PDA

View Full Version : Apple Begins Shipping TomTom Car Kit in U.S.

MacRumors
Nov 3, 2009, 08:45 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/03/apple-begins-shipping-tomtom-car-kit-in-u-s/)

Several U.S. MacRumors readers have reported that Apple has begun shipping the TomTom iPhone car kit, which finally appeared (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/23/tomtom-car-kit-appears-in-apples-u-s-online-store-ships-in-2-3-weeks/) in the company's U.S. online store several weeks ago. The kit, which is priced at $119.95 and does not include the navigation application, offers an iPhone mount with integrated GPS receiver for improved performance, hands-free calling, and a built-in speaker for clearer spoken directions.

A few European customers (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/13/tomtom-gps-car-kit-for-iphone-unboxing/) had been able to get their hands on the kit at Apple's brick-and-mortar stores, although supplies there now appear to be tight with shipping windows currently set at 4-6 weeks compared to the 2-3 week window in the U.S. for new orders.

Article Link: Apple Begins Shipping TomTom Car Kit in U.S. (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/03/apple-begins-shipping-tomtom-car-kit-in-u-s/)

optophobia
Nov 3, 2009, 09:08 AM
I just wish the way it was mounted was better, not just glue.

fyre57lp
Nov 3, 2009, 09:28 AM
I got mine yesterday and LOVE it. Navigon app + TomTom car kit = win.

DiveBum
Nov 3, 2009, 09:29 AM
:eek: $119.00 for a mount without the software? They must be real proud of that!

ptaylor874
Nov 3, 2009, 09:31 AM
I just wish the way it was mounted was better, not just glue.

Ummm... It's not just glue. It uses the same suction mount as their other units. I think there is an adhesive disk you can use as well. (Not sure if you stick that to where you want to me able to mount it with suction or exactly how that works.)

I've used a similar type of suction mount with Griffin's Window Seat. It's not just a simple suction cup. You place it where you want to put it, then turn another part to increase the suction. It sticks great to glass, be it the windshield, a side window, or the sunroof (for kids to watch in the back seat), for days at a time. The Window Seat isn't the best implementation of it - I understand that TomTom's is better (easier to attach and detach).

VenusianSky
Nov 3, 2009, 09:49 AM
I got mine yesterday and LOVE it. Navigon app + TomTom car kit = win.

So does the Navigon app actually uses the Tom Tom's GPS chip, or is the Tom Tom just a window mount when used with another navigation app? I would like to know this.

fyre57lp
Nov 3, 2009, 10:01 AM
Yes, Since the gps/speaker are connected via bluetooth, they work independently from the tom tom app. Even google maps is faster.

Michael07
Nov 3, 2009, 10:10 AM
Does anyone know if the Apple Stores are starting to receive the Car Kit?

Thank you.

ptaylor874
Nov 3, 2009, 10:10 AM
Oh - BTW - Anyone know if they are planning to stock them in Apple stores?

As for the price - everyone complains that it is too expensive for "a mount". But, it's not just a mount. A simple mount wouldn't be worth more than about $30. It's got a GPS chip in it that is similar in quality to a standalone units GPS chip, plus a speaker (the built-in speaker isn't loud or clear enough) and a mic. I understand the enhanced GPS chip is accessed via Bluetooth, so other GPS programs can use it instead of the on-board GPS chip. It can serve as a handsfree speakerphone, so no need to buy a car kit if your car doesn't support Bluetooth (mine don't).

All together, I honestly do think this price tag is a little high - it would be more reasonable at $99, but I'm still thinking seriously about getting one.

ptaylor874
Nov 3, 2009, 10:11 AM
DOH - Not sure how this double posted - I wrote it and after submitting it I had to sign back in. Looks like my session timed out...

D3lta
Nov 3, 2009, 10:39 AM
lol $120.

G4-power
Nov 3, 2009, 11:01 AM
Now we need someone to test it on an iPod touch, I'd be thrilled to see it work on an iPod. On the other hand, at that price (car kit + app) you can get a very decent Tomtom dedicated GPS-navigator and use your iPod for something else...

Redline13
Nov 3, 2009, 12:21 PM
With apologies to anyone here who bought them I feel like the dock and app are for those with more money then common sense.

wacky4alanis
Nov 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
Suction mounts are magnets for thieves. They leave a circular mark on the windshield that says "break into my car - I have a GPS unit for you to steal!". The thief will be very annoyed when they just find the Tom-Tom mount - until they figure out that they sell for > $100 LOL They will undoubtedly steal other stuff and break your window in the process.

I prefer the friction mounts that just sit on your dashboard and fit easily into the glove box. They are much more stealthy, and work great. Mine never slips or slides around. This is the one I use for my Garmin Nuvi:

http://www.buy.com/prod/garmin-010-10908-00-portable-friction-mount-garmin-portable-friction/q/loc/111/204297424.html

Is there something like that for the iPhone? If so, I would like to buy one.

*edit* I did a web search and found that Arkon sells a general purpose friction mount that could most likely be used with the Tom-Tom mount:

http://www.arkon.com/weighted_friction_dash_mount.php

They also sell a mount designed for the iPhone.

dagomike
Nov 3, 2009, 01:04 PM
So, Apple online is now shipping these?

Coincidentally I called today to cancel my order and they wouldn't let me. They said it was prepared to ship, but still telling me it will ship December 4th. What a painful conversation that was, but now I suppose it makes sense.

Jape
Nov 3, 2009, 01:28 PM
anyone here have a Itouch they can use to test it out with?

VenusianSky
Nov 3, 2009, 01:28 PM
I may get one if I happen to come upon a gift card, or if they show up on ebay at a cheaper price.

bluequaTTro
Nov 3, 2009, 03:54 PM
what a rip off, tomtom is a joke. sub par navigation app $99 and another $119 for their stupid car mount that does nothing but improve gps signal. they are r@ping many people.

Jape
Nov 3, 2009, 04:30 PM
what a rip off, tomtom is a joke. sub par navigation app $99 and another $119 for their stupid car mount that does nothing but improve gps signal. they are r@ping many people.

well i do agree with you that it is to expensive, but it does a little more than improve the gps. It also works as a hands free calling device with a speaker, charges your iphone, works with other gps apps, and plays your music through your car stereo.

karlrmac
Nov 3, 2009, 04:32 PM
I just ordered this on ebay from BUY and it cost 13.99 plus 8 bucks shipping, for new unopened unit. A great deal if you ask me. Its less than the other mounts you find and i think it will work great.

*edit* I did a web search and found that Arkon sells a general purpose friction mount that could most likely be used with the Tom-Tom mount:

http://www.arkon.com/weighted_friction_dash_mount.php

They also sell a mount designed for the iPhone.

tstreete
Nov 3, 2009, 07:06 PM
I just received notice that the tomtom car kit I ordered from Bottom Line Telecommunications has shipped, and should be here in a couple of days. I paid $90 shipped. (Don't know if they have any more in stock.) I expect it will be available elsewhere online for discounted prices soon.

I agree that it would be nice if it were cheaper, but if you add up a separate quality car mount, power cable, hands free kit, and external gps, you're going to be close or over $90 in any case. So maybe it's a luxury, but not a ridiculous one. Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that. So if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it; but I don't know why so many feel they have to act so outraged over the cost.

As for the price - everyone complains that it is too expensive for "a mount". But, it's not just a mount. A simple mount wouldn't be worth more than about $30. It's got a GPS chip in it that is similar in quality to a standalone units GPS chip, plus a speaker (the built-in speaker isn't loud or clear enough) and a mic. I understand the enhanced GPS chip is accessed via Bluetooth, so other GPS programs can use it instead of the on-board GPS chip. It can serve as a handsfree speakerphone, so no need to buy a car kit if your car doesn't support Bluetooth (mine don't).

All together, I honestly do think this price tag is a little high - it would be more reasonable at $99, but I'm still thinking seriously about getting one.

HoldFastHope
Nov 3, 2009, 08:50 PM
Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that. So if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it; but I don't know why so many feel they have to act so outraged over the cost.

Thread over, tstreete wins.

Jape
Nov 3, 2009, 08:57 PM
I just received notice that the tomtom car kit I ordered from Bottom Line Telecommunications has shipped, and should be here in a couple of days. I paid $90 shipped. (Don't know if they have any more in stock.) I expect it will be available elsewhere online for discounted prices soon.

I agree that it would be nice if it were cheaper, but if you add up a separate quality car mount, power cable, hands free kit, and external gps, you're going to be close or over $90 in any case. So maybe it's a luxury, but not a ridiculous one. Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that. So if you think it's too expensive, don't buy it; but I don't know why so many feel they have to act so outraged over the cost.

They do have more of these in stock, but I was wondering if you have used their services before. it seems a little weird that they would offer it at such a low price, and they do not use paypal.

http://www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/shop/shop.cgi?action=thispage&thispage=00000TOMTOMU01_BCA2728P.shtml&order_id=!ORDERID!

Jape
Nov 3, 2009, 09:07 PM
I found these sites on google shopping search, the ones without the picture..lol :confused: wonder if these are legit as well.

http://www.google.com/products?q=tomtom+iphone+car+kit&hl=en&sa=N&start=10

iphones4evry1
Nov 4, 2009, 12:48 AM
If TomTom can turn this car mount into a full-on media center, that hooks the iPhone to the car stereo and uses it's speakers for speaker phone and has a better microphone than the iPhone, this car kit could take off and become an entire media center in itself. They could become the standard for iPhone-car media centers! :)

LinMac
Nov 4, 2009, 08:10 AM
Everyone with an iphone is paying at least $840 a year for the privilege of using it, and if all you wanted was cell phone service you could pay half that.

Lets review a few things:

1) Standalone GPS units cost less than $99 today with interfaces similar to the TomTom software and they won't tie up your iPhone while navigating.

2) The hardware itself is far more expensive than it should be given the price point of standalone TomTom GPS hardware. I bought a TomTom GO 730 for about $139 brand new.

3) The Google Maps turn by turn navigation really brings competition that shows just how overpriced these GPS solutions are.

Yes, I pay at least $840 per year for my iPhone that gives me enough functionality to almost call it a computer. The Google Maps navigation software will be included with it soon making it an even better value, but for now the TomTom solution is still overpriced compared to TomTom's own hardware offerings.

tstreete
Nov 4, 2009, 10:51 AM
They do have more of these in stock, but I was wondering if you have used their services before. it seems a little weird that they would offer it at such a low price, and they do not use paypal.

I don't know how they do it at such a discount, but mine just arrived a day early in fine shape, so at least in my case they came through fine.

I'll try it out this afternoon.

Jape
Nov 4, 2009, 11:29 AM
I don't know how they do it at such a discount, but mine just arrived a day early in fine shape, so at least in my case they came through fine.

I'll try it out this afternoon.

Ok, thats good to hear, let me know how it works when you try it out :) I am considering getting it from there

dagomike
Nov 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
It's remarkable how far TomTom's goodwill swung from enthusiasm in early summer to spite. I see a lot of hate on TomTom not on the merits of the kit itself.

It appears to be a quality mount, BT hands-free kit, built in speaker, and car charger. Add that up and it can get pricey, then top it off with the GPS assistance. If that value doesn't make sense to you, don't buy it. To complain they won't sell it to you for $19.95 is just petty.

weing
Nov 4, 2009, 02:26 PM
Jeez. You have to a moron of epic proportions to go this route for a car GPS.

Jape
Nov 4, 2009, 03:15 PM
I was doing some research on bottom line telecommunications and i came across these good reviews: :D

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller770-p1-s4-d1.html

when tstreete comes back and tells me how it works, I will probably order it from this company.

slipper
Nov 4, 2009, 03:27 PM

The point is you can buy a dedicated GPS unit for less than the tomtom mount and app.

wacky4alanis
Nov 4, 2009, 04:17 PM
It is cheaper to buy a standalone unit. But then you have to carry around 2 things instead of 1. For some people (including me), that is the major selling point of using the iPhone for navigation. I don't like bringing stuff with me when I travel. The more my iPhone can do, the less junk I need to take with me. It has already replaced my iPod and my laptop. If it can replace my Garmin too, I'm willing to pay extra to make it work.

As for the apps that download maps on the fly, I'm not interested in those as my ONLY navigation solution. There are plenty of places I drive that don't have any cell coverage at all, let alone 3G. I want an app that has the maps preloaded. I haven't decided between the available apps yet, but I am leaning towards Navigon. If their traffic thingy works well, I'll most likely go that route.

tstreete
Nov 4, 2009, 05:43 PM
I was doing some research on bottom line telecommunications and i came across these good reviews: :D

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller770-p1-s4-d1.html

when tstreete comes back and tells me how it works, I will probably order it from this company.

Gave it a brief test around town this afternoon. MotionX GPS lite status screen reported an accuracy (radius?) of between 30 feet to 50 feet, whereas without the TomTom mount it ranged from about 75 ft to 256 ft or worse. So, yeah, it improves GPS accuracy, and I did notice the difference when using the TomTom app.

The thing is well built and elegant, the nicest carphone mount design I've ever seen. You have to be gentle sticking the iPhone into the mount, but you can do it with one hand. You have to think about where to install the mount in your car -- window, dash, left or right of the wheel etc. -- and you can't leave the iPhone in a case (OK for me, might not be for others). The power and audio cables stick out of the side, which is a bit awkward, especially when you rotate it; I'm thinking of picking up some adhesive-backed clips at RadioShack to keep the wires out of the way as they wind their way down to the power and aux jacks. I've made only one phone call so far, which worked fine, but the phone uses the mount's speaker even when you're plugged into the car stereo (music and/or Tomtom app voice stops in the car speakers, and then the phone call comes out of the mount speaker). I could hear the phone call fine driving around town, but I'm a little worried about how well I'll be able to hear phone calls at freeway speeds in my noisy little car (a Honda Fit).

