PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 800 vs iBook g4 1GHz

Palad1
Jul 26, 2004, 12:09 PM
Hello!

I'm currently shopping for a 12'' iBook for my girlfriend, who will use it professionally (she's a translator)

She needs an iBook for these reasons:

Word
Safari
Mail
Virtual PC : w2k + office + trados + some dictionaries wich are only available as PC CD-ROMs
So she can keep her paws off my beloved 15' ... dirty little women! want to steal our preciousssssss!!!

Do you think a 900 iBook 800 is a better choice than a 1100 iBook 1GHz?

Will tiger run on the newest iBook or not? What are the differences between both versions?

And rest assured I will stuff the poor fellow with gigs of ram! :)

QCassidy352
Jul 26, 2004, 12:51 PM
I can't answer all of your questions, but I would say that the 1 Ghz ibook is definitely the better choice if she plans to use virtual PC much at all. I have a 1 Ghz PB with 768 RAM and VPC is pretty slow and crappy. It's mostly the fault of the software, but running it on a faster machine is still better than on a slower machine.

Core Image is currently not supported on current ibooks due to their graphics cards. But I expect that to change by the final version of tiger. Other than that, tiger will run fine on either.

In addition to the 200 mhz difference, the newer ibooks use a better G4 that has 512k L2 cache instead of the 256k on the earlier model. It also has 256 RAM built in instead of 128.

Because even the new ibooks are "low end" and VPC is so demanding, I would go for the current generation.

Vlade
Jul 26, 2004, 01:13 PM
The new ibook I just bought is actually 1067 MHZ instead of 1000MHZ, i'm not sure why apple added a 1/2 multiplier without telling anyone.

Mord
Jul 26, 2004, 02:00 PM
get a refurb 1GHz and have the best of both worlds http://promo.euro.apple.com/promo/refurb/fr/