PDA

View Full Version : iWar looms as Gates muscles in on music

MacBytes
Jul 25, 2004, 04:44 PM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: iWar looms as Gates muscles in on music (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040725174446)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

wrldwzrd89
Jul 25, 2004, 06:05 PM
Regardless of how this 'iWar' turns out, I'll continue to stick with iTunes, promote AAC, and shun WMA. I hope other iTMS users do the same.

Trowaman
Jul 25, 2004, 06:46 PM
Regardless of how this 'iWar' turns out, I'll continue to stick with iTunes, promote AAC, and shun WMA. I hope other iTMS users do the same.

ditto.

By the way, I'm not seeing Sony as a key player in this. The store has launched (as far as I know, correct me if this is wrong) and it's not doing much.

The idea of all ATRAK files is just bad, they're not gonna be so key in this battle.

M$ however . . . well music fans seem to take it to heart when bands "sell out" so maybe they will see M$ as a sleezy wannabe trying to kill their buzz. Uncoolness could destroy your product.

Here's hoping iTunes comes out on top. . .

Keynoteuser
Jul 25, 2004, 06:49 PM
BetaMax was superior but never took off. The iTunes music store, on the other hand, is the BIGGEST and MOST POPULAR of all the online stores. This stuff just makes me shake my head...and then I realize these are the same people who ONLY use Windows and then write stories wondering what we can do about all the spyware...

jbembe
Jul 25, 2004, 07:50 PM
I think they stink. First, they sell no mac hardware/software, then they cancel sales of the iPod in their stores (I thought, does anyone know?) and now they're partnering with M$.

Stella
Jul 25, 2004, 07:52 PM
Prepare for the usual dirty tricks.. microsoft have never been able to play on a level playing field -

DOS - nope.. they forced licensees to pay for msdos for each machine sold even if it didn't include msdos

windows - nope.. forcing licensees to sell windows only - and not other alternatives otherwise they wouldn't get the discounts.

logitech mice - ms negotiated with logitech to provide ms with oem mice.. however, micrsoft only did this to get logitechs technical and financial data

compression software - nope - they stole the Stak code and included it in their msdos

The list goes on.. I'm sure microsoft will be pulling some stunts once more... I wonder how long it'll be before HP decide to drop the HPod in preference to the microsoft POS.

Added:

When microsoft do play on a level playing field.. its a disaster.

msn - the original one - flopped - they had to relaunch it

smartphone - again, its being walked over by Symbian and Java implementations of smartphone OSes... infact Stinger (aka Stinker) took an age to be ready, and still its a bloated mess.

pda software - had to be renamed and relaunched many times.. microsoft pda's require high memory and processor usage.

Xbox - poor sales, and again, its being trounced by Sony playstation

Photorun
Jul 25, 2004, 08:09 PM
Prepare for the usual dirty tricks.. microsoft have never been able to play on a level playing field -

That's a brilliant synopsis Stella, kudos. I know there's a few extra that should be added but my memory recall is a bit fuzzy right now. And you're right, M$ only knows how to win by playing dirty, basically just copying whatever they can beg, borrow, rip-off, or steal and throw a lot of money, marketing, and strong arm tactics to the situation.

M$ = championing mediocrity. And proof humans aren't that smart, they eat up the chum they shovel off their plates by the truckload.

ALoLA
Jul 25, 2004, 10:56 PM
Why do I have the feeling that M$ is somehow involved in this Real Networks story about cracking Fairplay? (Soon to be posted on MacRumors/MacBytes, I'm sure :) ) Desperate times call for desperate measures by Real, I guess. I hope the RIAA see this as a copyright violation and stops selling their stuff on Real's store. I hope there are monetary damages as well. :) Bye bye Real. ;)

jsw
Jul 25, 2004, 10:58 PM

Agreed.

yamabushi
Jul 26, 2004, 04:03 AM
Just further reason for Apple to develop a professional office suite to compete with M$ Office. If they really get ticked off they could release it on multiple platforms, including Windows.