The acid test will be a substantial trip that includes some skyscraper canyons in a big city.

Last I checked it looked like BLT had sold out and was awaiting more shipments.

Jape
Nov 4, 2009, 06:25 PM
Gave it a brief test around town this afternoon. MotionX GPS lite status screen reported an accuracy (radius?) of between 30 feet to 50 feet, whereas without the TomTom mount it ranged from about 75 ft to 256 ft or worse. So, yeah, it improves GPS accuracy, and I did notice the difference when using the TomTom app.

The thing is well built and elegant, the nicest carphone mount design I've ever seen. You have to be gentle sticking the iPhone into the mount, but you can do it with one hand. You have to think about where to install the mount in your car -- window, dash, left or right of the wheel etc. -- and you can't leave the iPhone in a case (OK for me, might not be for others). The power and audio cables stick out of the side, which is a bit awkward, especially when you rotate it; I'm thinking of picking up some adhesive-backed clips at RadioShack to keep the wires out of the way as they wind their way down to the power and aux jacks. I've made only one phone call so far, which worked fine, but the phone uses the mount's speaker even when you're plugged into the car stereo (music and/or Tomtom app voice stops in the car speakers, and then the phone call comes out of the mount speaker). I could hear the phone call fine driving around town, but I'm a little worried about how well I'll be able to hear phone calls at freeway speeds in my noisy little car (a Honda Fit).

The acid test will be a substantial trip that includes some skyscraper canyons in a big city.

Last I checked it looked like BLT had sold out and was awaiting more shipments.

Thanks a ton for for your review, I am now going to buy the kit from BLT. They are on backorder with the product and will be recieving a shipment in on the 11 of nov, but for this low price I believe it is worth the wait ( about %30 off). Thanks again.

bohbot16
Nov 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
I've made only one phone call so far, which worked fine, but the phone uses the mount's speaker even when you're plugged into the car stereo (music and/or Tomtom app voice stops in the car speakers, and then the phone call comes out of the mount speaker). I could hear the phone call fine driving around town, but I'm a little worried about how well I'll be able to hear phone calls at freeway speeds in my noisy little car (a Honda Fit).

By any chance do you have a bluetooth headset to test with? I'm wondering if the iPhone can be connected to this kit for the improved GPS while using another bluetooth device for the handsfree calling.

HoldFastHope
Nov 4, 2009, 11:27 PM
Jeez. You have to a moron of epic proportions to go this route for a car GPS.

Because?

I use the TomTom app with a DLO vent mount, car charger and stereo with 3.5mm input. Total cost including the mount was about AU $100.

I had a Navman S45 which cost $280, heavily discounted. It was stolen from my car (I'd hidden everything, but they broke in anyway :() and the TomTom/iPhone route is actually more convenient for me because:

1. I now get voice instructions over the car speakers
2. I don't have to worry about my GPS being stolen from my car
3. I can navigate to anyone in my address book without having to enter an address (assuming I have it to begin with)
4. I don't have to juggle car chargers. Dedicated GPS's don't last long without them, neither do iPhones that are pumping music for long periods :)
5. My nav app is now with me everywhere, I don't get the "Oh man I wish I brought my Navman" problem anymore.

Granted, I didn't pay $150+ for the cradle. But even if I did, it would still be cheaper than the S45 and does a much better job IMO. Note I have the TomTom, but any of the other two nav apps would likely be the same experience.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the convenience far outweighs the cost. Although the fact that we Australians get raped on GPS prices probably doesn't help :)

Frazzle
Nov 5, 2009, 05:15 AM
If Apple made this carkit themselves, I bet that everyone here would accept the price with no questions asked.

I'm glad that this device is not selling in Europe for the usual Apple rate of 1 dollar = 1 euro.

Xtoo
Nov 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
Has anyone tested the unit with Navigon? That would be the only reason I would buy it.
Also, with Google coming up with a free turn-by-turn navigation app... what will happen with the ones we have to pay for?

tstreete
Nov 5, 2009, 12:51 PM
Has anyone tested the unit with Navigon? That would be the only reason I would buy it.
Also, with Google coming up with a free turn-by-turn navigation app... what will happen with the ones we have to pay for?

Haven't tried it with Navigon, but I have tried it with Google Maps, MotionX GPS lite, and G-Map east, and they all work fine (i.e., using the TomTom mount's gps, not the iphone's internal one), so I can't think of a reason why Navigon wouldn't work.

slipper
Nov 5, 2009, 01:57 PM
It is cheaper to buy a standalone unit. But then you have to carry around 2 things instead of 1. For some people (including me), that is the major selling point of using the iPhone for navigation. I don't like bringing stuff with me when I travel. The more my iPhone can do, the less junk I need to take with me. It has already replaced my iPod and my laptop. If it can replace my Garmin too, I'm willing to pay extra to make it work.

As for the apps that download maps on the fly, I'm not interested in those as my ONLY navigation solution. There are plenty of places I drive that don't have any cell coverage at all, let alone 3G. I want an app that has the maps preloaded. I haven't decided between the available apps yet, but I am leaning towards Navigon. If their traffic thingy works well, I'll most likely go that route.
So i assume you will be carrying the TomTom mount and iPhone as one piece at all times? :rolleyes:

ruffdeezy
Nov 5, 2009, 02:01 PM
Who cares.
It's an epic rip off.

I hope the next report out is how they only sold 10% of what they forcasted for these pieces of junk.

hawkeye23
Nov 5, 2009, 03:21 PM
So i assume you will be carrying the TomTom mount and iPhone as one piece at all times? :rolleyes:

Of course. Thats what the fanny pack is for.

ticman
Nov 5, 2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks to Tstreete and Jade for sharing information about the TomTom car kit and "other" places that it can be purchased at a discount. Also thanks for researching other vendors. Also, whoever posted info on the Arkon Friction Mount--also thanks as that may be a good option to avoid window mounting.

I am waiting for Tstreete to do his "acid" test and hopefully report back.

Couple of questions:
Assume you mounted on windshield. How was "view" while driving. Could you see the iphone and maps easily? Might a dashboard mount be better as it would be closer?

Also, how do you connect the mount to your radio system? Sorry if stupid question but haven't seen anything on it other than you need audio cable. Is it hardwired or a plugin somewhere near the radio. From reading the above posts it appears that spoken directions come thru radio speakers as would music BUT phone calls come through iphone/tomtom speakers. Correct?

If I have bluetooth via the steering wheel can that be incorporated with the car kit? not sure i would want to as it was a pain to use when i had it set up in the first place. I also had a BlueAnt bluetooth that I used with my BB Storm but it will not sync my contact list while using the iphone. Might I be able to use this feature? again might just be easier to use iphone voice dialing.

Thanks all for helpful information. I too agree that we each make our own decision on whether or not to by the tomtom dock. It depends on what we are trying to accomplish. Bashing the price point is really counterproductive as we each have the option to buy it or not. oops didn't mean to get on a soapbox here.

Thanks again,

Mike

tstreete
Nov 5, 2009, 08:57 PM
It'll be a month or so before I get to visit a big city, but over at gpspassion.com some people are doing some fairly sophisticated testing of the mount so you can see exactly how well it works.

I mounted on the dash, just left of center, so that it would be in easy reach. My windshield is steeply sloped, so I'd either have to stick it to the windshield right up at the top with wires dangling down from there, or it would be out of reach. The mount comes with a disk, with sticky foam on one side that can stick to a slightly curved dash, and hard shiny plastic on the other that the mount's suction cup can stick to. (There are inexpensive third party mounts of various sorts that can work with tomtom mounts, which would give you more options.)

The mount has a standard stereo mini-plug outlet, just like the earphone jack on a standard mp3 player, so if your car has an "aux" jack, you can use a cable, or if it has a tape player you can plug in one of those tape-player-to-cable adapters.

Not sure about the various bluetooth possibilities, but when you first establish the bluetooth connection in the iphone's preferences, it gives you a choice of which devices to select, so it might be the case that you could use a bluetooth headset or hands-free set while also using the mount.

Thanks to Tstreete and Jade for sharing information about the TomTom car kit and "other" places that it can be purchased at a discount. Also thanks for researching other vendors. Also, whoever posted info on the Arkon Friction Mount--also thanks as that may be a good option to avoid window mounting.

I am waiting for Tstreete to do his "acid" test and hopefully report back.

Couple of questions:
Assume you mounted on windshield. How was "view" while driving. Could you see the iphone and maps easily? Might a dashboard mount be better as it would be closer?

Also, how do you connect the mount to your radio system? Sorry if stupid question but haven't seen anything on it other than you need audio cable. Is it hardwired or a plugin somewhere near the radio. From reading the above posts it appears that spoken directions come thru radio speakers as would music BUT phone calls come through iphone/tomtom speakers. Correct?

If I have bluetooth via the steering wheel can that be incorporated with the car kit? not sure i would want to as it was a pain to use when i had it set up in the first place. I also had a BlueAnt bluetooth that I used with my BB Storm but it will not sync my contact list while using the iphone. Might I be able to use this feature? again might just be easier to use iphone voice dialing.

Thanks all for helpful information. I too agree that we each make our own decision on whether or not to by the tomtom dock. It depends on what we are trying to accomplish. Bashing the price point is really counterproductive as we each have the option to buy it or not. oops didn't mean to get on a soapbox here.

Thanks again,

Mike

wacky4alanis
Nov 6, 2009, 08:42 AM

Of course you need to bring a mount - you need a mount either way. When I say "carry" I don't mean I keep it in a fanny pack 24/7. I mean I bring it with me when I travel. So let's count for the slow people...

Mount + Garmin + iPhone = 3 items
Mount + iPhone = 2 items

Gee - 2 is less than 3! Yay.

Nuvi
Nov 6, 2009, 02:23 PM
Bought TomTom car kit and although I still think its too expensive its handy if you travel a lot by air, rent cars and try to keep everything compact. If you don't have a need to switch you GPS from car to car a stand alone unit would be better due to bigger screen and more features.

Regarding the software Navigon works perfectly with the car kit. The features are close to those you could find in high end stand alone unit meaning its light years a ahead of TomTom's iPhone app, which is just as basic as you can get. In some way its funny how TomTom has a "high end" car dock but their iPhone app is more basic then in their entry level stand alone unit.

slipper
Nov 6, 2009, 03:15 PM
Of course you need to bring a mount - you need a mount either way. When I say "carry" I don't mean I keep it in a fanny pack 24/7. I mean I bring it with me when I travel. So let's count for the slow people...

Mount + Garmin + iPhone = 3 items
Mount + iPhone = 2 items

Gee - 2 is less than 3! Yay.

OK so for the slower people why would you separate the GPS unit and mount when it is being used on a day to day basis? The TomTom mounts are so slim and there is no other use for the unit so there is no point to separate the two for storage. The iPhone is mainly a phone and i would need to separate the two on a regular basis.

Nuvi
Nov 6, 2009, 04:36 PM
OK so for the slower people why would you separate the GPS unit and mount when it is being used on a day to day basis? The TomTom mounts are so slim and there is no other use for the unit so there is no point to separate the two for storage. The iPhone is mainly a phone and i would need to separate the two on a regular basis.

The entry level TomTom units have the slim dock but the more advance ones have the bulky active dock / or non active but still bulky ;) (5x0 - 9x0 series). There is no way you would want to carry around the more advanced units attached to the dock but if you can just leave the dock sticking on your windshield then this is not a problem.

Anyway, iPhone has one undeniable advantage over the stand alone units and thats the ability to choose the software. However, the screen on iPhone is small and the features will probably never be par with high end stand alone units.

wclyffe
Nov 7, 2009, 11:16 AM
I've now read through all 48 comments and I just ordered the Tom Tom Car Kit for $87....here's why. At this price, its a phenomenal deal for the following reasons:

a) I needed a Bluetooth Speakerphone (the law in CA) and was looking at the BluAnt for $79. For a few dollars more, I get a lot more.
b) I love that it is a powered cradle/dock as the current one I have is always a hassle trying to plug in for power, and these apps drain power big time. I use Navigon....it's fabulous.
c) I can directly connect the 3.5mm line out right into my car system and even plug in an FM transmitter when I travel to output the sound from my iPhone 3Gs. Now I can tuck these cables away leaving enough slack to turn it to landscape, but its all ready to use by just snapping the phone in.
d) The enhanced gps receiver chip seems to make quite a difference in the numerous tests you can view on Youtube. Much faster response time when re-routing occurs in "low signal areas". One test in particular left the un-aided iPhone without a signal for quite a long time. Even if we all start using the new Google Maps app, this chip will greatly enhance its performance, too.
e) Landscape mode is fast and easy which is not available in my current dock configuration. A simple, no frills dock like the Kensington that has no power connect, no bluetooth speakerphone, no gps chip, etc lists for $40.

This purchase at this price is a no brainer.

ticman
Nov 7, 2009, 12:00 PM
I assume u have the unit. I am most interested in where u mounted
it. My concern is being able to see the screen and reach it for calling etc.

Thanks

wclyffe
Nov 7, 2009, 02:47 PM
I assume u have the unit. I am most interested in where u mounted
it. My concern is being able to see the screen and reach it for calling etc.

Thanks

I don't have it yet, but suppose to ship mid week. I'm going to use the adhesive disk and mount it pretty close on the dash. I've currently done this with another cheap mount and its much easier and safer for answering calls, making adjustments, etc. Here's a link so you can see how close and solid it can be mounted if not using the windshield. In my car, it would end up being too far away from me on the windshield.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etCqq3-7ixo (in German)

ticman
Nov 7, 2009, 03:04 PM
thanks for the utube link. It definitely looks like a sturdy mount even on the dash which tends to not be perfectly smooth.

I am surprised it appears in the middle of the dash in the video. I am hoping to use it closer to left of center on a sloping part of the dash for even easier reachability while driving.

