PDA

View Full Version : Completely scratch built G4 system built by a PC hardware en...

MacBytes
Jul 26, 2004, 02:18 PM
Category: Tips and How To\'s
Link: Completely scratch built G4 system built by a PC hardware enthusiast (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040726151821)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
Jul 26, 2004, 02:22 PM
so lemme get this straight, he spent over $900 'building' a 500 mHz G4 system to use as a backup, made from mostly used parts.

Short of the "because it's there" answer - why would you do this?

jsw
Jul 26, 2004, 02:25 PM
As far as I can tell, the guy spent $1K to build a 500MHz G4.

Interesting exercise, yes. But I guess I'm missing the point. I mean, if he built a 1GHz G4 system for $500, that'd be something. But here, given the value of his time, I'm not sure what he gained that he wouldn't've gotten by buying a used Mac, taking it apart, and reassembling it.

strngwys
Jul 26, 2004, 02:39 PM
i would have sold him my 500mhz g4 for $1000

oh well it was very interesting. i'm planning on ripping apart my 5300 laptop soon for a custom enclosure. wish me luck. i hope i don't burst into flames!

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 26, 2004, 03:03 PM
Man some people have too much time and money on their hands.

NinjaMonkey
Jul 26, 2004, 03:13 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. He could have bought an eMac with a SuperDrive for less. He could have even gotten an iBook.

I guess I can understand being curious about the hardware but still he spent all that to play with an OS when he could have bought a new machine for less.

brap
Jul 26, 2004, 03:14 PM
This Macintosh also had a second purpose. In addition to the Apple computer being build to experience the OS, it was also being built to act as a back-up computer.
Extra! Extra! Self-confessed "PC man" places more trust in third-hand-me-down-wing-and-prayer G4 than his home network of PCs!

Makes perfect sense to me...

Seriously though, he could have gained just as much experience putting a cheap eMac in a separate case. Instant PMG4. Would have cost less too, $1k, jees. :o

Edit: This is apparently running from a DELL case. A DELL. Irony anyone?

mainstreetmark
Jul 26, 2004, 03:19 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

You must've missed the one where the guy built a RAID array out of 5 floppy drives.

brap
Jul 26, 2004, 03:24 PM
You must've missed the one where the guy built a RAID array out of 5 floppy drives.
Dude, that didn't take 5 months and thousands of dollars.

duany
Jul 26, 2004, 03:25 PM
Wasn't this the site of the "modded" dual G5 that turned out to be a hoax?

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 26, 2004, 03:33 PM

Actually that was cute. And was done as an exercise; and the drives were free since he worked with company.

This guy with his $1000 g4 500mhz is just a little off....

vollspacken
Jul 26, 2004, 03:33 PM

well, I thought the RAID was pretty cool... :)

vSpacken

iMeowbot
Jul 26, 2004, 03:51 PM
Well... it is an overclocking site. Spending a fortune for tiny gains is pretty much the whole hobby.

If the writer hadn't bought a fried motherboard, the project would have been $300 or so cheaper.

iMeowbot
Jul 26, 2004, 03:53 PM
Wasn't this the site of the "modded" dual G5 that turned out to be a hoax?
Yep. It's a hobby site, not Consumer Reports.

mrsebastian
Jul 26, 2004, 04:14 PM
it's good to have a hobby and learn how to build something, but damn if this isn't useless! just took a quick peak on ebay and found this:

G4/733 tower. Unit come with Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse, Panther installed, 512 megs of RAM (one stick of 512 - two open slots), 60 gig hard drive, 133 MhZ bus, DVD-r/CD -rw Superdrive and 250 meg ZIP. These units have the 32 meg AGP (GEFORCE 2 MX) card installed.

so like others have said, what the [bleepin] point?!

shadowfax
Jul 26, 2004, 06:46 PM
it's good to have a hobby and learn how to build something, but damn if this isn't useless! just took a quick peak on ebay and found this:

G4/733 tower. Unit come with Apple Pro Keyboard and Mouse, Panther installed, 512 megs of RAM (one stick of 512 - two open slots), 60 gig hard drive, 133 MhZ bus, DVD-r/CD -rw Superdrive and 250 meg ZIP. These units have the 32 meg AGP (GEFORCE 2 MX) card installed.

so like others have said, what the [bleepin] point?!out of curiosity, what's the price on that unit?

baylormac
Jul 26, 2004, 07:35 PM
from the article:
This project was the result of me wanting to try the Apple OS and computer system but not wanting to pay the (to me) outrageous prices for the system to just simply toy with it.

his system: $900+
brand new emac: $799

with thought processes like that no wonder he is a PC guy.

snooziums
Jul 26, 2004, 07:46 PM
Actually, I really enjoyed that article.

