Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil987

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hello,

According to you, what is the best case to protect the iPhone against drops between these cases:
- Speck CandyShell
- Speck PixelSkin
- SwitchEasy Colors
- SwitchEasy Neo
- Marware SportGrip

Do they really prevent the iPhone from breaking or are they just good-looking cases?

Thanks,

- Phil

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I love the Candyshell. It offers 2 layers of protection. A softer material on the inside and a harder shell on the outside. Best of both worlds. I have dropped it from say pocket height a couple of times, on a tile floor with the Candyshell, and no damage what so ever, not even to the case.

Any silicone case you get will protect against falls. Obviously the thicker the case, the more protection.

Also, I'd look for something with the lay-on-the-table design, to lesson the chance of the screen hitting the floor. IF there's a rock, or something on the ground that the screen hits, other then an OtterBox, you may be SOL.

My favorite case used to be the Neo, until I found the Candyshell. Neo is an awesome case, just a royal pain in the ass to get on and off. Too many parts, and the "I" frame edges crack easy.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i have a rubber case i bought from a NYC street vendor. i think i paid $5, but maybe it was $15. i've dropped my 3GS on concrete and it protected it just fine.

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
the "colors" too thin for that.
neo won't absorb serious impacts.
pixelskin got awesome covering on the back and sides, not so much on the front.
i never tried the sport-grip,
so the candyshell will be my choice from this list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.