You mentioned your dock is shipping midweek. Did you buy from BottomLine Telecommunications for $90?? Says out of stock and on backorder.

Thanks again.

wclyffe
Nov 7, 2009, 03:11 PM
thanks for the utube link. It definitely looks like a sturdy mount even on the dash which tends to not be perfectly smooth.

I am surprised it appears in the middle of the dash in the video. I am hoping to use it closer to left of center on a sloping part of the dash for even easier reachability while driving.

You mentioned your dock is shipping midweek. Did you buy from BottomLine Telecommunications for $90?? Says out of stock and on backorder.

Thanks again.

I did, and hopefully it will ship when it says on 11/11. They are apparently expecting a boatload of them. We'll see.

And yes, I'm mounting it closer to me (left of center) on a sloping dash, too.

G4-power
Nov 7, 2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etCqq3-7ixo (in German)

I'm really sorry but I couldn't resist correcting. :D After I was halfway through the video I thought "why the heck don't I understand this if it's supposed to be German?" It was Danish. :D

enquarius
Nov 8, 2009, 04:11 AM
I was at a local apple store and they are selling the tom tom car kit already. What a rip off, because you have to pay for the app seperate. I got the griffin car mount for $20 at frys and the navigon app, works great.

hawkeye23
Nov 8, 2009, 07:06 AM
I was at a local apple store and they are selling the tom tom car kit already. What a rip off, because you have to pay for the app seperate. I got the griffin car mount for $20 at frys and the navigon app, works great.

I got my car kit, and I really like. I don't know how someone can call it a rip-off if they haven't used it. It works great with Navigon. The TomTom app is still a joke.

CainIs4Charlie
Nov 8, 2009, 07:24 AM
can anyone comment on the sound quality when playing music on the iphone via the tomtom kit when it's connected to the car's sound system?

reason for asking: when i use a standard audio cable from the headphone output of my iphone into my car's aux in, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. i basically have to crank up the volume all the way on both my car system and the iphone to hear anything, and even what i hear isn't all that great.

wclyffe
Nov 8, 2009, 09:43 AM
I'm really sorry but I couldn't resist correcting. :D After I was halfway through the video I thought "why the heck don't I understand this if it's supposed to be German?" It was Danish. :D

Ooops...sorry. I turned the volume down almost immediately and didn't listen carefully enough! Thanks!

Nuvi
Nov 8, 2009, 10:12 AM

If you have to pay the suggested retail price then I do admit its a rip off. However, you can get easily 20% off if you just shop around a little bit. Regarding the TomTom app I fully agree. I actually think its way bigger rip off then the dock.

wclyffe
Nov 8, 2009, 10:41 AM

I think that in the end, TomTom's iPhone Car Kit is going to be more valuable than their app, or their full blown Nav devices. Look back at my earlier post (#50) and you'll see my reasons. It's currently at $87 and will keep going down over time. It is easily the best dock/car kit out there, and I agree with you about Navigon. I have used both apps and Navigon is the easy winner.

tstreete
Nov 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
I found the sound quality when playing music from the Tomtom car kit (as compared to a cable running from the headphone jack to the aux port) to be a bit improved. I think you get the equivalent of line out via the car kit, which is a slightly different signal from the headphone signal.

My car stereo is nothing special, though, so others might be able to provide a more detailed comparison.
can anyone comment on the sound quality when playing music on the iphone via the tomtom kit when it's connected to the car's sound system?

reason for asking: when i use a standard audio cable from the headphone output of my iphone into my car's aux in, the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. i basically have to crank up the volume all the way on both my car system and the iphone to hear anything, and even what i hear isn't all that great.

wclyffe
Nov 8, 2009, 06:54 PM
I found the sound quality when playing music from the Tomtom car kit (as compared to a cable running from the headphone jack to the aux port) to be a bit improved. I think you get the equivalent of line out via the car kit, which is a slightly different signal from the headphone signal.

My car stereo is nothing special, though, so others might be able to provide a more detailed comparison.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering if I plug an fm transmitter into the car kit and play my music through my car speakers, will incoming phone calls also be sent through the car speakers or the Tomtom speaker? I prefer the phone calls just come through the car kit's speaker alone.

tstreete
Nov 9, 2009, 07:21 AM
Phone calls are routed exclusively through the Car Kit's speakers, whether or not music etc. is routed through the output jack to speakers. A lot of smartphones are like the iPhone in that they won't run phone calls through the base/charger port, but will run the "computer" output, i.e., music and other programs. Has to do with the separate computer/phone circuits, I suppose.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering if I plug an fm transmitter into the car kit and play my music through my car speakers, will incoming phone calls also be sent through the car speakers or the Tomtom speaker? I prefer the phone calls just come through the car kit's speaker alone.

wclyffe
Nov 9, 2009, 11:09 AM
Phone calls are routed exclusively through the Car Kit's speakers, whether or not music etc. is routed through the output jack to speakers. A lot of smartphones are like the iPhone in that they won't run phone calls through the base/charger port, but will run the "computer" output, i.e., music and other programs. Has to do with the separate computer/phone circuits, I suppose.

Thanks...I was hoping this was true! I do not like my phone calls booming through my car speakers as its too big a sound. I wondered about this connection as the GPS chip is connected by bluetooth I believe, so I wasn't sure what else might be.

Have you found the bluetooth speakerphone to be working well enough for you and the person on the other end?

Thanks for all your help.

prominence
Nov 9, 2009, 12:04 PM
You better believe I promptly cancelled my order with Apple for $128.05 shipping Nov 25 (just have to send it right back to Apple once it arrives for full refund) and ordered from BTL for $89 with estimated ETA weeks before Apple's ship date.

tstreete
Nov 9, 2009, 02:21 PM
So far I think the phone calls sound fine for the person on the other end, and OK on my end; at freeway speeds my car is loud so I have to listen carefully.

I think the mount's GPS chip signal is actually routed through the dock connection. Just phone (and app voice, if necessary) connect through bluetooth. Maybe this is because Apple doesn't let non-audio devices of any sort to connect through bluetooth; if they did, then we'd all have been using external bluetooth gps receivers long ago.

Thanks...I was hoping this was true! I do not like my phone calls booming through my car speakers as its too big a sound. I wondered about this connection as the GPS chip is connected by bluetooth I believe, so I wasn't sure what else might be.

Have you found the bluetooth speakerphone to be working well enough for you and the person on the other end?

Thanks for all your help.

marvel2
Nov 9, 2009, 04:47 PM
I ordered my TomTom car kit fro BLT this morning and got an email saying they will be in stock Nov 11th. Hopefully it ship then.

*edit*

Got a new email saying they wont receive them until Dec 2nd :'{

wclyffe
Nov 11, 2009, 05:39 PM
Just a side note to all the discussion in this thread. I just searched the Navigon site for the European Version of the iPhone mount and the price to buy it is 39.95 Euros + VAT charges = 44.90 Euros (or $67.48), and does not count the shipping charges. At $67, it makes the purchase of the TomTom Car Kit at $87 an amazing deal. The Navigon kit is only the windshield mount and a charging cable.

Here's the link if you want to look for yourself:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/shop/zubehoer/produkt.html?produktFamilieId=14970&produktId=6964612

ticman
Nov 12, 2009, 05:45 AM
LOL I keep checking the Bottomline Telecommunications site for updates that they received their shipment and my shipment is emminent. Oh well patience is a virtue. Did I mention that i wasn't virtuous. LOL

tstreete
Nov 12, 2009, 07:02 AM
Also, this illustrates one of the more elegant aspects of the design of the TomTom car kit, which is it allows for one-handed insertion. With ordinary mounts like Navigon's, you have to first connect the iPhone to the charger -- a two-handed operation -- and then put it in the mount.

Just a side note to all the discussion in this thread. I just searched the Navigon site for the European Version of the iPhone mount and the price to buy it is 39.95 Euros + VAT charges = 44.90 Euros (or $67.48), and does not count the shipping charges. At $67, it makes the purchase of the TomTom Car Kit at $87 an amazing deal. The Navigon kit is only the windshield mount and a charging cable.

Here's the link if you want to look for yourself:

http://www.navigon.com/portal/int/shop/zubehoer/produkt.html?produktFamilieId=14970&produktId=6964612

Jape
Nov 12, 2009, 08:29 AM
So now BTL says that the shipment is coming in on 12-2. What happend to 11-11? How do you all feel about this? I personally am not sure if I should cancel or not.

prominence
Nov 12, 2009, 08:48 AM
So now BTL says that the shipment is coming in on 12-2. What happend to 11-11? How do you all feel about this? I personally am not sure if I should cancel or not.

You know, I was a lil mad at first when I saw that, but the facts are that Apple wasn't going to ship theirs until Nov 25th with a Dec 2nd estimated arrival date, and for saving $40.00 I'm willing to wait a few extra days.

And at this point.. like the previous poster said.. $87.00 is worth it for me when regular mounts without anything are around $40, so $87 is decent for bluetooth, GPS chip and cool look/setup.. however $120 ($130 when adding in tax) just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Jape
Nov 12, 2009, 08:57 AM
You know, I was a lil mad at first when I saw that, but the facts are that Apple wasn't going to ship theirs until Nov 25th with a Dec 2nd estimated arrival date, and for saving $40.00 I'm willing to wait a few extra days.

And at this point.. like the previous poster said.. $87.00 is worth it for me when regular mounts without anything are around $40, so $87 is decent for bluetooth, GPS chip and cool look/setup.. however $120 ($130 when adding in tax) just isn't worth it in my opinion.

Yea I agree with you about the price being worth it, Im not going anywhere important soon either... Lol, but I did call the apple retail store and they do have them in stock now.

ticman
Nov 12, 2009, 06:52 PM
Yup, the 12/2 date was a disappointment but in hindsight not a big surprise. I am sure many of us jumped at the price and got in line to receive the car kit, hoping to be the first on our block to get it. LOL Might have been good marketing strategy by BLT or an honest demand far exceeding supply as at least one member here did receive their unit from BLT before "take a number and be patient" started.

Regardless I am going to wait it out. I can use my Navigon app for times when I need to--just a little awkward keeping it in the ashtray or cup holder--LOL

marvel2
Nov 12, 2009, 10:01 PM
After hearing that they will delay shipping of the TomTom kit until December 2nd, I decided to give my local MacStore a call (not Apple Store). It was only $99.95 with no sales tax in Oregon. $10 more than Bottom Line Technologies, but I have the TomTom kit in my hands right now :)

ticman
Nov 13, 2009, 06:31 AM
Good for you Marvel2. How about a review after you use it. Tstreete did a great one but another perspective is always welcomed.

BTW do you use Navigon? Did you get the Live Traffic update? Love to hear how they each or both worked with the kit.

Thanks,
Mike

CKtoph
Nov 13, 2009, 07:54 AM
The key for making this purchase for me is to have at least the option to allow the calls to come in through the car's speakers while using the built-in mic on the dock.

Also, the youtube video shows the guy had it stuck on his dash with the adhesive? Anyone have driver's point of view, pictures with it mounted with suction on the windshield? There's no way I'm sticking this thing to my dash.

Jape
Nov 13, 2009, 09:36 AM
After hearing that they will delay shipping of the TomTom kit until December 2nd, I decided to give my local MacStore a call (not Apple Store). It was only $99.95 with no sales tax in Oregon. $10 more than Bottom Line Technologies, but I have the TomTom kit in my hands right now :)

What is the name of the store that you got it from? I'm curious to know if I could find one in my area

marvel2
Nov 13, 2009, 10:47 AM
Good for you Marvel2. How about a review after you use it. Tstreete did a great one but another perspective is always welcomed.

BTW do you use Navigon? Did you get the Live Traffic update? Love to hear how they each or both worked with the kit.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm going to use it for a few days and a couple trips around town first before I give a review. But my intial impressions of the kit is that it works just as advertised. Doesn't feel cheap, BT syncing is very easy and syncs every time I plug the phone in. Speaker volume is clear but may need to be louder. I still have to give it some time and adjust to my liking first (my car is pretty loud). And yes, I am using Navigon, but I have not yet downloaded their Live Traffice update.

The key for making this purchase for me is to have at least the option to allow the calls to come in through the car's speakers while using the built-in mic on the dock.

Also, the youtube video shows the guy had it stuck on his dash with the adhesive? Anyone have driver's point of view, pictures with it mounted with suction on the windshield? There's no way I'm sticking this thing to my dash.

Per the manual, calls will not come in through your car's speaker but instead the TomTom car kit's speaker.

I currently have the kit mounted on my windshield but I also tried mounting it on my dash. If you do not want to put that adhesive on your dash, buy a Sticky Pad (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Hand-Stands-Jelly-Sticky-Pad-Dash-Holder/2603163/product.html) and lay it on your dash. Now mount the TomTom kit as you normally would on the sticky pad as if it were glass. It sticks and works very well. Alternatively, you can put the adhesive disk on the sticky pad if you want the suction cup of the TomTom kit to cling to a hard plastic surface. When you leave your car, just peel the Sticky Pad off of your dash and it will not leave any residue. Essentially it is a GPS friction mount. Or you can buy this (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HandStands-GPS-Sticky-Pad-Dash-Mount/4341949/product.html), but its just too big for my tastes.

What is the name of the store that you got it from? I'm curious to know if I could find one in my area

Here is their website (http://www.themacstore.com/locations/portland). They are an authorized third party Mac reseller sort of like MacMall, but with a physical location. You can try calling other third party Mac resellers in your area if you don't have "The Mac Store" in your area.

CKtoph
Nov 13, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'm going to use it for a few days and a couple trips around town first before I give a review. But my intial impressions of the kit is that it works just as advertised. Doesn't feel cheap, BT syncing is very easy and syncs every time I plug the phone in. Speaker volume is clear but may need to be louder. I still have to give it some time and adjust to my liking first (my car is pretty loud). And yes, I am using Navigon, but I have not yet downloaded their Live Traffice update.

