Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
London
As some of you may know I bought two iPod minis as I was unsure of which colour I preferred. I now have a pink and a blue one, I prefer the blue one but the feel of the click wheel is significantly better on the pink one. Particularly the centre button which goes along way down and clunks on the blue one whereas it is a nice short quiet click on the pink one. The wheel actually also moves a little inside the metal of the blue mini but not the pink one.

I was wondering if the buttons deteriorate over time? and maybe the pink one will end up like the blue anyway?

I can't decide which to keep right now :rolleyes: I am very surprised however at the discrepancy in quality between two brand new minis and I much prefer the old 3G iPod touch sensitive centre button.

JOD8FY

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
United States
I'd also be interested in the answer to this question and to see what people think of the quality of the 4G iPod click-wheel. I'm thinking of getting a mini, so I'd like to know if it will last me a while.

JOD8FY

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sabbath said:
As some of you may know I bought two iPod minis as I was unsure of which colour I preferred. I now have a pink and a blue one, I prefer the blue one but the feel of the click wheel is significantly better on the pink one. Particularly the centre button which goes along way down and clunks on the blue one whereas it is a nice short quiet click on the pink one. The wheel actually also moves a little inside the metal of the blue mini but not the pink one.

I was wondering if the buttons deteriorate over time? and maybe the pink one will end up like the blue anyway?

I can't decide which to keep right now :rolleyes: I am very surprised however at the discrepancy in quality between two brand new minis and I much prefer the old 3G iPod touch sensitive centre button.

There's been some mention of different backlights on the iPods (i.e, ones made at place X have white backlights, whereas the same model, made at place Y had blue ones). I wouldn't be surprised if there were different other parts as well, meaning that your wheels might actually be different model numbers. Or, of course, maybe one was made before the other - and a part improvement was implemented in the meanwhile - and they just shipped at around the same time.

I played with a 4G 'pod at the Apple Store yesterday for some time. The wheel felt great. Nice tactile response.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Chip NoVaMac said:
I would hope that Apple designed to take 2 to 4 years of serious use before failure.

2 years of serious use. Then AppleCare expires, and the thing can fall to pieces. ;)

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I got my 4G 40GB model yesterday, and while I am impressed with the click wheel, I have a problem with the centre button which is sticking down into the unit occasionally requiring a second push to release it.

I'm going to return it :( ; I don't know yet if this is just my unit or more widespread.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I got my 4th Gen Ipod this morning. Overall, I'm very impressed with it. The click wheel is fantastic; i think it is a lot better than the 3rd Gen wheel and buttons. Its really nice and responsive. I hope the battery life is better then on my last ipod...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.