Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fanofdool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Okay, I have a set of headphones and a set of speakers. They both plug into the sound output. Switching them is a pain because it's difficult to get to the back of my iMac. Is there anything I could buy, like a splitter, so I could have a switch that would toggle between the speakers and headphones? I don't want to split the signal to both, I just want to be able to switch where the output goes without having to unplug it each time.

Any ideas? Is this possibl?

(I have an iMac G4, 17 inch.)

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
I know there are splitters out there that let you send the signal to 2 things at once, so I'm sure someone must make something like what you are describing. You might try checking out RadioShack (also available online).

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Have you looked into the Griffin iMic? It doubles as an output, and then you could select which device (built-in sound or iMic) you want to use as your Output. That sounds like the best thing to me, you would be able to switch via the control panel, and they're only like $30-$40.

Lee Tom

fanofdool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
The thing is I don't want to switch it on the computer, I want a switch outside of the computer.. What should I look for at RadioShack?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I think it may be hard to find the exact thing you're looking for... but here's one!:

http://electronicsusa.com/mk6.html

It doesn't look pretty, but it would work.
Alternatively, you could build one yourself.
It would be a pretty simple project, actually, and kind of fun.

Lee Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.