Per the manual, calls will not come in through your car's speaker but instead the TomTom car kit's speaker.

I currently have the kit mounted on my windshield but I also tried mounting it on my dash. If you do not want to put that adhesive on your dash, buy a Sticky Pad (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Hand-Stands-Jelly-Sticky-Pad-Dash-Holder/2603163/product.html) and lay it on your dash. Now mount the TomTom kit as you normally would on the sticky pad as if it were glass. It sticks and works very well. Alternatively, you can put the adhesive disk on the sticky pad if you want the suction cup of the TomTom kit to cling to a hard plastic surface. When you leave your car, just peel the Sticky Pad off of your dash and it will not leave any residue. Essentially it is a GPS friction mount. Or you can buy this (http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/HandStands-GPS-Sticky-Pad-Dash-Mount/4341949/product.html), but its just too big for my tastes.

Thanks for the tip. How do you feel about the speaker volume on the unit for calls so far? Also, do the navigation instructions come through the car's speakers at all?

I'd still be curious to see how it looks when stuck to the windshield. I've heard some say that it's too hard to see on the windshield.

infoman
Nov 13, 2009, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the tip. How do you feel about the speaker volume on the unit for calls so far? Also, do the navigation instructions come through the car's speakers at all?

I'd still be curious to see how it looks when stuck to the windshield. I've heard some say that it's too hard to see on the windshield.

Mounting it horizontally on the lower left corner of the windshield, near the steering wheel, works pretty good for me. Good visibility and more importantly you don't loose site of the road ahead. Try it.

marvel2
Nov 13, 2009, 12:32 PM

I'll let you know when I take a call on it. This is really the first day I have had it. I do not have the TomTom kit plugged into my car's stereo so navigation comes through the speaker of the TomTom kit. What I can remember from the user manual (I don't have it with me at the moment), even when the TomTom kit is plugged into your car's stereo via an auxilary cable, calls and navigation instructions will still come from the TomTom kit and not the car stereo. I currently have no way of checking because my car does not have that input in its stereo.

As far as visibility on the windshield...it's going to vary on what type of car you drive and where you place it. I'm assuming you have never had a GPS unit in your car. It takes up just as much space as most other GPS devices.

ticman
Nov 13, 2009, 01:57 PM
My concern with A windshield mount is all the wires hanging down. Two if using power cord and speaker cord.

Thoughts or comments?

CKtoph
Nov 13, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'll let you know when I take a call on it. This is really the first day I have had it. I do not have the TomTom kit plugged into my car's stereo so navigation comes through the speaker of the TomTom kit. What I can remember from the user manual (I don't have it with me at the moment), even when the TomTom kit is plugged into your car's stereo via an auxilary cable, calls and navigation instructions will still come from the TomTom kit and not the car stereo. I currently have no way of checking because my car does not have that input in its stereo.

As far as visibility on the windshield...it's going to vary on what type of car you drive and where you place it. I'm assuming you have never had a GPS unit in your car. It takes up just as much space as most other GPS devices.

I have a Garmin in our coupe, but the Garmin's screen is obviously bigger than the iPhone's. We had it mounted on the windshield for some time before the suction wore off, to which we ended up getting the sand bag platform which is working out fine.

We decided not to get the Navi package in the new sedan so I'm debating my options for getting one. Basically, I'm deciding between just getting a nice stand alone GPS on Black Friday or getting the TomTom kit.

My concern isn't so much the space taken up by the kit. My concerns before committing to make a purchase are:
- Will I be able to view the navigation maps and instructions with the same visibility as I would with a standalone GPS?
- Will I be able to hear the turn-by-turn instructions with the same audibility as a standalone?
- Will people be able to hear me (and be heard) with the same, or comparable, clarity as if I were using a built-in bluetooth car system?

EDIT: Ticman actually brings up a great point also with the wires. Maybe the dashboard mount is the way to go. Which leaves the only concern left being clarify of calls.

marvel2
Nov 13, 2009, 03:19 PM
Which leaves the only concern left being clarify of calls.

I went on a drive on my lunch and received my first call through the TomTom kit today. What I can say is that the speaker clarity was good and the mic picked up my voice suprisingly good for the distance I had it from the driver's seat. I had it mounted on the windshield. However, I did find myself talking a bit louder than normal to ensure the mic would pick up everything, and it did. Throughout the conversation, the person I was talking on the phone with never asked me to repeat anything. I was able to carry on a conversation throughout my drive as I normally would in my car - hands free :p

The speaker volume on the TomTom kit leaves a little bit to desired in my opinion. I found myself constantly moving the volume switch up, but wasn't sure it was on its highest setting because it isn't a 'dial' type adjuster. Although the speaker was loud enough to hear, I wanted it a little louder. However, this may be because my car does not dampen road noise very well. I'm sure your sedan will be much quiter and the speaker volume will be adequate. The speaker quality is clear enough to hold a conversation.

Jape
Nov 14, 2009, 01:06 AM
BLT changed there ETA to 11-17 so hopefully we all will get it sooner :)

ticman
Nov 14, 2009, 07:42 AM
Interesting Jape. Now let's see if they send us a confirmation email. They have been quite good about it the past.

tstreete
Nov 14, 2009, 08:23 AM

Can't be done. When plugged into the aux port, navigation instructions and music comes through the car speakers. Only phone calls come through the dock speakers.

The only way I know of to reliably route phone calls through a car's stereo system (without some kind of professional add-on) is this: get one of those little adapters designed to allow you to use regular stereo headphones with an iphone; run the adapter from the iphone's earphone jack into your car speakers, and then position the mic on the adapter for calls. Works OK, but can generate feedback during calls for the person you're talking to. And it means you're plugging in both at the bottom and the top of the iphone everytime you set it up in the car. TomTom seems to have gone for one-handed installation of the iPhone, which meant they had to use bluetooth for calls, because calls can't be routed through the dock port.

tstreete
Nov 14, 2009, 08:37 AM
My concern with A windshield mount is all the wires hanging down. Two if using power cord and speaker cord.

Thoughts or comments?
These are full sized, so you might want to download them.
http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/temp/landscape.JPG
http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/temp/portrait.JPG
http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/temp/rear.JPG

Jape
Nov 14, 2009, 09:27 AM
These are full sized, so you might want to download them.
http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/temp/landscape.JPG
http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/temp/portrait.JPG
http://www.uvm.edu/~tstreete/temp/rear.JPG

What type of clips are those? And where did u get them?

tstreete
Nov 14, 2009, 11:57 AM
What type of clips are those? And where did u get them?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103329

Bear Hunter
Nov 14, 2009, 12:20 PM

Thoughts or comments?

You just need to be a little creative to get around that. I did this for my Garmin Nuvi, and if I were to run this Tom Tom thing, I would find a place to mount it somewhere in the cockpit and do the same:

Wired an aux cig adapter in the accessory box so it is out of site. It is wired so it turns off when the vehicle is shut down and powers up when the vehicle is on.

http://www.truckblog.com/gallery/BearHunter/24609.jpg

Extended the wiring and ran it up behind the dash, up the pillar, and across the headliner to the mount. Like I said, you probably can't mount the phone this way (EDIT: Looking at the pics above, it does seem you can mount the phone this way), but the concept remains the same for mounting around the dash area. Extending the wiring for the Nuvi was a little more extensive than it probably is for this Tom Tom thing, because the traffic alerts are built into the adapter (which acts as a receiver) so I think there were a total of 13 micro wires that needed to be soldered individually.

http://www.truckblog.com/gallery/BearHunter/24608.jpg

Full view of cockpit. No unsightly wires

http://www.truckblog.com/gallery/BearHunter/29446.jpg

So get to it. It is possible to clean up the mounting solution.

ticman
Nov 14, 2009, 06:27 PM
Great pictures, Tstreete! Where you mounted yours was exactly the area I was thinking for my ultimate mount. I just have to make sure there is enough clearance to swing into landscape mode. Thanks also for the "clips" info as that might be great for keeping some semblance of order the to cord issue.

Now one of the remaining issues would be after taking the iPhone out of the dock, do you just leave the dock or actually detach it and hide it in the console or glove compartment. i am betting that it just stays on the dash--a feature that might concern me give where I have to park from time to time and gps theft seems to be on the rise.

One final question, Tstreete and that is did you use the adhesive disk on the dash and then the suction dial mount? Just curious.

Thanks again,

Mike

ticman
Nov 14, 2009, 06:30 PM
sorry guys but on closer review of the pictures, it does look like the adhesive disk is mounted on the dash and the dock to the disk.

tstreete
Nov 15, 2009, 08:22 AM
Now one of the remaining issues would be after taking the iPhone out of the dock, do you just leave the dock or actually detach it and hide it in the console or glove compartment. i am betting that it just stays on the dash--a feature that might concern me give where I have to park from time to time and gps theft seems to be on the rise.

I live in a small city and generally garage the car at night, so I can get away with leaving the dock on the dash on a routine basis. If I do leave it parked on the street over night in a not-so-safe area one of these days, I guess I'll remove the dock and take it with me.

The nice thing about being able to leave it on the dash is I use it more often, for shorter trips than I did when I had a less convenient arrangement -- e.g., if I want music on a trip of five miles, or to use the gps for navigating a country road at night or bad weather, when it helps to know if there's a sharp turn a quarter mile ahead.

Jape
Nov 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
well tomorrow could actually be the day BLT ships of tomtom car kits:) It seems that a lot of people have canceled, because there back ordered number went down. Hopefully they will overnight it...lol ;)

ticman
Nov 17, 2009, 05:31 AM
LOL Jape--i like your positive thinking. I keep looking for an email update from them saying that they shipped it. Only time and patience will tell.

Interersting that a number have cancelled. I gave it a thought as the local apple store has them but the thought of saving almost $30 kept me from doing so.

dagomike
Nov 17, 2009, 10:42 AM
here's a video on the kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nf-l6_fLXk

Jape
Nov 17, 2009, 02:11 PM
I keep on looking at their real time up dates on there website, hoping to see a change.... Lol. I wonder when shipments usually come in. You would think big shipments like that come in the early morning or late at night, but who knows.

Jape
Nov 18, 2009, 05:41 AM
The apple store is looking better and better, once again it has been pushed bac to dec 2. I wonder when the Magellan car kit is coming out and how much that will cost.

stridle
Nov 18, 2009, 06:50 AM
Apparently it's all TomTom, I found another site that said they were supposed to receive their shipment on the 17th as well and that the supplier has yet to update them.
http://www.provantage.com/tomtom-9uob-017-00~ATOMT043.htm

This all seems like a huge foul up for TomTom. First they promise to release this thing months ago, and it's still not widely available. Now there are talks of google releasing a free navigation app. TomTom is going to miss some large amounts of revenue with this manufacturing miscue.

I will probably still buy the mount, which in my eyes, for $87 is a great value. I will definitely be waiting for a free google app though. If I could have purchased the mount two months ago I would have bought the app, silly TomTom.

wclyffe
Nov 18, 2009, 02:04 PM
Apparently it's all TomTom, I found another site that said they were supposed to receive their shipment on the 17th as well and that the supplier has yet to update them.
http://www.provantage.com/tomtom-9uob-017-00~ATOMT043.htm

This all seems like a huge foul up for TomTom. First they promise to release this thing months ago, and it's still not widely available. Now there are talks of google releasing a free navigation app.

With Provantage, the total cost is $101.58 so it's probably worth just hanging out with my current order as its clearly a TomTom issue. I like, and know Provantage and they are a good company, but waiting is waiting. Also, keep in mind this car kit is a good addition even using the new Google app should it arrive someday soon.

Jape
Nov 18, 2009, 02:24 PM
With Provantage, the total cost is $101.58 so it's probably worth just hanging out with my current order as its clearly a TomTom issue. I like, and know Provantage and they are a good company, but waiting is waiting. Also, keep in mind this car kit is a good addition even using the new Google app should it arrive someday soon.

yes very true, I think i might stick with BLT as well, hard to beat 85 dollars...lol, especially since i just learned that the new Magellan Car Kit will cost 129.99 :eek: and here we all were complaining about tomtom's pricing...lol. I will say, just as i have stated before though, that it is still enticing to go to my local apple store and pick up a unit. I guess it all depends on if I go on some spur of the moment trip..lol

wclyffe
Nov 18, 2009, 04:28 PM
yes very true, I think i might stick with BLT as well, hard to beat 85 dollars...lol, especially since i just learned that the new Magellan Car Kit will cost 129.99 :eek: and here we all were complaining about tomtom's pricing...lol. I will say, just as i have stated before though, that it is still enticing to go to my local apple store and pick up a unit. I guess it all depends on if I go on some spur of the moment trip..lol

Yeah, I hear you. I hate waiting for orders to ship...I guess we get so use to items being in stock, and on their way the next day.

Thought I'd post the Magellan car kit info for all to see:

Magellan car kit detailed at FCC filing

That was fast. We just learned Magellan was going to offer a car kit for the iPhone and it has already hit the FCC. GPSTracklog.com has a detailed drawing of the new device, and it looks to be quite complete. Magellan has said the kit will be on sale before the end of the year, and even give the iPod touch full nav capabilities.

The car kit is supposed to allow any iPhone GPS app to work with it, so you're not limited to the Magellan app. It works in portrait or landscape mode, and has a speaker for hearing directions and also link to your iPhone for Bluetooth based calls.

The Magellan Roadmate app itself [iTunes link] has a boatload of good features, and we're anxious to get our hands on the app for a full test. Holiday travelers will have a lot of good choices for navigating to your destinations. Remember when we thought the plain old Google Maps app was cool?

maggie-macrumor
Nov 18, 2009, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I hear you. I hate waiting for orders to ship...I guess we get so use to items being in stock, and on their way the next day.

