Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timothyfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
I've downloaded handbrake and have been able to rip a dvd to my macbook pro, and I can play it perfectly. What I want to do is add it to itunes and load it onto my iphone. Unfortunately when I try to sync my computer to my iphone, it won't allow me to add it to my iphone and it says that the file can't be read by the iphone. Any suggestions?

Rockin' Az

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2005
Try using the iPhone/iPod Touch preset. That should give you a file with the right resolution/bit rate etc for the iPhone.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
A couple of questions to the OP first:

What settings did you use in HandBrake to create the resulting file? Did you use a particular preset, or just the "normal" one that's active when HandBrake launches? What's the file's extension and/or size?

There are iPhone and iPod presets in HandBrake that optimize the resolution and bitrate for those devices. The "Normal" preset has a bit higher bitrate, and iPhones and iPods may have problems accommodating files larger than 2 Gb. You may need to re-encode using the iPhone/iPod presets, as Rockin' Az suggests.

Timothyfin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2009
I ripped it at the normal preset, and didn't see that there were iphone/ipod presets. Will look for them when I get back to my computer this evening.
Thank you for your help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.