PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ethernet Port

milzay
Jul 26, 2004, 09:08 AM
I got a 17" iMac 1ghz (G4), its just over a year old and suddenly the ethernet port has just stopped working. Its been working consistently well, but today i turned on the mac and it would not work at all. I use the ethernet port to connect to a router and normally when at the initilisation screen (after the grey apple screen) it slows down for a second (prob less) and i can clearly see that it says something like netwrok initialisation, however now when i start up the computer it does not display this part of the startup.
I tested using different staright through ethernet cables and none worked, i also tested wuth a laptop to ensure that the leads were working correctly.
At this point i guessed that my ethernet port was just fried or dead. But then i plugged in my USB ADSL modem and used a cross-over network cable (connected to same ethernet port on my iMAc), to connect my iMac to my Playstation 2, and this worked, meaning the ethernet is sort of working.
Anybody got any advice, beacuse im confused?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

jackieonasses
Jul 26, 2004, 09:34 AM
i am awfully sure that the ethernet is soldered on the motherboard. so if you have applecare call apple. or you might have to rely on that usb...or airport