Thought I'd post the Magellan car kit info for all to see:

Magellan car kit detailed at FCC filing

That was fast. We just learned Magellan was going to offer a car kit for the iPhone and it has already hit the FCC. GPSTracklog.com has a detailed drawing of the new device, and it looks to be quite complete. Magellan has said the kit will be on sale before the end of the year, and even give the iPod touch full nav capabilities.

The car kit is supposed to allow any iPhone GPS app to work with it, so you're not limited to the Magellan app. It works in portrait or landscape mode, and has a speaker for hearing directions and also link to your iPhone for Bluetooth based calls.

The Magellan Roadmate app itself [iTunes link] has a boatload of good features, and we're anxious to get our hands on the app for a full test. Holiday travelers will have a lot of good choices for navigating to your destinations. Remember when we thought the plain old Google Maps app was cool?

You are correct! We will be releasing our car kit sometime in December. It works with any iPhone GPS app, so you are not limited to just use ours! =)

Some features include:

Bluetooth hands-free calling
In-car charging
Works with any skin or case
Amplified speaker for clear, powerful sound
Turns you iPod Touch into a GPS navigator
and more!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away!

Jape
Nov 18, 2009, 05:06 PM
You are correct! We will be releasing our car kit sometime in December. It works with any iPhone GPS app, so you are not limited to just use ours! =)

Some features include:

In-car charging
and more!

Is it going to be priced a 129.99? or will it be cheaper than tomtom's

Is it go

SpaceKitty
Nov 18, 2009, 05:37 PM

Some features include:

In-car charging
and more!

That looks nice!

Is it possible that we can see more screen caps form the various map screens in this app? The one shown above doesn't give a real feel to the app at all. Maybe post them in the Magellan thread in this forum.

Thanks

maggie-macrumor
Nov 18, 2009, 06:33 PM
That looks nice!

Is it possible that we can see more screen caps form the various map screens in this app? The one shown above doesn't give a real feel to the app at all. Maybe post them in the Magellan thread in this forum.

Thanks

Hi SpaceKitty

We are currently working on getting additional screenshots for it. When they are ready, I will post them in the Official Magellan Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=823017) Thank you!

SpaceKitty
Nov 19, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hi SpaceKitty

We are currently working on getting additional screenshots for it. When they are ready, I will post them in the Official Magellan Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=823017) Thank you!

Excellent! Thanks for the reply.

uiuiahesa
Nov 19, 2009, 02:09 AM
I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way:p:o:cool:

wclyffe
Nov 20, 2009, 07:48 AM
Looks like they just flagged the Tomtom car kit as discontinued at BLT and are no longer carrying the item. Looking for a new place to order it around this price. Any thoughts?

ticman
Nov 20, 2009, 09:00 AM
Wcfyee,

man u have just ruined my day. LOL I had convinced myself to wait until beginning of Dec and now I am going to have to go the Apple store and pay full retail unless someone else finds an alternative.

I wonder what happened--sounds like forces came to bear.

anyway, thanks as usual for keeping us informed.

Mike

ticman
Nov 20, 2009, 09:02 AM
LOL ok ok so it's WCLYFEE sorry

wclyffe
Nov 20, 2009, 09:07 AM
LOL ok ok so it's WCLYFEE sorry

Yeah, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I have an order in too. Hopefully, someone will post a lower cost alternative than the Apple Store. One thing I did notice about the Magellan Car Kit is you can put the iPhone in it with a case. Might be worth waiting?

ticman
Nov 20, 2009, 09:25 AM
I called two Apple stores in my state (Connecticut) and both are out. Available from their website with free shipping but a 2 to 3 week delay in shipping.

wclyffe
Nov 20, 2009, 09:35 AM
I just got this email!!

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your email. Your order is fine and will be filled normally.
We've simply restricted new backorders on the item until currently placed
orders such as yours are filled.

Please don't hesitate to contact us should you have any additional
questions or concerns. Thank you for your business!

Sam S.

Bottom Line Telecommunications

ticman
Nov 20, 2009, 10:53 AM
I just sent BLT an email and wii let I know what I get back. Something doesn't sound right. Must not be getting 20000 units. Just strange

ticman
Nov 20, 2009, 11:43 AM
Received same response STATING THAT their eta is still 12/2 and they will shop same day they receive. Guess I will sit tight for now.

wacky4alanis
Nov 20, 2009, 02:08 PM
I called two Apple stores in my state (Connecticut) and both are out. Available from their website with free shipping but a 2 to 3 week delay in shipping.

I ordered one from the Apple store on Nov 3rd, and it shipped on Nov 16th. So it looks like their estimates are somewhat accurate.

I haven't really put mine through a full test yet, but I will post a review once I have. So far it seems to work as advertised.

wclyffe
Nov 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
Received same response STATING THAT their eta is still 12/2 and they will shop same day they receive. Guess I will sit tight for now.

Me, too. It seems like everyone is waiting no matter where they ordered from.

TalonFlyer
Nov 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
It works, it's expensive and it's NOT a great value!!!

I have used my new car kit for a few days and I'm a little disappointed with a few aspects of the device. My iPhone snaps in fairly well and it's easy to rotate. The articulation of the mount is not as desirable as it appears in the advertisements. The rotating lock that suctions it to the window is fairly good. The over all feel and quality of the device seems fair to good, however it should be priced about $30-$40 less to be a good value.

The hands-free works, however it appears that it is not duplexed so road noise and vibrations seems to be causing the device to VOX (switch off the speaker when you are talking). I have mixed feelings with the few calls I have made so far. Looking like it may not be a good hands-free device.

It uses Bluetooth to connect the hands-free and not the GPS. I was hoping to be able to use the bluetooth to connect the GPS to other devices and apparently that is not possible. I was also hoping that I could use the hands-free if not docked. You can't, must dock to connect the bluetooth hands-free. Does not make any sense.

Also, they forgot about the voice control that can be activated with a bump of the answer button on most headsets. The volume button, if you push it, sometime brings up the voice control, however it is well behind the iPhone and not easy to hit while the phone is docked. Why is this not more accessible?

Would have been nice to have a button to start and stop music, like my 5 year old bluetooth headset. Maybe next to the other missing button.

When in horizontal mode the weight of the iPhone and the slightest bump in the road or touching the device will cause it to rotate almost vertical. This is because the swivel is not centered and the iPhone is side heavy. Seems that the resistance force of the swivel is a few ounces to light. You also must remove any cover you have as there is no room for anything except the iPhone itself.

They don't support the iPod touch and now they are coming out with a iPod specific mount, it has even less value because I can't use both devices on the same car kit.

Here is how I grade the Car Kit (1-10):
Mounting: 8
Rotation: 7
Articulation: 3
Hands-Free: 4 (Weak, speaker is facing away from you, VOX'ing problem)
GPS: 6 (Only very slightly better that the built in GPS)
Compatibility: 3 (Can't use iPod Touch)
Bluetooth: 2 (Phone will not pair until docked, can't pair with other devices)

Overall it's a $79.00 retail mount with a questionable hands-free, only a small incremental change in GPS accuracy and a useless bluetooth implementation. I'll give it a generous 5 out of 10 for now.

Cost: 119.00 plus Tax, $40 is a donation to the cause.

That's my 2 cents worth that cost me a Benjamin and then some.

Update: I tried the car kit in different vehicles and in different Major cities with the same result. After exchanging my car kit and found no improvement with the hands-free, I decided to return it for a full refund and wait for the Magellan and see if it is any better. I called TomTom and it took over an hour to get someone on the phone and they were no help at all.

The service rep said "Well it appears that your unit is still in warranty", after I stopped laughing I asked her if she was familiar with the product. This just shows that TomTom does not have it together at all for the US market and I am so glad I didn't waste a hundred bucks on the APP.

My new rating is a 3 because the iPhone looks great when mounted.

TomTom = RunRun!

wclyffe
Nov 21, 2009, 07:46 AM
TalonFlyer..

Overall it's a $79.00 retail mount with a questionable hands-free, only a small incremental change in GPS accuracy and a useless bluetooth implementation. I'll give it a generous 5 out of 10 for now.

Nice review, and thanks. It sounds like you might have gotten a unit that is sub par. The rotation and articulation of the car kit in many of the Youtube videos seems very tight, very solid with strong mounting. Did it just loosen up over that short time or did it start out not so great? Maybe send it back?

I thought I remember reading that the Handsfree Bluetooth is duplex so I'm also not sure where your issue comes from. That said, I may get that as a separate item on the visor of my car if its below quality. I have another car with a BluAnt unit in it and its terrific.

Also, there are now several places where you can order the car kit for much less money. I have an order into BTL for $87 which sounds like a more reasonable price for the unit. I'm sure it will continue to drop.

Thanks again!

ticman
Nov 21, 2009, 09:15 AM
good morning Wclyffe.

question on your comment about BlueAnt. I too have used BT Blueant and loved it. When I got the iPhone it would not, however, recognize my contact list, BUT would let me talk and listen to a phone call I originated on the iPhone.

With the tomtom dock, if the BT isn't acceptable per the above comments, how would I use the BlueAnt?

With the car kit I assume handsfree dialing still requires either holding iphone button and doing voice dialing or favorite list or contact list. BlueAnt of course allowed one touch button and "call so and so" command.

Appreciate clarification.

Have you done anymore review of the Navigon car kit?

thanks,

Mike

wclyffe
Nov 21, 2009, 12:59 PM
good morning Wclyffe.

question on your comment about BlueAnt. I too have used BT Blueant and loved it. When I got the iPhone it would not, however, recognize my contact list, BUT would let me talk and listen to a phone call I originated on the iPhone.

With the tomtom dock, if the BT isn't acceptable per the above comments, how would I use the BlueAnt?

With the car kit I assume handsfree dialing still requires either holding iphone button and doing voice dialing or favorite list or contact list. BlueAnt of course allowed one touch button and "call so and so" command.

Appreciate clarification.

Have you done anymore review of the Navigon car kit?

thanks,

Mike

Is it an iPhone 3Gs? I have no problem with Voice Control recognizing my contacts list. I just press the button on the BluAnt and voice control is activated. Not sure why that isn't working for you.

I think we just do not pair the the iPhone to the dock via bluetooth, but instead pair the BluAnt that way. The GPS chip should be connected to the phone via the dock connector. Right?

Yeah, that makes sense which is why I'm going to likely keep my BluAnt for calls as its so easy to hit the button on the visor and use Voice Control. I can't believe its as easy using the car kit, but we'll see.

No, as the Navigon is just a simple mount with no electronics (GPS chip, bluetooth, etc).

ticman
Nov 21, 2009, 01:14 PM
I can't believe your BlueAnt is working for you. Yes my phone is a 3Gs. I had other replies to an earlier post that indicated that Apple did not allow some of the BT technology to work on their phone.

I will try and "pair" again to iPhone and see if it works. I agree with you re hitting a button on the visor.

3GEE
Nov 21, 2009, 07:51 PM
Has anyone been able to find this kit in Canada yet, I very much want to get one? The Apple Canada website says not yet available. I called the local Apple Store today and they told me that they don't carry it, but the Apple guy did say that they wouldn't be told about it until the day it becomes available.

wclyffe
Nov 22, 2009, 08:10 AM
I can't believe your BlueAnt is working for you. Yes my phone is a 3Gs. I had other replies to an earlier post that indicated that Apple did not allow some of the BT technology to work on their phone.

I will try and "pair" again to iPhone and see if it works. I agree with you re hitting a button on the visor.

I've had no issues with the BluAnt at all. That said, Voice Control occasionally comes up with some pretty funny ways that it pronounces names, and you have to pronounce it that way if you want that particular name to come up.

Regul8tR
Nov 26, 2009, 09:29 PM
Is there really no wiggle room?
Has anyone tried to use the car kit with a Case Mate Barely There Case?

EDH667
Nov 27, 2009, 07:06 AM

The sound quality of the Car Kit going through the aux jack is excellent. Much better than coming from the headphone jack.

EDH667
Nov 27, 2009, 07:11 AM
Is there really no wiggle room?
Has anyone tried to use the car kit with a Case Mate Barely There Case?

There is absolutely no room for any case to work with the TomTom car kit.

I stand corrected. I purchased the Case-Mate Barley there case and it works great with the TomTom car kit.

wclyffe
Nov 28, 2009, 03:37 PM
There is absolutely no room for any case to work with the TomTom car kit.

I'm guessing you could have a clear protector application like Invisible Shield to prevent scratches and that would fit fine.

marvel2
Nov 29, 2009, 10:18 PM
I can't find the TomTom kit on BLT's site anymore.

Regul8tR
Nov 29, 2009, 10:53 PM
@marvel2:
BLT told me that they are waiting to receive the shipment to fill the current orders. (ETA 12/2/09)
After that, they will post the kit back on the site.

Jape
Nov 30, 2009, 01:47 AM
I wonder if it will actually come this time

Blinkwing
Nov 30, 2009, 02:33 AM
What's the sound quality like? I've noticed that a few people have complained about a buzzing sound.

EDIT: What car you've got plus any modifications relating to sound system (speakers, amps, etc) would help greatly.

wacky4alanis
Nov 30, 2009, 12:36 PM
I used the Tom-Tom mount for our trip from Boston down to Maryland over the Thanksgiving holiday. It was great! I found it extremely useful to simply use the standard iPhone maps to show traffic conditions. We saved many hours by avoiding traffic back-ups with real-time dynamic routing (using our eyes and brains). I found that I was able to re-route myself by simply looking at the maps, so a navigation program was not really necessary.

I also loved the fact that I could play music through my car stereo. It was also very easy to pop the iPhone out of the mount when we stopped at rest areas. To be honest, I don't think we really needed the improved GPS functionality of the Tom-Tom. The mount itself was the most useful thing (power, music, hands-free phone).

