PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 w/ iSight Not Booting. Help needed please.

gocatsgo538
Nov 4, 2009, 12:29 PM
I purchased the last generation iMac G5 when it came out a few years ago and I recently tried to sell it. I sent the item to the buyer and he said it would not start. The Apple logo or for that matter anything would not come up. He brought it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they said it was an issue that would most likely cost over $500 in repairs. I just got the computer back in the mail and all that happens when the power button is pressed is the white light on the front lower right hand corner comes on for a second, then the machine shuts down. You can also hear the machine begin to start for about two seconds, then it shuts down. Any ideas as to the problem and whether it is fixable without expensive repair costs?

gocatsgo538
Nov 5, 2009, 05:25 PM
Any ideas? :o

Hurd111
Nov 5, 2009, 06:13 PM
I sounds like a hard drive issue. I had a similar problem not too long ago. Mine would start up to the apple logo and grey screen, and then shut off. I took it in to get it fixed, and the hard drive was the problem. Cost me a little over $300

MTI
Nov 5, 2009, 06:22 PM
A hard drive issue would most likely get you the "?" folder, not a failure to boot or blank LCD.

On the other hand, a failing PSU, logic board (including GPU) or memory could result in a failure to POST/BOOT

gocatsgo538
Nov 7, 2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks guys. So I guess I'll be selling this baby for parts then. :mad:

quantum003
Nov 7, 2009, 01:17 AM
Yeah man, it's probably another case of blown capacitors leading to bad logic boards and bad power supplies. Seems like every iMac G5 I see or hear about has that problem at this point. Open it up for yourself and see if you see any blown caps with dried yellow fluid that came out of the tops. There's only 3 screws in the bottom of you iMac and they don't even come out all the way. Pop off the back and have a look.

Any good with a soldering iron? If you decide you want to try and repair it there's a guy on this site I'll direct you to for advice and parts.

MTI
Nov 7, 2009, 12:31 PM
The iSight version G5's don't suffer the same capacitor problems (logic & PSU) that the earlier versions do; I believe the defective capacitors were identified and resourced, so it's not likely that a soldering iron and supply of caps are going to be a fix.