PDA

View Full Version : Alert: .Mac members

irmongoose
Jul 26, 2004, 10:56 AM
Well I'll let this email message explain everything:

--------------------------------------------------------------
Dear user of mac.com,

We have detected that your e-mail account has been used to send a large amount of junk e-mail messages during the last week.
Most likely your computer was compromised and now runs a trojan proxy server.

We recommend you to follow our instruction in order to keep your computer safe.

Have a nice day,
mac.com user support team.
--------------------------------------------------------------

I received this email from sidney@eudoramail.com with an attachment called Instructions.zip

Of course I didn't open the attachment.

So just warning people out there.

irmongoose

Juventuz
Jul 26, 2004, 11:05 AM
I received one as well from a rsewell@wesleyan.edu

Needless to say, I didn't open it either.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 26, 2004, 11:31 AM
And let me guess the zip file was about 24 to 30K in size, right? I have gotten a bunch of emails with attachments. Just happy that I have given up on Windoze.

irmongoose
Jul 26, 2004, 10:10 PM
It sure was. Do you think they included anything harmful for Macs? If not what would be the point of sending it to .Mac members?

irmongoose

jsw
Jul 26, 2004, 10:34 PM
Well, the senders were likely innocents. Poor, Windows-using bastards!

Nice how mail from the .Mac team arrives via third party, eh? ;)

Duff-Man
Jul 26, 2004, 11:30 PM
Duff-Man says...it is a new variant of the MyDoom virus...you can read all about it at Symantec (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom.m@mm.html) ....oh yeah!

iJon
Jul 26, 2004, 11:42 PM
i'd open it, it's not like it will do anything.

iJon

themadchemist
Jul 27, 2004, 12:36 AM
i'd open it, it's not like it will do anything.

iJon

haha, I do that, too. When everyone else is freaking out about a viruses, I proceed to open the suspect e-mails, download the attachments, try to open them, and attempt to run them with no luck. Aw, shucks, Macs take all the fun out of virus terror. :D

Durandal7
Jul 27, 2004, 01:08 AM
Just out of curiousity, is this a Windows virus specifically targeting mac.com or does it just fill in a new domain for whoever the recipient is?

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 27, 2004, 05:47 AM
Well, the senders were likely innocents. Poor, Windows-using bastards!

Nice how mail from the .Mac team arrives via third party, eh? ;)

I doubt that it was targeting Mac users. More than likely it picked up the domain name and used that as the hook to get Windoze people to open it up.

Wardofsky
Jul 27, 2004, 06:51 AM
haha, I do that, too. When everyone else is freaking out about a viruses, I proceed to open the suspect e-mails, download the attachments, try to open them, and attempt to run them with no luck. Aw, shucks, Macs take all the fun out of virus terror. :D

Yeah, my school (PC based) got swamped with a lot of viruses a few weeks ago, I was the fortunate to recieve a one sentence, .zip attachment file so I forwarded it to my Mac @ home, opened it up played around and scanned it with Virex.

:rolleyes: If only...