Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpo287

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I have a Macbook Pro prototype labeled as a Powerbook that I am interested in selling. I wanted to list it on ebay but know that Apple is quick to pull any ad of a prototype. So I contacted them and while they said they wouldn't pursue getting it back, they would prefer I not list it on ebay. So I am curious if there are other places I might could list it besides Craigslist.

For a history of the laptop, just do a search on jpo287.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
If you are looking for maximum money I would still put it up on ebay. If it gets taken down oh well. Its not like apple is going to send a squad out to get it.

But ebay is your best bet as more people are going to see it and bid on it.

Or you could just put it in the classifieds here or on other apple forums.

Anyway good luck its a really neat item!

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
I have a Macbook Pro prototype labeled as a Powerbook that I am interested in selling. I wanted to list it on ebay but know that Apple is quick to pull any ad of a prototype. So I contacted them and while they said they wouldn't pursue getting it back, they would prefer I not list it on ebay. So I am curious if there are other places I might could list it besides Craigslist.

Honestly, (from closely following your last thread) I don't think it would be worth too much more then a MBP from that time. Although, there might be some crazy proto-collectors lurking.

jpo287

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
If you are looking for maximum money I would still put it up on ebay. If it gets taken down oh well. Its not like apple is going to send a squad out to get it.

But ebay is your best bet as more people are going to see it and bid on it.

Or you could just put it in the classifieds here or on other apple forums.

Anyway good luck its a really neat item!

The only problem with that is ebay with mark my account "out of compliance" for a year if that happens and I would rather not have that happen.

Where are the classifieds here? Stupid question I know but I don't see the link anywhere.

jpo287

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Honestly, (from closely following your last thread) I don't think it would be worth too much more then a MBP from that time. Although, there might be some crazy proto-collectors lurking.

Well I don't think it's worth a fortune but I do think that given it is fully functional ( I just installed Snow Leopard and it runs great ) I do think it is worth a little more than a normal MBP. After all, it is the only one that I know of so that "uniqueness" should be worth something - or at least it is to me.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I am dying to get my hands on a Clear case prototype Macintosh Portable. There is actually one on eBay right now but it's got alot of damage to the surface plastics (some of the right case plastics are missing), it has stress fractures, the handle is broken, and the machine will NOT boot.

I'm hoping to get a 100% intact clean working model for my collection, but I doubt I will ever find one, they are really rare.

This guy is asking like $5,750 for this junky condition unit, and he started the bid at $500 but I bet there is a hefty reserve price. I just don't think it's worth bidding on one of this condition.

ListedFirst.com

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
Still have it? Still interested in selling it? Contact me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.