I think the GPS navigation functionality will be more useful for local trips where I am trying to find a place I've never been to.

ticman
Dec 2, 2009, 09:03 AM
Well it's 12/2 and I am anxiously awaiting an email that BLT has received their order and MY order is on its way.

LOL don't think I can stand another delay.

Jape
Dec 2, 2009, 02:38 PM
Well it's 12/2 and I am anxiously awaiting an email that BLT has received their order and MY order is on its way.

LOL don't think I can stand another delay.

Yea I agree, I emailed them and they haven't responded yet. Sigh hopefully we get something

TalonFlyer
Dec 2, 2009, 04:39 PM
TalonFlyer..

Nice review, and thanks. It sounds like you might have gotten a unit that is sub par. The rotation and articulation of the car kit in many of the Youtube videos seems very tight, very solid with strong mounting. Did it just loosen up over that short time or did it start out not so great? Maybe send it back?

I thought I remember reading that the Handsfree Bluetooth is duplex so I'm also not sure where your issue comes from. That said, I may get that as a separate item on the visor of my car if its below quality. I have another car with a BluAnt unit in it and its terrific.

Also, there are now several places where you can order the car kit for much less money. I have an order into BTL for $87 which sounds like a more reasonable price for the unit. I'm sure it will continue to drop.

Thanks again!

I updated my post and yesterday I returned the Car Kit.

This is a slick looking mount with to many functional limitations.

I exchanged the car kit and had the same hands-free issues.

What I noticed after many calls is that there is a GATE circuit (similar to an AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit) that is turning off the speaker most likely to reduce background noise. The problem is that this GATING is causing the audio to be choppy making it very difficult to hear your call.

The useless hands-free along with other limitations make it far to expensive to just sit around and charge the phone.

You cannot mount it on you dash due to the off-center swivel making it impossible to rotate it vertical (unless the mount is hanging over the edge a little).

Why the bluetooth does not connect until docked does not make any sense and makes it even less valuable.

Having to remove the case every time is a real pain as well.

Why do you need a different unit for the iPod touch? The connection is the same and if the little pins retracted it would work.

They did a great job getting everyone excited, but then Bernie Madoff did also.

The bottom line, it's not worth it, get something else.

ticman
Dec 3, 2009, 12:09 PM
Jape,
did you ever hear back from BLT??

I have heard nothing but didn't send email to them. Will do that today.

slombacker
Dec 3, 2009, 12:25 PM
I have the 'air jacket' case on my iphone 3gs and it fits in the Tom Tom car kit just fine.

The sound quality when using handsfree isn't the best... but its not has bad as some bluetooth headsets I've had. Forget it if its raining out and your windshield wipers are on.

I don't find the kit inflexible at all... I was able to mount it and reposition it exactly how I wanted.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Jape
Dec 3, 2009, 02:18 PM
Jape,
did you ever hear back from BLT??

I have heard nothing but didn't send email to them. Will do that today.

No I haven't heard back, I sent them another email this morning but they haven't replied

ticman
Dec 3, 2009, 04:03 PM
Jape,

sent an email this afternoon and received the following:

(tried to cut and paste but it didn't work).

In a nutshell the ETA from manufacturer is past due (gee we already figured that out) and they have requested info from mfger and will send when they get it. long story short nothing yet so just wait and will let u know.

damn

Jape
Dec 3, 2009, 08:35 PM
What do you guys think, should we wait or go ahead and buy from somewhere else. Or just wait fo Magellans car kit?

wclyffe
Dec 3, 2009, 08:57 PM
What do you guys think, should we wait or go ahead and buy from somewhere else. Or just wait fo Magellans car kit?

Hard call. I like the idea that I would not have to remove my case to use the Magellan, but that's all I like about the look of it. It looks cheaper to me and I'm guessing we would be waiting until the end of January, or later, before the price would start to drop from $130. From viewing the many Youtube videos on the TomTom car kit it seems pretty great for $90.

Jape
Dec 4, 2009, 03:35 PM
Hey guys I just called BLT and they said that they do not have an updated ETA on when they will be receiving a shipment. It almost makes me want to just go to the apple store and pick one up, it is just so hard to give up on 30% off... sigh.

wclyffe
Dec 4, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hey guys I just called BLT and they said that they do not have an updated ETA on when they will be receiving a shipment. It almost makes me want to just go to the apple store and pick one up, it is just so hard to give up on 30% off... sigh.

Are you sure your Apple store has them in stock? I checked one here in LA while I happen to be there and they were out of them, too! On the online Apple store, it still says 7-10 days for delivery so maybe we should all hang in there.

stridle
Dec 4, 2009, 07:00 PM
I've been looking all over the internet and the stores do not carry them either. Frankly this is BS, first TOMTOM pushes the date of release by over a month and then they cannot even keep up with supply.

ticman
Dec 4, 2009, 07:30 PM
I have 3 apple stores in my state. One about 25 miles and the others at the opposite end of the state. None have the car kit in stock and suggested ordering online. Last time i checked it was a 2 to 3 week delivery time. Now it appears from above post that 7 to 10 days may be new ETA.

I am thinking of giving BLT another week and then biting the bullet and ordering from Apple.com

Thoughts????

BTW 30% off of something you not receive suddenly doesn't look like such a bargain.

Jape
Dec 4, 2009, 08:30 PM
yea i agree, both apple stores in my area have it though.

wclyffe
Dec 5, 2009, 07:50 AM
It really appears as if TomTom didn't create any real inventory, and waited to see how popular the device would be. Now they are creating inventory based on orders. Not great, but I just don't think the car kit is worth $130 (w/tax) so I'll wait. The longer they wait to deliver it may be a plus for us because maybe we'll get a chance to see and hear reactions to the Magellan car kit.

ticman
Dec 5, 2009, 10:21 AM
The apple website lists the price as 119 + tax with free shipping.

wclyffe
Dec 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
The apple website lists the price as 119 + tax with free shipping.

Yeah, that's how I got the $130....its 10% tax here in CA!

Jape
Dec 5, 2009, 11:41 AM
Magellan is doing something good, they are providing a 20 dollar voucher towards their carkit if the app is bought between 12/4 and 12/8 I believe. Such great marketing. I won the thanksgiving day contest so I may just use that voucher if the tomtom car kit does not ship before Jan 5

ticman
Dec 5, 2009, 12:04 PM
Here in civilized Connecticut we only pay 6%. LOL

wclyffe
Dec 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
FYI...you cannot even order it from Tomtom.com. Here's what it says:

TomTom car kit for iPhone
USD 119.95

Currently not available through TomTom.com

marvel2
Dec 6, 2009, 12:33 PM
Wow, I'm glad I bought mine when I did. Try to find a Mac reseller store near you and not an Apple Store. I bought mine for $99, no tax in Oregon at The Portland Mac Store (http://www.themacstore.com/locations/portland).

phantom5251
Dec 6, 2009, 03:23 PM
Apple has changed their site now to say it would ship in 1-2 months.

wclyffe
Dec 7, 2009, 06:22 AM
Apple has changed their site now to say it would ship in 1-2 months.

Yeah, that's pretty crazy now. It's clear whatever lead they had in time with the Magellan kit is now lost. It seems we'll get to compare them and then decide.

ticman
Dec 7, 2009, 07:42 PM
Well guys, I just called my local Apple store and they have the kit in stock. That, and given the 1 -2 months delivery on apple.com and no news at all from BLT, means that for me at least, it's time to bite the bullet.

I plan to go to the Apple store and buy the kit.

I reveiwed the Magellan kit on Amazon with a preorder and scheduled delivery of 1/5/2010 and think the Tom tom is a better looking accessory that has gotten good reviews from those that were able to get their hands on one.

I was hoping we'd spend the holidays together lamenting the non delivery from BLT--LOL.

I'll give you an update--like man goes balistic in apple store when tom tom car kit is out of stock.

Good luck to you all.

wclyffe
Dec 8, 2009, 12:53 PM
Well guys, I just called my local Apple store and they have the kit in stock. That, and given the 1 -2 months delivery on apple.com and no news at all from BLT, means that for me at least, it's time to bite the bullet.

I've thought about doing the same thing, but I'm traveling most of December and won't be in my car much. Look forward to your thoughts especially about how well the bluetooth speakerphone works while driving around.

battaxan
Dec 10, 2009, 02:06 AM
I accept with information:Voice Control occasionally comes up with some pretty funny ways that it pronounces names, and you have to pronounce it that way if you want that particular name to come up.

wclyffe
Dec 10, 2009, 01:34 PM
Just a quick post that I thought was noteworthy! Here is a Youtube video showing a guy putting an iPhone WITH A CASE ON IT into the Tomtom Car Kit, and its fine. Granted, its not a full case, but I heard you could have no case at all, so at least it offers some protection to the back of the phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nR46AFeRVU

Regul8tR
Dec 10, 2009, 03:01 PM
I knew it !! I'm jumping on this right now.

ticman
Dec 10, 2009, 06:24 PM
Ok I have installed the car kit. It was more difficult than i thought ONLY because while I have a sloping dash board and it's leather, it is NOT smooth leather but rather a grainy textured leather. I could not get the plastic disk to stick to the surface--even if I put it higher up on the dash toward the windshield where it is flat. Thoughts of crazy glue were beginning to run through my mind.

I installed it on the windshield just to see if I'd like it. It was great but a tad too far to see clearly (even with glasses); I didn't like the wires hanging down; and it did draw my eye every time i used the rear view mirror and obstructed my view (but only a bit--could probably get used to it in time).

So I was at the point of wondering if I was going to return it to Apple Store when I found a space that would work that was left of the radio and had a small flat plastic area. The disk is only partially on the plastic but holds incredible firmly. By moving the suction cup to the right edge of the flat disk, I can see the entire screen easily in either portrait or landscape mode without covering the radio or any controls.

AND the unexpected PLUS is that it sits below the dashboard and won't require me to disconnect it to put in the console when away from the car. I was not comforable with the idea of leaving the kit in full view which may or may not invite break-ins. Another plus is very very little cord from kit to lighter area is needed so wires hanging or dangling are at a minimum. The wire from audio to my audio input in the center console is easily accomodated by the 3 foot audio cord. I used the plastic holders that were pictured in previous post so that wires are contained and not obtrusive.

With regards to using Bluetooth for handsfree driving. My car is very quiet and I and my callers had no problem hearing each other. I just hold the main button and do voice dialing. Piece of cake.

LOL I had the audio cord connected to the car kit but was not using audio to play music (aux was not on) and I couldn't figure out why Navigon wasn't taling to me. When I put radio on in Aux mode the instructions came through the car speakers. When I used ipod to play music and had GPS on both come through the car speakers with music volume being lowered when voice directions were being given.

All in all I am very pleased with the kit and the way it performs.

wclyffe
Dec 11, 2009, 10:52 AM
With regards to using Bluetooth for handsfree driving. My car is very quiet and I and my callers had no problem hearing each other. I just hold the main button and do voice dialing. Piece of cake.

LOL I had the audio cord connected to the car kit but was not using audio to play music (aux was not on) and I couldn't figure out why Navigon wasn't taling to me. When I put radio on in Aux mode the instructions came through the car speakers. When I used ipod to play music and had GPS on both come through the car speakers with music volume being lowered when voice directions were being given.

All in all I am very pleased with the kit and the way it performs.

ticman, thanks for all the info!

Question: You obviously used the included disk to mount the car kit to. Does that disk hold onto your dash really securely with the adhesive they supply?

Also, when you are using Voice Control, do you have to reach around the back of the car kit to press the button to activate it, or can you just press the Home button on the iPhone?

Lastly, I have to use an FM transmitter in my car so I was going to plug it into the jack on the car kit and transmit music to my radio. It sounds like the Navigon instructions will come out my radio speakers not the little speaker on the car kit, but when I make a phone call it will use the car kit speaker. Right? Hope so, as I don't really want my phone calls blasted through my speakers.

ticman
Dec 11, 2009, 03:49 PM
ticman, thanks for all the info!

Question: You obviously used the included disk to mount the car kit to. Does that disk hold onto your dash really securely with the adhesive they supply?

Also, when you are using Voice Control, do you have to reach around the back of the car kit to press the button to activate it, or can you just press the Home button on the iPhone?

Lastly, I have to use an FM transmitter in my car so I was going to plug it into the jack on the car kit and transmit music to my radio. It sounds like the Navigon instructions will come out my radio speakers not the little speaker on the car kit, but when I make a phone call it will use the car kit speaker. Right? Hope so, as I don't really want my phone calls blasted through my speakers.

The included disk is holding very very well to the area i used which was on plastic near the radio. IT WOULD NOT HOLD TO MY DASH AT ALL as the dash had a grainy leather and not a smooth surface.

Voice control is done by pressing the HOME button.

I have MADE a call by using Voice Control and talk was through the iPhone speakers. I have NOT tried using ipod music and navigon and tried making a call but would suspect that again talk would come out of the iphone and not car speakers. What would be interesting is what happens to Navigon directions and volume of ipod music. I'll check that out and leave another post.

Hope that helps.

The only slight issue i have is that when i place the phone in landscape mode I have to do it in such a way that the 2 input cords are on TOP of the iphone dock. It i hit a bump it sometimes cause the iphone to swing down a bit towards Portrait mode. Must be the weight of the two plugs.

EDH667
Dec 11, 2009, 04:33 PM
I have MADE a call by using Voice Control and talk was through the iPhone speakers. I have NOT tried using ipod music and navigon and tried making a call but would suspect that again talk would come out of the iphone and not car speakers. What would be interesting is what happens to Navigon directions and volume of ipod music. I'll check that out and leave another post.

