PDA

View Full Version : Windows problem

jtgotsjets
Jul 27, 2004, 02:13 AM
Can anyone help me with a Windows problem?

I just reformatted my girlfriends computer (WinXP) due to some serious slowdown, and now its all clean, everything runs as fast as it should, except for one thing: windows.
(kind of ironic that i'd have a problem with windows in Windows)

Anyway, the problem is this. Anytime I am scrolling a window (internet windows [I'm using firefox] seem to be the worst culprit) or moving the window, I notice some serious lagtime. I don't have any idea what's causing it, as it did this as soon as I finished the reformat.
It's 1.5 Ghz, and it has 512 MB of RAM, so thats not the problem. The CPU usage isnt spiked or anything weird. Is there some setting I need to turn off to help it out? (smooth scrolling in firefox is off, when on, the lag is kind of reduced, but the pages scroll slower).
I can't remember it doing this before, but then I can't remember much.

At the very least, can you people send me to a better forum to post this? I come here for most of my computing woes, and I know a lot of you are window's users, so any help would be appreciated.

edesignuk
Jul 27, 2004, 02:17 AM
Make sure you have the most up to date and correct video card drivers. Sometimes WinXP will load driver that work with your card (allowing high-res, 16-32-bit colour), but they will be wrong and because of this it will cause scrolling and the moving of windows to be horribly slow.

jtgotsjets
Jul 27, 2004, 02:41 AM
Make sure you have the most up to date and correct video card drivers. Sometimes WinXP will load driver that work with your card (allowing high-res, 16-32-bit colour), but they will be wrong and because of this it will cause scrolling and the moving of windows to be horribly slow.

I thought of this about 20 seconds after posting when I realized that I couldn't get headphones to work on this computer because I needed to reinstall drivers.

As soon as I went to reinstall video/sound drivers, I realized that I also need to reinstall all the Windows updates that came out since she got the computer, to help prevent it from slowing down so bad again. (currently getting service pack 1)

Thanks though. I'll let you know what happens once I get the new drivers.