PDA

View Full Version : Ibook g3 (indigo clamshell) upgrading power query!

SmallClone
Jul 26, 2004, 09:56 PM
I recently was given the above mentioned Ibook for two DDR sticks of ram and a bunch of lunch checks my cousin owed me. he could'nt be happier back on his PC it seems. anyway, i want to upgrade its harddrive and maybe the cd-drive to better suit myself for my moving my recording projects about. My question is if I purchase this harddrive will it work with jaguar installed on my g3 ibook and will it improve performance? Most importantly will it slowly burn out my notebooks power supply?(I had this happen when putting a new AGP video card into a PC it needed so much power it took the 250watt power supply with it.)

Here are the Ibooks specs:

Mac G3 Ibook (Indigo case with single firewire port)
366Mhz
128MB of Ram (will be 320 when i get to putting in a 256mb sodimm i have.)
10gb Harddrive
8mb ATI rage video
I Believe the power supply is 45 watts?

Oh yeah, here is the harddrive i plan to by:

40gb 5400rpm Samsung Notebook Harddrive (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-152-501&depa=0)

Also will i be able to just put in any DVD/CDRW combo drive in it?(with the above questions about power and compatibility involved also) also will the indigo blue cd-rom cover fit any combo drive?

I'm not that experienced with notebooks or ibooks. And I don't want to blow mine up sticking in somethign that needs alot more juice or does work in teh mac relm...

any help would be awesome,

-Brian

Mord
Jul 27, 2004, 05:34 AM
don't worry about it hard drives and optical drives don't take much power.

also put 10.3 on it 10.2 was buggy and your ibook will be more snappy with 10.3 it is far better os

i'd go for a nice hitachi 7200 rpm HD it will work fine. and will be nice and fast.

dont frett about the power.

SmallClone
Jul 27, 2004, 12:19 PM
dont fret about the power.

Thanks, do you know also if my front Indigo blue bezel from my current cd-rom drive fits on just any standard notebook dvd/cdrw combo?

and what exactly CD wise will i need to get 10.3 on my system. every disc ive seen is a DVD in nature and my ibook has just a 24x CD-rom...

but those were just seird system specific discs that i barrowed and figured they wont work.

can i get 10.3 on here easily?

Mord
Jul 27, 2004, 05:01 PM
it probably wont although you could prabably glue it on some how it depends on the drive.