While using the Navigon with the TomTom car kit listening to music through the aux, when a direction is announced, the music volume decreases into the background until the voice is through and then the music increases back to the original volume. With the TomTom app, the music pauses until the direction is through and then the music starts again.

wclyffe
Dec 12, 2009, 06:35 AM
Just got a notice from BLT that their expected ETA on the TomTom Car Kit is now 12/16. We'll see, but I wouldn't count on it.

ticman
Dec 12, 2009, 10:46 AM
LOL I made my decision and am not looking back. Very happy with my setup but I find I am getting a hissing noise when hooked up using car speakers for playing music. It's a new cable and I have no idea if it's the car connection; the car kit; or the cable.

Keep me posted re ETA of BLT dock

navguy
Dec 12, 2009, 11:43 AM
I find I am getting a hissing noise when hooked up using car speakers for playing music. It's a new cable and I have no idea if it's the car connection; the car kit; or the cable.

Hoping to get car kit for Xmas, but i'm not suprised by 'noise' coming through the 'line out' ... when a device cradle has antennae (GPS) / broadcast (bluetooth) electronics near by they can interfere. (my other experience with this is a portable XM radio w/ cradle holder - and could never get line out to not his, had to use fixed mount to car antennae for best transfer of sound).

Hopefully others are not having this problem, and you can exchange as defect.

Good luck, may be joining you in a couple weeks ...

New question ... since the phone is linked via bluetooth to the Car Kit, does the bluetooth engage even if you don't place the phone in the device? ... if it's still in pocket, does a call ring through the speaker of the Car Kit when in the car?

EDH667
Dec 12, 2009, 04:13 PM
New question ... since the phone is linked via bluetooth to the Car Kit, does the bluetooth engage even if you don't place the phone in the device? ... if it's still in pocket, does a call ring through the speaker of the Car Kit when in the car?

The Bluetooth only works when the iPhone is in the cradle and the ignition is turned on. When you turn off the ignition, the Bluetooth turns off. If you have the iPhone in your pocket the Car Kit Bluetooth will not connect.

navguy
Dec 12, 2009, 05:23 PM
The Bluetooth only works when the iPhone is in the cradle and the ignition is turned on. When you turn off the ignition, the Bluetooth turns off. If you have the iPhone in your pocket the Car Kit Bluetooth will not connect.

I guess I see the connection to the ignition, but only activating when there is a phone in cradle seems like a strange use of bluetooth ... why not use hardwire connection to eliminate any potential for interference ... or open up and allow use as speaker phone in car regardless of phone in cradle

I don't believe Magellan uses bluetooth in this way

EDH667
Dec 13, 2009, 07:19 AM
I guess I see the connection to the ignition, but only activating when there is a phone in cradle seems like a strange use of bluetooth ... why not use hardwire connection to eliminate any potential for interference ... or open up and allow use as speaker phone in car regardless of phone in cradle

I don't believe Magellan uses bluetooth in this way

I found this on the Magellan website. It appears that their Bluetooth is set up differently than the TomTom kit:

Can I undock the iPhone from the Premium Car Kit and keep my Bluetooth« connection?

Yes. After initially connecting your iPhone to the Premium Car Kit, you can easily undock the iPhone without losing your Bluetooth« connection.

navguy
Dec 13, 2009, 09:02 AM
I found this on the Magellan website. It appears that their Bluetooth is set up differently than the TomTom kit:

Can I undock the iPhone from the Premium Car Kit and keep my Bluetooth« connection?

Yes. After initially connecting your iPhone to the Premium Car Kit, you can easily undock the iPhone without losing your Bluetooth« connection.

That makes sense ... thanks for sharing!

If Magellan handles bluetooth a bit more logical, and Magellan supports all Apple devices (iPhone & iPod Touch) and Magellan can handle covers/skins ... it's worth the $10 more ... too bad they (or Apples approval process) missed the Xmas rush ... TomTom may see some exchanges in early Jan for Magellan.

EDH667
Dec 13, 2009, 09:39 AM
That makes sense ... thanks for sharing!

If Magellan handles bluetooth a bit more logical, and Magellan supports all Apple devices (iPhone & iPod Touch) and Magellan can handle covers/skins ... it's worth the $10 more ... too bad they (or Apples approval process) missed the Xmas rush ... TomTom may see some exchanges in early Jan for Magellan.

I agree! I'm on my second TomTom car kit and continue to have problems with the Bluetooth speaker phone cutting in and out so you cannot hear the other person's conversation. I raised the issue with TomTom support and their reply was;

"I have forwarded the information that you provided to our product development team for review. We often use customer feedback as initiative to add or change the features of our products. Thank you for your feedback relating to this issue. We hope to have this issue resolved with a future update to the TomTom application."

I have a Magellan Premium car kit on order and will take my second TomTom car kit back to Apple for a refund!

navguy
Dec 13, 2009, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=EDH667;8950245]Thank you for your feedback relating to this issue. We hope to have this issue resolved with a future update to the TomTom application."QUOTE]

that's curious ... it's an 'application' problem?? i would have thought it was a typical bluetooth h/w issue ... wonder if the other navigation apps have similar issue w/ TomTom car kit?

thanks for sharing

Jape
Dec 13, 2009, 09:10 PM
Just got a notice from BLT that their expected ETA on the TomTom Car Kit is now 12/16. We'll see, but I wouldn't count on it.

Did they randomly send you this email, or did u request an update. I haven't received an e-mail regarding the kit in a while. If this goes on for any longer I will take m business to magellan:mad:

99MustangGTman
Dec 13, 2009, 10:08 PM
Almost bought the kit, but when I went to the Apple store and actually saw it in person I couldn't justify paying $120+tax for a piece of plastic. Yeah, yeah yeah, it has bluetooth, charges the phone, and has a gps chip. Its ridiculous to have to pay $100 for an app and $120 for a piece of plastic.

wclyffe
Dec 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
Did they randomly send you this email, or did u request an update. I haven't received an e-mail regarding the kit in a while. If this goes on for any longer I will take m business to magellan:mad:

I received an email with the link in it, and then clicked on my order to see the new date.

Jape
Dec 14, 2009, 02:53 PM
I received an email with the link in it, and then clicked on my order to see the new date.

Ic, yea I just checked an email with the link for it and it said past due... Sigh. So I sent them an email for some updated information, ill post back when they respond.

Jape
Dec 16, 2009, 12:15 AM
just received an email detailing that BLT has an updated eta for 12/20

wclyffe
Dec 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
just received an email detailing that BLT has an updated eta for 12/20

Me, too.

wclyffe
Dec 20, 2009, 05:49 AM
Ok, its the 20th...lets see what email we get next from BLT.

Jape
Dec 20, 2009, 09:17 PM
Ok, its the 20th...lets see what email we get next from BLT.

Well looks Like it didn't come again :(

Jape
Dec 21, 2009, 11:16 AM
Well looks Like it didn't come again :(

Just confirmed it with BLT, there hasn't been a shipment come in.

wclyffe
Dec 26, 2009, 02:33 PM
Just confirmed it with BLT, there hasn't been a shipment come in.

Seems like they're offline until Monday....

Jape
Dec 27, 2009, 12:05 AM
Hey well my girlfriend just got me a kit for Christmas, and it works great. I've be on a trip with a total drive time of 18 to 20
hours, and I haven't had a problem, and it actually improves my iPhone 3g function since it doesn't have to use the native gps chip. So I think it is a good product. Good luck with BLT!!!

wclyffe
Dec 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
Hey well my girlfriend just got me a kit for Christmas, and it works great. I've be on a trip with a total drive time of 18 to 20
hours, and I haven't had a problem, and it actually improves my iPhone 3g function since it doesn't have to use the native gps chip. So I think it is a good product. Good luck with BLT!!!

Glad to hear, and congrats! I just saw BLT has them in stock so mine will likely be shipping out tomorrow!

marvel2
Dec 28, 2009, 11:53 PM
Glad everyone is starting to get their TT kit. We should move this discussion to the iPhone Accessories forum.

navguy
Jan 2, 2010, 03:42 PM
Been using the TomTom car kit since Xmas ... very useful ... and i have no problems with rotation when hiting bumps :)

question:

when window mount, there is a small slightly domed section that looks like it houses the GPS antennae (total guess); however, when i dash mount this section of mount faces down into the dash ... does anyone know where the antennae is? and whether dash mount negatively impacts the receiving signal?

thanks!

wclyffe
Jan 4, 2010, 08:30 AM
Been using the TomTom car kit since Xmas ... very useful ... and i have no problems with rotation when hiting bumps :)

question:

when window mount, there is a small slightly domed section that looks like it houses the GPS antennae (total guess); however, when i dash mount this section of mount faces down into the dash ... does anyone know where the antennae is? and whether dash mount negatively impacts the receiving signal?

thanks!

There are numerous Youtube videos using the car kit, some that are dash mounted, and it seems to make no difference. I understand its more of a "line of sight" issue so as long as the mount is visible to the sky you're fine. I get mine by Fedex today and I'm mounting it to the dash so I'll let you know how it all works for me.

navguy
Jan 4, 2010, 10:12 AM
There are numerous Youtube videos using the car kit, some that are dash mounted, and it seems to make no difference. I understand its more of a "line of sight" issue so as long as the mount is visible to the sky you're fine. I get mine by Fedex today and I'm mounting it to the dash so I'll let you know how it all works for me.

thanks for the feedback. that would be great.

some of the behavior of the mount that i'm noticing (by using the TomTom car kit free app) is that from a cold start, the mount takes about 20-30 seconds to achieve a satellite fix ... seems longer than the 3GS which makes sense because the mount doesn't have assisted GPS (cellular triangulation help) ...

BUT i'm curious whether the satnav apps are waiting on the mount's fix or taking first availalble? ... i would hope they'd wait on mount since ultimately it should have more precision since it's called 'enhanced' GPS, but how can you tell for sure?

one thing i've tried is to remove the iPhone from the mount after navigating and see if it disrupts the GPS signal w/in the satnav app ... i would expect there to be a switch over to internal GPS and see a small disruption ... but i'm not getting a disrupted signal ... can't be sure one way or the other

wclyffe
Jan 5, 2010, 01:15 PM
BUT i'm curious whether the satnav apps are waiting on the mount's fix or taking first availalble? ... i would hope they'd wait on mount since ultimately it should have more precision since it's called 'enhanced' GPS, but how can you tell for sure?

one thing i've tried is to remove the iPhone from the mount after navigating and see if it disrupts the GPS signal w/in the satnav app ... i would expect there to be a switch over to internal GPS and see a small disruption ... but i'm not getting a disrupted signal ... can't be sure one way or the other

Here's what I've noticed in just one day of use. I'm using Navigon and I did download the TomTom Free App to stop the message from appearing each time. With my 3Gs docked in the car kit, I get the my directions locked in about 5 seconds from when I hit the "Start Navigation" button. I also tried an experiment in my garage, where my phone was unable to get the GPS signal, but docked I had a route in motion in under 5 seconds. Still experimenting.....

wclyffe
Jan 6, 2010, 11:10 AM
So I've played with the TomTom iPhone Car Kit for a couple of days and here's my initial observations.

* It mounted to my dash really well and the adhesive worked better than I thought it would. I like how the phone pops in and out of the mount with one hand.

* The internal chip definitely adds speed and connectivity in more difficult areas. In LA, I get a lock on my directions in about 5 seconds most of the time.

* I'm using an FM transmitter to broadcast my music through my speakers...seems to work pretty good, but the input is a little strong so I have to back my volume down on the iphone.

* I do not like the bluetooth speaker phone built-in for phone calls. It is far inferior to my BluAnt, but luckily it seems I can have both connected and easily switch back and forth.

* Lastly, this is the thing that may make me return it...it rattles, as it is not built very well!! Where the car kit spins to landscape, it is just a little too loose of a setup. Does everyone else have this problem or do I have a defective unit? Would love to know if its worth bothering to exchange it. Thanks!

wacky4alanis
Jan 6, 2010, 01:48 PM
Mine didn't rattle... but the audio output was dropping out, so I had to return mine. It took ~ 3 weeks to get the replacement.

wclyffe
Jan 6, 2010, 02:47 PM
Mine didn't rattle... but the audio output was dropping out, so I had to return mine. It took ~ 3 weeks to get the replacement.

Thanks for the info. I seem to have a bit of play in the part of the dock that rotates. Just holding the car kit in my hands there is play in this part of the mechanism so when I'm on the road its rattling all the time. You don't have this issue? Everything else seems to work so I'm hesitant to send it back as I might get one that's worse!

EDH667
Jan 6, 2010, 03:27 PM
So I've played with the TomTom iPhone Car Kit for a couple of days and here's my initial observations.

* I do not like the bluetooth speaker phone built-in for phone calls. It is far inferior to my BluAnt, but luckily it seems I can have both connected and easily switch back and forth.

* Lastly, this is the thing that may make me return it...it rattles, as it is not built very well!! Where the car kit spins to landscape, it is just a little too loose of a setup. Does everyone else have this problem or do I have a defective unit? Would love to know if its worth bothering to exchange it. Thanks!

I had two different TomTom iPhone Car Kits that I returned because of the bluetooth speaker phone. It would keep breaking up and I was unable to hear all of the other party's conversation. I had mine in the vertical position so I did not notice any rattle. I have ordered the Magellan Premium car kit which from early indications performs better for the bluetooth and positioning.

tstreete
Jan 6, 2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I seem to have a bit of play in the part of the dock that rotates. Just holding the car kit in my hands there is play in this part of the mechanism so when I'm on the road its rattling all the time. You don't have this issue? Everything else seems to work so I'm hesitant to send it back as I might get one that's worse!

I've had mine since November, generally use it in the horizontal position, and haven't had problems with it rattling (and I've got a car with a not-very-smooth-ride). That would suggest that the mechanism is not always loose. I am nervous about it wearing loose over time, because it is surprisingly easy to move by hand, and seems kind of delicate.

