Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Hi all!

First, sorry for my bad English. I live in Québec, Canada and my first language is French...

My mom just got a new job, so she will buy me a notebook. I like the 12" Ibook, for his size and battery life. I have check many PC laptop, but they were so big, heavy and with a lame battery life, like 1.5 to 3 hours.

The notebook will be use for Internet, listening DVD and word-excel-powerpoint stuff. I'm not planning to play games or to do video-photo editing stuff. Do you think the Ibook is perfect for that? Also, I want to keep this computer at least 3 years (I will finish my study in 3 years, 1 year of CEGEP and 2 years of University). Do you think the Ibook is powerful enough to be good during all those years?

(all in canadian dollar)
Ibook 1349$
AirPort Card 101$
.mac Bundle 99$
Ipod 20 GB 389$
= 1938$ + tax = 2229,18$

Cram and Jam = 275$
So 2229,18$ - 275$ = 1954,18$

I think thats a great price for all that stuff. If I convert in US dollar, thats 1469.01$

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
the ibook will suit your needs perfectly, also if you are a student don't forget that edu discount

Cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Thx for the reply!

The Powerbook is 1898$

PB 1898$ + Ipod 389$ + tax = 2630.62$

With C and J rebate, thats 2355.62$.

So, 401$ more for the Powerbook. I will have to think about that... And if I'm not takint the .mac stuff with the Ibook, thats more than 500$.

Cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
ToddW said:
the ibook will suit your needs perfectly, also if you are a student don't forget that edu discount

All the prices i said were with the student discount. :)

jcook793

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
Yep, the iBook should be fine for that. In 3 years it will seem slow, but should be fine. I've had my 800MHz G4 iBook since December and I love that little thing. It handles normal computer tasks just fine, even plays a smooth game of Quake 3, and I even do Java development on it from time to time. I would imagine it will be fine for what you need.

And the battery life and WiFi reception are SWEET!

Personally, the 12" PowerBook doesn't seem worth the extra dough, but then again I have a hefty desktop to fall back on.

Cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Ok thx.

I have another question. Currently, my Internet connexion is separated with a D-Link router (not wireless) for my Playstation 2 and my Dell desktop. If i want to be wireless with my notebook, what i will have to do? Buy a wireless router (but i will need 2 ports to connect my PS2 and the desktop) or keep my router and buy a AirPort Express? That's possible to plug the AirPort Express on my current router?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Cooper said:
Ok thx.

I have another question. Currently, my Internet connexion is separated with a D-Link router (not wireless) for my Playstation 2 and my Dell desktop. If i want to be wireless with my notebook, what i will have to do? Buy a wireless router (but i will need 2 ports to connect my PS2 and the desktop) or keep my router and buy a AirPort Express? That's possible to plug the AirPort Express on my current router?

You should be able to use both an airport express and a separate router just fine together.

JzzTrump22

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2004
New York
If thats what your using the iBook for then that would be pefect. You wouldn't need anymore power then that. True the PowerBook is much more superior but for your purposes you don't really need the PowerBook, so an iBook would be great. By the way, your English isn't bad, i know many Americans who speak worse then that, lol. Good luck!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Please remember that you can sell the iBook later if it becomes too slow for you. Macs keep their value very well. The iBook will be fine for you!

Cooper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Some questions again...

A software like Kazaa is available on Mac? And can I chat on mIRC servers with a Mac?

I appreciate for the answers!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Lots of P2P stuff is out for the Mac: BitTorrent, LimeWire, etc. Not Kazaa, though.

I don't think you can get mIRC, but you can get Ircle .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.