has been noted, can actually be cheaper if you get a refurb - I just don't fancy refurbs personally, but there's no reason not to get one).

I just don't see the value of the 14" iBook. i would if it has a better screen resolution. As it stands, I can't see the value of it. Just me.

And, FWIW, standing in the Apple Store yesterday, I couldn't discern any difference in quality between the 12" iBook and the 12" PB screens even with side-by-side comparison. Are people sure they aren't the same LCD? They look the same. And the 14" iBook screen looked great too. Just not enough bigger for me to spend the price premium.

jsw
Jul 25, 2004, 10:21 PM
go for the 1.2, if you need the extra hard drive space and airport extreme it's only $70 odd for a 20% processor boost

It's probably worth the $70. Hell, it's almost definitely worth the $70. But it won't likely yield anything like a 20% boost in most apps/usage. Too many things besides the CPU affect performance.

Alfie
Jul 25, 2004, 10:33 PM
I have a 14" 1 ghz ibook purchased last November and I like it a lot...I realize that the screen resolution is the same as the 12", but the bigger screen just seems more comfortable to me and my near-sighted eyes.

As far as your two choices, I would take the 1.2 ghz iBook with a little less RAM. You can always add RAM later, but you only get one crack at picking a processor. Why not pick the fastest one you can afford?

Either way, I think you'll enjoy your purchase. The iBooks are great. Good Luck.

Alfie