PDA

View Full Version : Entire Beatles' catalogue would begin to become freely avai...

MacBytes
Jul 26, 2004, 11:33 AM
Category: Tunes
Link: Entire Beatles\' catalogue would begin to become freely available from 1 January 2013 (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040726123355)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

crenz
Jul 26, 2004, 02:02 PM
I hope they won't be successful in extending the copyright timeframe. While I think that the rights of the composer and performer should be protected during their lifetime, copyright extensions usually benefit publishing companies, not the artists. I also don't see why the author's heirs should still continue to profit for a long time.

Copyright also implies an obligation to the society: Content must be made free after a certain timespan, so that society can benefit from it. Lots of good books, music etc. disappear from our society or collect dust in moldy archives because they can't be distributed.

iMeowbot
Jul 26, 2004, 02:26 PM
Once out of copyright, the BPI fears such potentially lucrative recordings could be exploited without recompense to the performers or the copyright holders.
Of course the works still have value years later. If they didn't have residual value, copyrights wouldn't have expiration dates because nobody would care.

mrsebastian
Jul 26, 2004, 02:26 PM
i'm with you on the lifetime of the artist. i'd say it should be like a minimum of 50 years and/or the passing of the artist regardless of who owns the rights. not that this would ever happen, but it'd be nice to know as an artist that even though you may have been screwed for the rights of your music, at least you will take those rights to the grave with you.

absolut_mac
Jul 27, 2004, 01:08 AM
i'm with you on the lifetime of the artist. i'd say it should be like a minimum of 50 years....

If I recall correctly, the copyright was for 50 years in the USA, until a lot of lobbying - with the requisite large cash donations into the politicians coffers - by the RIAA and MPAA resulted in the law being changed in order to appease the wealthy few at the expense of the majority.

So much for politicians looking out for the best interests of the people :(

Golem
Jul 27, 2004, 08:45 AM
If I recall correctly, the copyright was for 50 years in the USA.:(

Try Disney, the copyright tends to be lengthened every time Mickey Mouse gets close to running out. I read something earlier today that said while the director/writer/animators/voice actors etc,etc are still alive the copyright shouldnt lapse. Umm how many of those would be getting a share of earnings virtually none.

Welcome to the BBC,Todays news Englands oldest Man now reaches 200. In other news with the Beatles catalogue due to come out of copyright in 2113 copyright should be lengthened from 150 to 195 years....

absolut_mac
Jul 27, 2004, 10:50 AM
Try Disney, the copyright tends to be lengthened every time Mickey Mouse gets close to running out.

You're right about Di$ney, with a little help from their friends, the RIAA and the MPAA.

The sad part is that when it actually comes to meeting their financial obligations to their artists in paying out royalties collected by them, Di$ney has the worst track record.

They took over two decades to pay out a measley one million dollars to Peggy Lee. And who knows how many others they have abused financially like that. This from a company that pays its CEO - Michael Eisner - over a hundred million dollars in cash, stocks bonuses etc.

Such absolute greed and lust for money is really sad :(