I find the speakerphone fine when driving around town, but at freeway speeds my car's pretty loud, particularly with snow tires, so then I find phone calls hard to hear.

wclyffe
Jan 6, 2010, 04:41 PM
I've had mine since November, generally use it in the horizontal position, and haven't had problems with it rattling (and I've got a car with a not-very-smooth-ride). That would suggest that the mechanism is not always loose. I am nervous about it wearing loose over time, because it is surprisingly easy to move by hand, and seems kind of delicate.

tstreete, nice to see you are still checking in...I remember you were one of the first to get a car kit. In the landscape view, my unit does not rattle, but in the vertical position it rattles a lot and I often keep it like this to charge the phone or listen to music, etc when I'm not using the nav app. I'm going to exchange it and see how I fair while waiting to see what the word on the Magellan kit is. Thanks for your help.

navguy
Jan 6, 2010, 06:10 PM
after a week of experimenting ...

no rattle

good bluetooth connection

landscape position is delicate, but holding fine - no movement on bumps (i've tested center position on back and shifted toward bottom in landscape; both work well)

GPS lock is interesting ... 1. definitely takes mount GPS 20-30 seconds from cold start; 2. fast lock is no doubt iPhone assisted GPS initially; 3. there is a moment 30 seconds from cold start when it switches over to mount GPS once lock is achieved (a noticable lag moment - but gotta be watching close)

while i don't have complete facts, i do think the satnavs use the mount most of the time, except from cold start when GPS lock is a bit slower then phone's assisted GPS

speaker works fine - although i'd like to be able to change the inital volume (too loud) w/in the free app

no use of AUX

one add'l thing i've found is that phone boots the mount bluetooth for ear piece - no multi connect option as far as i can tell (iPhone 'feature'?)

otherwise, enjoying the integrated features of the mount so far ...

wacky4alanis
Jan 7, 2010, 09:10 AM
I tested my replacement dock this morning with no issues. I actually love this thing when it is working properly. It makes the whole "iPhone in the car" experience so much cleaner. I hop in the car, pop the iPhone into the mount, and it's ready for both music and nav. I also like how the TomTom app pauses the music during its voice instructions. Some people had complained about it being too abrupt, but it doesn't bother me at all. To be honest, I don't talk on the phone very much while driving, so I've only had one phone call using the bluetooth. That call was fine, but I don't have enough experience with it for a proper review.

wclyffe
Jan 7, 2010, 11:44 AM
Guys & Gals, I'm thinking of having BLT ship me this, if and when they get it in, after seeing this video!!

Magellan Car Kit for iPhone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIb1RmcpTNk

navguy
Jan 7, 2010, 06:14 PM
it definitely is a strong consideration with a few add'l features for $10 more ... including that it works w/ both iphone and ipod touch, works w/ cases/skins, rotation notches seem firmer, and bluetooth works while off mount ... if you can get over the overall cost, the extra $10 is probably worth it.

i received the TT car kit as a gift ... and enjoying it every day :D

wclyffe
Jan 9, 2010, 10:49 AM
it definitely is a strong consideration with a few add'l features for $10 more ... including that it works w/ both iphone and ipod touch, works w/ cases/skins, rotation notches seem firmer, and bluetooth works while off mount ... if you can get over the overall cost, the extra $10 is probably worth it.

i received the TT car kit as a gift ... and enjoying it every day :D

Yeah, the cost is not a huge issue for me as with either car kit, I get a permanent dock that I can pop my phone into and get enhanced gps service, charging, bluetooth speakerphone, and line out to my stereo system. It's pretty good from one unit. Glad yours is working out for you!

marvel2
Jan 11, 2010, 10:28 PM
Little problem with my TT car kit. My iPhone no longer automatically pairs with the car kit when I plug it in. I use to be able to turn BT on and plug it in the TT kit and it would pair in a few seconds. Now I have to manually pair the two by going into the BT settings on the iPhone.

Anyone else with this problem?

wacky4alanis
Jan 12, 2010, 08:56 AM
Little problem with my TT car kit. My iPhone no longer automatically pairs with the car kit when I plug it in. I use to be able to turn BT on and plug it in the TT kit and it would pair in a few seconds. Now I have to manually pair the two by going into the BT settings on the iPhone.

Anyone else with this problem?

Not yet... I get a little beep and they are paired within a few seconds.

marvel2
Jan 13, 2010, 04:50 PM
Not yet... I get a little beep and they are paired within a few seconds.

I get that beep too, but after I MANUALLY pair the phone to the dock. I'm going to try to erase the TomTom Kit from the iPhone's BT paired devices and start from scratch.

ticman
Jan 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Still happy with TT kit. No rattling noise and both landscape and portrait hold in position well. Only issue I have is using aux for music through the car stereo. I continute to get a slight hissing noise which is annoying. If music is loud and heavy base, then I don't hear any distracting noise--but slow or soft music does have the noise. This seems to be the case whether I go from car jack to iphone or from tt kit to iphone to car jack. bummer.

marvel2
Jan 14, 2010, 11:51 AM
So I solved my problem. Erased the TomTom kit from the iPhones BT memory and repaired the two devices. Now the iPhone automatically pairs when I dock it in the TomTom kit.

One thing I think the kit can improve on is the voice volume of a call conversation. It could be a bit louder.

wclyffe
Jan 19, 2010, 12:59 PM
One thing I think the kit can improve on is the voice volume of a call conversation. It could be a bit louder.

Yeah, I felt that too, but it was passable in most situations except for on the freeways. Well, I ordered a Magellan car kit so we'll see what that brings. I am looking forward to just being able to pop the phone into the cradle, case and all.

marvel2
Jan 20, 2010, 01:19 PM
Let me know how loud the volume is during a call conversation. If it is significantly louder than the TomTom, I may jump ship and get the Megellan unit.

My car has no sound dampening material :(

wclyffe
Jan 22, 2010, 03:02 PM
Let me know how loud the volume is during a call conversation. If it is significantly louder than the TomTom, I may jump ship and get the Megellan unit.

So hear's my initial sense of the Magellan kit. I like it better than the TomTom kit for two simple reasons..first, it is rock solid when I drive around no matter how bumpy the road is. Instead of the tiny clicks on the TT, it has simple detents at 12-3-6-9 and it locks in solid. Second, is the fact that I can just put my iPhone in with the case on makes it far more convenient. I didn't think this would be such a big deal, but in fact I'm in and out of the car a lot so its a significant benefit. The speaker is loud and clear, but I don't think its louder than the TomTom...about the same.

I'll let you know more as I use it for awhile!

I just ran into this review today so I thought I'd add it in for anyone interested...

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/01/22/review-on-the-road-with-the-magellan-premium-car-kit/

Tomtomnovice
Jan 23, 2010, 12:06 PM
I am new to this forum, and a true novice with tomtom and car kits. I just downloaded the application onto my iPhone, and then setup the car kit. It works fine. What I have is probably what sounds like the dumbest of questions:

What is the car kit's resistance to cold temperatures? I live in Cleveland, OH and if I live the mount in the car for a whole day during winter, will the chips or anything be damaged?

Do you advice dismounting the kit every time I park for a few hours, and/or for the night? My garage is not heated.

Thanks!

wclyffe
Jan 23, 2010, 02:34 PM
I am new to this forum, and a true novice with tomtom and car kits. I just downloaded the application onto my iPhone, and then setup the car kit. It works fine. What I have is probably what sounds like the dumbest of questions:

What is the car kit's resistance to cold temperatures? I live in Cleveland, OH and if I live the mount in the car for a whole day during winter, will the chips or anything be damaged?

Do you advice dismounting the kit every time I park for a few hours, and/or for the night? My garage is not heated.

Thanks!

I use to live in Minneapolis so I understand these kind of concerns, but I'm really not sure. My instinct is to say take it in overnight, but what a pain! It gets pretty cold where you are, but not bitter cold like in MN. Why not email TomTom and ask them by sending the temperature range for your area?

Tomtomnovice
Jan 24, 2010, 10:58 AM
I sent an e-mail to Tomtom. We'll see what they say. Funny how this info about temperature range isn't available anywhere, and if it is, I could not find it.

wclyffe
Jan 24, 2010, 02:37 PM
Ok, so for what it's worth here are my thoughts in using the Magellan Car Kit for a few days. I'll cut to the chase by telling you I'm sending it back. My big complaints are the bluetooth speakerphone is terrible with the volume being so low during phone calls that you have to turn it all the way up, but that's still not high enough. Then when you get Nav directions you have to turn it way down. The mic is very poor and I made about 15-20 calls during, and not during, the Nav software running. The 3.5mm input to connect your stereo system also plays the small bluetooth speaker on the kit at the same time....that is ridiculous, as its a tiny speaker and you cannot drive it like you can your car speakers, plus it does not sound great playing music through it. The good things were in my earlier post...the ability to pop your phone in with the case on, rock solid and better detent positions than the TomTom that do not slip, the Nav chip seems to locate very quickly, and the Nav directions through the speaker are loud and clear. I guess I'm back to waiting for someone to do this right!

ticman
Jan 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
Regarding using a case with the tom tom kit--I bought a casemate (comes shiny and somewhat rubberized) and it fits fine in my tomtom car kit.

check out the website. maybe it's a solution for you.

funnypicture1
Jan 24, 2010, 06:58 PM
Thread over, tstreete wins.

Congf You.

wclyffe
Jan 25, 2010, 07:05 AM
Regarding using a case with the tom tom kit--I bought a casemate (comes shiny and somewhat rubberized) and it fits fine in my tomtom car kit.

Thanks, that's good to know! Which case from them do you have?

EDH667
Jan 25, 2010, 07:36 AM

I have used the Case-Mate Barley-There and am currently using the Marware MicroShell with the TomTom car kit. They both work fine.

ticman
Jan 25, 2010, 08:37 AM
I am using the Barely There case mate. I got the case that is slightly rubberized as the smooth ones I thought would get very fingerprinted and be slippery.

Happy with my red case.

marvel2
Jan 25, 2010, 12:41 PM
Ok, so for what it's worth here are my thoughts in using the Magellan Car Kit for a few days. I'll cut to the chase by telling you I'm sending it back. My big complaints are the bluetooth speakerphone is terrible with the volume being so low during phone calls that you have to turn it all the way up, but that's still not high enough. Then when you get Nav directions you have to turn it way down. The mic is very poor and I made about 15-20 calls during, and not during, the Nav software running. The 3.5mm input to connect your stereo system also plays the small bluetooth speaker on the kit at the same time....that is ridiculous, as its a tiny speaker and you cannot drive it like you can your car speakers, plus it does not sound great playing music through it. The good things were in my earlier post...the ability to pop your phone in with the case on, rock solid and better detent positions than the TomTom that do not slip, the Nav chip seems to locate very quickly, and the Nav directions through the speaker are loud and clear. I guess I'm back to waiting for someone to do this right!

Thanks for your review. I guess I will stick with my TomTom kit for the iPhone. I don't use a case with my phone and the TT kit is smaller and looks sleeker anyways.

Tomtomnovice
Jan 25, 2010, 01:04 PM
I asked Tomtom support about leaving the iPhone car kit in the car at night in the winter (I live in Ohio). Here is the answer I got.

The operating and storage temperatures for the TomTom devices are as follows:

-4║F to +140║F / -20║C to +60║C

So it can withstand the extreme temperatures inside the car. The only recommendation we would like to make is to keep the LCD screen of the device away from the direct sunlight, as it might damage the LCD screen.

wclyffe
Jan 25, 2010, 01:51 PM
I asked Tomtom support about leaving the iPhone car kit in the car at night in the winter (I live in Ohio). Here is the answer I got.

The operating and storage temperatures for the TomTom devices are as follows:

-4║F to +140║F / -20║C to +60║C

So it can withstand the extreme temperatures inside the car. The only recommendation we would like to make is to keep the LCD screen of the device away from the direct sunlight, as it might damage the LCD screen.

Sounds like they're talking about one of their GPS devices, but its probably the same.

tstreete
Jan 26, 2010, 07:50 PM
Sounds like they're talking about one of their GPS devices, but its probably the same.

I live in Vermont, which is even colder, and leave my car kit in the car overnight; FWIW it's probably gotten colder than -4F and it still works fine.

cooltop
Jan 28, 2010, 05:39 PM
I purchased the TOMTOM app early on and paid $99 for it. One week later, I found it posted in the App Store for $49.99 and today, a couple of weeks after that, the price is $59.99. I have searched the App Store site, iTunes Store AND the Apple site and do not understand how to find a Customer Service Link to ask about a refund for the difference in price. Does anyone know how to reach Customer Service for the APP Store? Thanks in advance...

wclyffe
Jan 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
I purchased the TOMTOM app early on and paid $99 for it. One week later, I found it posted in the App Store for $49.99 and today, a couple of weeks after that, the price is $59.99. I have searched the App Store site, iTunes Store AND the Apple site and do not understand how to find a Customer Service Link to ask about a refund for the difference in price. Does anyone know how to reach Customer Service for the APP Store? Thanks in advance...

Yeah, they don't make it easy.

Go to the iTunes store and click on your account name in the upper right, put in your password and log into your account (View Account). Then half way down the page is a button called Purchase History, hit that and find the TomTom app you bought. You'll see a little arrow to the left of it. Click that and report a problem to start the process.

navguy
Jan 29, 2010, 01:31 AM

also you're mixing two different Apps ... if you purchased the TomTom app early on fro $99, then you purchased the USA + Canada app ... the $59 app is USA-only ... so in effect, you're actually negotiating the purchase of a different app

your USA + Canada version is $79 currently

i agree w/ wclyffe, good luck ... they don't make it easy

not sure it'll work this late after you originally purchased, but you might ask for your "one-time, no questions asked" app refund ... then repurchase the USA only version, if that's what you're interested in

wclyffe
Feb 3, 2010, 11:39 AM

Would love to know if you received some sort of a refund from Apple or TomTom....let us know.