PDA

View Full Version : Jargon...I don't understand...

Brother Michael
Jul 27, 2004, 09:17 AM
hey all,
There is some jargon that gets said around here that I do not understand...

What does: rev 1, rev 2 or rev a, rev b etc etc mean?

what about: BTO

Thanks
Mike

robbieduncan
Jul 27, 2004, 09:56 AM
rev = revision. So when a new product is introduced (say the PowerMac G5) it's rev 1 or rev a. When it's udpated (2.5Ghz G5 for example) it's rev 2 or rev b.

BTO = Build To Order (a customised system from Apple's online store).

Brother Michael
Jul 27, 2004, 10:04 AM
ahh ok thanks!

Mike

Abstract
Jul 27, 2004, 10:05 AM
BTO = Built To Order. Say you're ordering a Mac, and instead of taking the default 15" Powerbook, you upgrade the harddrive to the 5400rpm model, and you upgrade to the 128MB video card as well. They have to put the stuff you want into it --- just for you. So a BTO order generally takes longer.

If you go to the online store, and you pick a Mac of any sort, you'll see the specs of the model and a price for it. If you change ANY of those specs, your order becomes Built To Order. :)

Rev A refers to the first iteration of a particular model. For example, the 12" and 17" Powerbooks were released at the same time. The 12" was released with a 867MHz G4. This is the Revision A model because it was the first. The Revision/Rev B model of the 12" Powerbook is what I'm typing on right now. It's the updated model of the rev A that came after it. It uses a 1GHz G4. The current model of the 12" is the rev C, which now has a 1.33MHz G4.

So how is the Apple purchasing going? ;)

rueyeet
Jul 27, 2004, 11:07 AM
The revision of a piece of hardware is always good to know, since the first release of a new form factor (Rev 1 or Rev A) often suffers from a few problems of varying severity. For instance: the white spots on the first 15" AlBooks, or the heat issues on the first 12" AlBooks.

bluebull
Jul 27, 2004, 07:33 PM
What about R & D?

jsw
Jul 27, 2004, 07:37 PM
Research and Development

The part of producing a system that takes it from idea to ready-for-manufacture.