Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several U.S. MacRumors readers have reported that Apple has begun shipping the TomTom iPhone car kit, which finally appeared in the company's U.S. online store several weeks ago. The kit, which is priced at $119.95 and does not include the navigation application, offers an iPhone mount with integrated GPS receiver for improved performance, hands-free calling, and a built-in speaker for clearer spoken directions.

A few European customers had been able to get their hands on the kit at Apple's brick-and-mortar stores, although supplies there now appear to be tight with shipping windows currently set at 4-6 weeks compared to the 2-3 week window in the U.S. for new orders.

Article Link: Apple Begins Shipping TomTom Car Kit in U.S.

ptaylor874

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2006
I just wish the way it was mounted was better, not just glue.

Ummm... It's not just glue. It uses the same suction mount as their other units. I think there is an adhesive disk you can use as well. (Not sure if you stick that to where you want to me able to mount it with suction or exactly how that works.)

I've used a similar type of suction mount with Griffin's Window Seat. It's not just a simple suction cup. You place it where you want to put it, then turn another part to increase the suction. It sticks great to glass, be it the windshield, a side window, or the sunroof (for kids to watch in the back seat), for days at a time. The Window Seat isn't the best implementation of it - I understand that TomTom's is better (easier to attach and detach).

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I got mine yesterday and LOVE it. Navigon app + TomTom car kit = win.

So does the Navigon app actually uses the Tom Tom's GPS chip, or is the Tom Tom just a window mount when used with another navigation app? I would like to know this.

fyre57lp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Austin TX
Yes, Since the gps/speaker are connected via bluetooth, they work independently from the tom tom app. Even google maps is faster.

Michael07

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Does anyone know if the Apple Stores are starting to receive the Car Kit?

Thank you.

ptaylor874

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2006
Oh - BTW - Anyone know if they are planning to stock them in Apple stores?

As for the price - everyone complains that it is too expensive for "a mount". But, it's not just a mount. A simple mount wouldn't be worth more than about $30. It's got a GPS chip in it that is similar in quality to a standalone units GPS chip, plus a speaker (the built-in speaker isn't loud or clear enough) and a mic. I understand the enhanced GPS chip is accessed via Bluetooth, so other GPS programs can use it instead of the on-board GPS chip. It can serve as a handsfree speakerphone, so no need to buy a car kit if your car doesn't support Bluetooth (mine don't).

All together, I honestly do think this price tag is a little high - it would be more reasonable at $99, but I'm still thinking seriously about getting one.

ptaylor874

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2006
DOH - Not sure how this double posted - I wrote it and after submitting it I had to sign back in. Looks like my session timed out...

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
Now we need someone to test it on an iPod touch, I'd be thrilled to see it work on an iPod. On the other hand, at that price (car kit + app) you can get a very decent Tomtom dedicated GPS-navigator and use your iPod for something else...

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
With apologies to anyone here who bought them I feel like the dock and app are for those with more money then common sense.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Suction mounts are magnets for thieves. They leave a circular mark on the windshield that says "break into my car - I have a GPS unit for you to steal!". The thief will be very annoyed when they just find the Tom-Tom mount - until they figure out that they sell for > $100 LOL They will undoubtedly steal other stuff and break your window in the process.

I prefer the friction mounts that just sit on your dashboard and fit easily into the glove box. They are much more stealthy, and work great. Mine never slips or slides around. This is the one I use for my Garmin Nuvi:

http://www.buy.com/prod/garmin-010-...in-portable-friction/q/loc/111/204297424.html

Is there something like that for the iPhone? If so, I would like to buy one.

*edit* I did a web search and found that Arkon sells a general purpose friction mount that could most likely be used with the Tom-Tom mount:

http://www.arkon.com/weighted_friction_dash_mount.php

They also sell a mount designed for the iPhone.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
So, Apple online is now shipping these?

Coincidentally I called today to cancel my order and they wouldn't let me. They said it was prepared to ship, but still telling me it will ship December 4th. What a painful conversation that was, but now I suppose it makes sense.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I may get one if I happen to come upon a gift card, or if they show up on ebay at a cheaper price.

bluequaTTro

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2009
what a rip off, tomtom is a joke. sub par navigation app $99 and another $119 for their stupid car mount that does nothing but improve gps signal. they are r@ping many people.

Jape

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
what a rip off, tomtom is a joke. sub par navigation app $99 and another $119 for their stupid car mount that does nothing but improve gps signal. they are r@ping many people.

well i do agree with you that it is to expensive, but it does a little more than improve the gps. It also works as a hands free calling device with a speaker, charges your iphone, works with other gps apps, and plays your music through your car stereo.

karlrmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
IPM112 dash mount for iphone

I just ordered this on ebay from BUY and it cost 13.99 plus 8 bucks shipping, for new unopened unit. A great deal if you ask me. Its less than the other mounts you find and i think it will work great.

*edit* I did a web search and found that Arkon sells a general purpose friction mount that could most likely be used with the Tom-Tom mount:

http://www.arkon.com/weighted_friction_dash_mount.php

They also sell a mount designed for the iPhone.

tstreete

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2009
I just received notice that the tomtom car kit I ordered from Bottom Line Telecommunications has shipped, and should be here in a couple of days. I paid $90 shipped. (Don't know if they have any more in stock.) I expect it will be available elsewhere online for discounted prices soon.

I agree that it would be nice if it were cheaper, but if you add up a separate quality car mount, power cable, hands free kit, and external gps, you're going to be close or over $90 in any case. So maybe it's a luxury, but not a ridiculous one. Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that. So if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it; but I don't know why so many feel they have to act so outraged over the cost.

Oh - BTW - Anyone know if they are planning to stock them in Apple stores?

As for the price - everyone complains that it is too expensive for "a mount". But, it's not just a mount. A simple mount wouldn't be worth more than about $30. It's got a GPS chip in it that is similar in quality to a standalone units GPS chip, plus a speaker (the built-in speaker isn't loud or clear enough) and a mic. I understand the enhanced GPS chip is accessed via Bluetooth, so other GPS programs can use it instead of the on-board GPS chip. It can serve as a handsfree speakerphone, so no need to buy a car kit if your car doesn't support Bluetooth (mine don't).

All together, I honestly do think this price tag is a little high - it would be more reasonable at $99, but I'm still thinking seriously about getting one.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that. So if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it; but I don't know why so many feel they have to act so outraged over the cost.

Thread over, tstreete wins.

Jape

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
I just received notice that the tomtom car kit I ordered from Bottom Line Telecommunications has shipped, and should be here in a couple of days. I paid $90 shipped. (Don't know if they have any more in stock.) I expect it will be available elsewhere online for discounted prices soon.

I agree that it would be nice if it were cheaper, but if you add up a separate quality car mount, power cable, hands free kit, and external gps, you're going to be close or over $90 in any case. So maybe it's a luxury, but not a ridiculous one. Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that. So if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it; but I don't know why so many feel they have to act so outraged over the cost.

They do have more of these in stock, but I was wondering if you have used their services before. it seems a little weird that they would offer it at such a low price, and they do not use paypal.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop...000TOMTOMU01_BCA2728P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
If TomTom can turn this car mount into a full-on media center, that hooks the iPhone to the car stereo and uses it's speakers for speaker phone and has a better microphone than the iPhone, this car kit could take off and become an entire media center in itself. They could become the standard for iPhone-car media centers! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.