PDA

View Full Version : Need help shopping for 12" ibook RAM

mbstuff
Jul 26, 2004, 05:39 AM
I'm trying to put a 512 MB ram on my 12" 1Ghz ibook, the new ones, and I got confused by kingston's online store.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/shop/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KTA-PBG4266/512

http://www.ec.kingston.com/shop/PartsInfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR266X64SC25/512

The first link is what I get through their memory search by computer model. The second is what I get simply searching for some PC 2100 sodimms. There's a 65 dollar price difference. Do I need to buy the expensive one? Do Apples use non-PC standard RAM? Thanks in advance for any help for this Apple noob.

jsw
Jul 26, 2004, 08:03 AM
Yes, the Apple RAM is a little different, in specs if not in size (unsure of whether it's a different form factor). It is, of course, more expensive. But the other RAM, if it even fit, would either not work at all or would cause problems.

Kingston and www.crucial.com are both good, reputable places to buy, and you should get what they recomemnd for your system.

SolidGun
Jul 26, 2004, 08:12 AM
I was shopping around for my PB ram and I wanted a 1GB if the price was right. I saw a Corsair memory for $300 and I thought that was a damn good price.
But in the end I ended up buying 512MB Crucial. Comparing all the 512MB prices and shopping for companies that I know of, crucial is the best price. It was almost $60 lower in price than Kingston.

Celeron
Jul 26, 2004, 08:16 AM
Another vote here for Crucial!

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 26, 2004, 08:36 AM
A vote here for OWC. Got the 1gb Samsung module for my PB. Great price, great service.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 26, 2004, 08:52 AM
Yes, the Apple RAM is a little different, in specs if not in size (unsure of whether it's a different form factor). It is, of course, more expensive. But the other RAM, if it even fit, would either not work at all or would cause problems.

That's not completely accurate. Basically, the companies charge more for Apple compatability, not necessarily that its any different physically. But the catch comes when you purchase the RAM, you have two options: 1) If you purchase the kind not *specifically* stated to fit your Mac, and it doesn't work, you're out of luck. Because, if you don't use their "Memory Configurator" you give up all rights to claim incompatability. 2) You purchase the kind not specifically stated to fit your Mac, and you're just fine.

Why the difference? Well, as I found out last summer, you need to be absolutely sure that the *generic* RAM will work with your machine. I purchased RAM for an eMac. It had all of the same specs everywhere I looked, even in Apple's documentation. The one thing that wasn't mentioned was the density of the RAM. I had gone the cheap route, the density was wrong, the eMac didn't recognize it, I had to return it (and pay the restocking fee), and then cough up the change for the good stuff. I lost $40 on the deal, and it's not something I would try again. Go with Crucial. ;)