Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
I am thinking of picking up a used Blackbook (2.4/2/250) and have a couple of simple/stupid questions since a new uMBP is my only Mac experience.

Can you enable two finger tapping for right click on a Blackbook? I don't mean holding two fingers on pad and clicking the button...I mean tapping with two fingers at the same time like you can on the new multi touch pads? I hate buttons and like tapping for everything. If not with leaopard will SL offer this option?

Also how do you scroll with the pad on those older models....can you do it with the pad only not pushing buttons?

As far as I know there are no 3 or 4 finger gestures available on a Blackbook right? Are expose etc all only available with keys?

Sorry for the simple questions.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
You scroll using two fingers on the pad, Regarding the right click you have to press ctrl + click of the button.

And yes you are right 3 + 4 finger does not work.

jb3001

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
Actually, if you got to system preferences -> trackpad you can enable two finger tap to right click. I have an early 2008 whitebook, so I'm sure it's the same on the blackbook you're looking to buy.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
Actually, if you got to system preferences -> trackpad you can enable two finger tap to right click. I have an early 2008 whitebook, so I'm sure it's the same on the blackbook you're looking to buy.

Thanks great...

So to be clear on the older plastic macbooks options for right clicking are

1. Control plus a tap on pad or click of button
2. hold two fingers on pad and click of button
or 3. tap two fingers on pad (just like new umbp)

How are the screens on the Blackbooks overall? Decent for everyday use? I have read stuff about poor viewing angle and other complaints. It's hard to know if that it just someone being picky or the reality of the average.

Thanks for the fast replies everyone.

jb3001

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
Assuming my whitebook will function just like your blackbook, then yes.

I can't give you a definite answer, though, since I don't have a blackbook, but I don't see any reason why the models would be any different. In fact, the blackbook you're looking at is more powerful than mine.

As for the screens, I'm fine with mine. Actually, I've never had a problem.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
My screen has always been fine too. The viewing angle is not a problem either.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks a lot...without being able to go mess with one in person your replies are helping tremendously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.