In a sense, I did the same with my Mac.

I started out with my old Power Computing Power Tower Pro (Mac clone). I installed an 8x DVD burner, Zip, Jaz, and PCMCIA drives all made for PCs. Later, I bought an upgrade CPU card from SonnetTech. Because the old case had cooling programs, I upgraded to a standard case. Then I replaced the fans with quieter ones. Then, because my power supply was now overloaded, I replaced the old 300 watt power supply with a new 650 watt power supply. I also removed the floppy drive as I did not need that anymore.

So, after all of this, the only original part of my computer still left is the mainboard. Everything else has been replaced, mostly with PC components.

And I will probably do the same with my next computer.

montex
Jul 26, 2004, 08:38 PM
Did anyone see a picture of the completed unit? Since there isn't one, my guess is that he was so embarrassed at his FrankenMac he wouldn't show it.

And isn't is on "overclockers.com"? You think after all that trouble he would have overclocked it in some way. Geeez what a waste of time and money.

nagromme
Jul 26, 2004, 10:56 PM
As a hobby exercise, I think it's pretty cool.

But he says since it IS just a hobby, he wanted his Mac to be cheaper than normal: "This project was the result of me wanting to try the Apple OS and computer system but not wanting to pay the (to me) outrageous prices for the system to just simply toy with it."

So... he got a FAR lower-end system than any current Mac, for FAR more money. I'm sure the hobbyist interest is genuine (if it's even a real story), but maybe this is also the weirdest way yet for a Wintel herd-follower to prove that Macs cost more :D

He could almost have a NEW iBook with warranty, software bundle, and free printer for that! Or he could have an eMac loaded with extra RAM and games. Both of which choices would include a display :)

Here's the RIGHT way to build your own Mac off eBay:

1. Buy a used 700 Mhz first-gen eMac with cracked case. Cost: $225.

2. Take out all the parts. Sell the CRT back to eBay for $25.

3. Jam the parts in a horrible, hacked-up, throwaway PC case.

4. Buy used RAM and bigger HD. $100.

5. Buy Panther from Amazon at the right moment. $100.

6. Overclock the G4 to 1 Ghz.

7. Place resulting monster inside open fridge door.

Total cost for 1 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 80 HD, wireless-ready Combo Drive Mac with 32MB GPU capable of playing UT04 at low detail... $400.

Sun Baked
Jul 26, 2004, 11:14 PM
Building it from used Mac parts, what a waste of bytes and time -- that ain't a Mac from scratch or a new computer from scratch, but a Mac from donor Macs.

He could have started with...

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/search.php?SearchStr=&SearchCat=AMA1

or a

http://www.pegasosppc.com/processor.php

Linux PPC.

Heck if he had chosen the AmigaOne he could have been running the Beta copy of AmigaOS 4.0 in addition to Linux.

There's new PPC parts out there dude, that don't come from Apple. ;)

Little Endian
Jul 27, 2004, 11:46 AM
Building it from used Mac parts, what a waste of bytes and time -- that ain't a Mac from scratch or a new computer from scratch, but a Mac from donor Macs.

He could have started with...

http://www.eyetech.co.uk/search.php?SearchStr=&SearchCat=AMA1

or a

http://www.pegasosppc.com/processor.php

Linux PPC.

Heck if he had chosen the AmigaOne he could have been running the Beta copy of AmigaOS 4.0 in addition to Linux.

There's new PPC parts out there dude, that don't come from Apple. ;)

Yes many PC users are ignorant to what is available to them in the PowerPC world. They just think PowerPC=Apple. Another thing that I found humoruous is how much this guy spent on building this Machine. Time also = money. PC users just love saying how cheap they can build a machine but those figures that they throw out are often times so low becuase they recycle parts from previous machines and fail to calculate time spent building the machine which in itself is money.