PDA

View Full Version : beige g3 vcore mod?

wr0x2
Jul 25, 2004, 03:26 PM
I have a couple of old beige G3s, one running at 233 mhz. I want to overclock it as far as it will go, and I don't care about blowing the processor or logic board since I got it out of the garbage and I have more. Anyway, I tried the jumper config for 266 mhz w/ 66mhz bus and it'll boot os9, but 300 mhz just doesn't work. I have excellent cooling in the form of a huge athlon heatsink and voltmodded fan so I'm not worried about overheating. Is there some way that I can increase voltage to the processor so I can get a stable 300mhz overclock?

Mord
Jul 25, 2004, 05:25 PM
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4CARDS/g4_zif_voltage_mod/g4_zif_voltage_mod.html#table

this may be of help.

most socket A heatsink's can be made to fit a zif socket by bending the clip, you'll see if you try to put one on, it takes about 20 mins with a hammer to get it to fit i have a copper spire heatsink fan on my g3 this keeps it nice and cool at 500MHz (was 400).

if that table dose not apply to your zif just trawl through www.xlr8yourmac.com untill you can find the info

wr0x2
Jul 25, 2004, 08:57 PM
Maybe you misread my first post, sorry if I didn't explain that the socket A heatsink is already attached. Also, I am running with the original g3, I don't have a g4.

Mord
Jul 26, 2004, 05:56 AM
sorry i clicked reply and went to take a no.2 and when i got back i completely forgot that you said that.

that table applys to all zif's because they are the settings for the voltage that will be supplyed to the g3/g4 not ones that are specific to the cpu type.

also be wary of useing high power peltiers on that power supply only use low power ones below 20w.

wr0x2
Jul 26, 2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the info. Also, I'm using a 400w atx powersupply and a secondary 250w voltmodded one for cooling. I don't have to worry about straining my psu I believe :D.

applemacdude
Jul 26, 2004, 07:01 PM
http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~t-imai/g3ae1.html

u can overclock up to 475mhz and keep like taht if u have a good cooling system...