Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2004
SC
I've got the chance to pick my next laptop for work and I'd love to have a Mac this time around. Speed isn't a constraining requirement but durablity is. Which is more capable of withstanding fairly rugged and continuous abuse?

My two choices are the 1.2GHz 14" ibook or the 1.5GHz 15" powerbook. Suggestions?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I think that the iBook may be slightly more durable. That being said, I've had the 15" Powerbook, and I treat it like ****, and I've never had a problem. I also appreciate the higher quality display and keyboard VERY much.

Lee Tom

relimw

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2004
SC
Kingsnapped said:
iBooks are more rugged, but the powerbook can take some abuse. What kind of durability are you looking for?
Well, my wife has the original 17" pb that I've used some for work, but the case has warped twice on us.

Mostly I'm looking for a system that I can 'toss' in the back of the truck, and bad things won't happen to it with just a sleeve for protection. I spend a significant amount of my time driving between job sites, and working in the not-so-clean areas of constuction sites, so it needs to take clay well :)

tekno_geek911

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I like the PowerBooks' more but the iBook can take a beating! My old iBook fell down a flight of stairs with no signs of damge,theyre built like tanks(atleast on the outside)!

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
I recommend the iBook for what you want, the powerbooks are nicer machines but they are easily dentable from what I hear. Plus I would rather have that bullet proof glass type plastic covering my LCD than a thin layer of Aluminum

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.