PDA

View Full Version : Pavlov's iPod

Doctor Q
Jul 25, 2004, 10:38 PM
While studying conditioned reflexes in the early 20th century, scientist Ivan Pavlov found that if he rang a bell every time he fed dogs, they learned to salivate when they heard the bell, whether they were being fed or not.

Today I noticed that at certain times of day our dog gets excited (running around in circles) if you pick up an iPod. Why? Because that usually means it's time for a walk!

Has anybody else noticed this?

Don't forget: If YOU smile when you pick up your iPod, that's a conditioned reflex too!

jsw
Jul 25, 2004, 10:42 PM
I notice it when I put on my baseball cap. Not with an iPod, as I don't have one yet - but might buy my wife one for her birthday, hence at least giving me access!

homerjward
Jul 26, 2004, 12:41 AM
when i pick up my ipod, i feel like i have 5.6 ounces of fallen heaven in my hand...but with only 1.1 gigs on it

comictimes
Jul 26, 2004, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I'm with homerjward, whenever I pick up my ipod I feel like grinning and running around in circles :p . I'm actually quite surprised how in love I still am with my ipod, as I've had it for several days, and it's my second. It's just that it's so much better than my old 2G....

Chaszmyr
Jul 26, 2004, 04:34 AM
when i pick up my ipod, i feel like i have 5.6 ounces of fallen heaven in my hand...but with only 1.1 gigs on it

By that logic, Apple should make the iPod bigger to sell a bigger chunk of heaven :-p

Abstract
Jul 26, 2004, 04:44 AM
Today I noticed that at certain times of day our dog gets excited (running around in circles) if you pick up an iPod. Why? Because that usually means it's time for a walk!

Maybe this isn't because of the iPod. They know they're going to get a walk when you're smiling, and this smile comes when you touch your iPod. I guess there's an indirect effect in this case. ;)

My dogs get excited for a walk at exactly 4:30pm.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 26, 2004, 08:45 AM
I have a cat, and he could care less about my iPod! :D

Doctor Q
Jul 26, 2004, 12:33 PM
I have a cat, and he could care less about my iPod!Cats are required to act indifferently, because otherwise they could lose their cat license.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 26, 2004, 02:16 PM
Cats are required to act indifferently, because otherwise they could lose their cat license.

Well, that may be true, however, my cat loves my PB. Not to lay on because of the heat (like some pictures I've seen from members here), but just curiosity. He just comes up, sniffs the keyboard on screen and walks away... but he does it just about every day. (...and he's the *smart* cat) ;) :)