Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
People ask questions here alot. Lots of questions are very stupid and annoying, as such, "Where can I download a megagig of hard disk ROM for my monitor?"

Some others, however, are very intelligent and many people could beneift from knowing what the answer to a question is. One I've seen quite a bit was about white spots on the PowerBook. But that's not a "good one" since thousands of sites have information about this. I asked a question a while back on the spindle speed of the eMac's 160 GB hard disk. http://www.google.com/mac?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=eMac+160+GB+Hard+Disk+Spindle+Speed You can see that this is the only result actually pertaining to the speed of the drive. Therefore, in a nutshell, MacRumors is the only place on the web that has information about the spindle speed of the eMac's 160 GB hard disk. Perhaps, just perhaps, a few other good questions could start a MacRumors oracle. I'd be glad to piece it together if enough people support the idea. Just my suggestion. Thanks for listening.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
HA! Jimsowden! I guess you're getting a little bit over confident because of that eMac prediction, eh ;).

I don't know about the whole compilation of MR threads. It seems like a whole lot of hard work for something not so great. I, too, posted a thread about the RPM's of the eMac HD (only months earlier). It's not a question that we come by too often, though. It just, IMO, seems unnecessary.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
Oh, perhaps it could even have a Sherlock channel!

I thought of the perfect way to describe it... "The Knowledge Base of Everything that's not in the Apple Knowledge Base"

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Actually there was some interest in a FAQ archive before, don't think it got anywhere.

Doubtful it will cut down on stupid questions.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
are we thinking about somthing like the http://www.cubeowner.com/faq ?, as fo9r all things cubed a link could just point to that. allot of this stuff is done but not brought together so allot of it could be just points to links.

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
First off, I haven't been here in a while, because of a thing called life. Sometimes it really sucks.
Second off, I didn't imagine it looking like that. Kind of. But not completely.
I was thinking you'd go on the site and click on, say, eMac, then click on drives, then click on RPM Speed of Drives.

Or Powerbook, Displays, White spots on display.

You would then read something like:
"The speed of the 160 GB hard disk in the 1.25 GHz eMac is xxxx RPM.
Click here for the origional post"
or
"Many users have had problems with white spots on PowerBook displays, and Apple has in most cases replaced the display.
Click here for a list of links that point to posts relating to this issue."

Tell me what you think. I feel like this is a really good idea and wouldn't want to see it die. ;)

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
*thrilled to see that, about a year later, my origional idea has finally been brought to life with the launch of the Mac Guides.* Thanks MacRumors!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.