Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
There is someone selling an old 15" iMac G4 for $75 on craigslist. She said it just wouldn't turn on one day and that maybe I could get it running again. I am up for a challenge and just to have something to do. I just have a few questions.

1. Is it worth it? After looking at eBay, it seems that the parts themselves are worth much more than this.

2. If it is the power supply that is bad, is there a way to mod a standard PSU to just test the rest of the components?

Any other advice for taking on a project like this? I would like to get it running again, but if not, I will part it out and help other people keep their iMacs running strong.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
If you are up to the challenge, then go for it. Make sure to take a look at it to see if the screen is intact, kb/mouse look ok, etc.

You can at least sell some of the parts and recover some of the money if you cannot get it working.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I wouldn't take it because I don't have the time to invest into it. If you have both the time and the expertise go for it. If Everything else fails, do a mod, use the screen, convert it into a mini G4, or sell it.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Even working it's not a very useful computer these days, although if you can get it to run it'll likely be a collector's item in another 5 years. Or scavenge it for parts. That monitor is pretty darn nice, even if it doesn't compare favorably with new ones.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks guys. If nothing else, it would be a sort of a hobby playing around with it, trying to get it working. I picked up the PowerMac in my signature like this and have since got it running, but with a few issues, and even upgraded it a bit. I am currently working on selling it and I think it's time to move on to another project.

She is checking to see if she has the restore discs for it. If she can't find them, I may pass. I didn't get any discs with the powermac and that has really been holding me back since I can't try a fresh install of the OS to fix the issues.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Even more to the point, $75 is too expensive for something that doesn't even work. She should thank you if you took it off her hands for free...

Bryan

negatv1

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
MI
Don't be all set on re-using that monitor of the imac G4 Unless you have some mad skills, it's not like you're going to be able to plug in another computer to use it. (Think laptop screen)

I have a couple 20's and one 17inch imac g4, all in various stages of disrepair - and like another poster alluded too.. Even running, they aren't worth much. It's a G4! Might be able to part it out on eBay, but really the 15inch models are a dime a dozen.

They are pretty though...

kge420

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2008
$75 is high. As for the purpose of tinkering and not trying to turn a profit, go ahead and buy it. I use a G4 iMac on my workbench for reading reference articles. I more than serves it's purpose. This machine was purchased for $50 with a video problem. It turned out to be the LVDS cable and I purchased a new neck/cable and made the repair. This education gave me the confidence to try iMac G5 capacitor replacement. I have been successful with 6 of these. Remember that part of the learning process is saying I may loose money taking on any project.
Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.