PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook External Wifi Card

Scorched X
Jul 26, 2004, 03:35 PM
I own a 15" Aluminum Powerbook, with an Airport extreme card pre-installed. However, because its chipset is from Broadcom, which keep their drivers closed, I can't use it in passive mode. So I'm wanting to get an external wireless card. The specific one I'm looking at is the Proxim Classic Orinoco Gold Card (8410-WD). This is my first notebook, and I"m a little confused about the CardBus slot. The Orinoco Gold is PCMCIA, so will it be compatible with the CardBus slot? From what I've read it seems backwards compatible, but I never found a definitive answer.

Does anyone have experience with the Orinoco Gold, and whether it has an external antenna jack?

When an externel wifi card is inserted, does the Airport Extreme card have to be taken out for the external to work? Or is there someway you can do it with software?

And finally, can the external be used in place of the Airport extreme for normal day to day connecting? It seems iOXpert drivers allow it to do this.

superbovine
Jul 26, 2004, 05:34 PM
it will work. i never done it before, but i have seem serveral 15" running an orinoco card and kismac successfully.