Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
My MacBook CD battery has a bulge going the length of it. It doesn't really bother me, except for the fact I'm a bit worried it's going to explode.

My MacBook is out of warranty, but this battery was given as a replacement some time back. Even if it is out of warranty, do you think a Genius would look at it to make sure it's safe? I'd hate to buy a new one when this one's still good, but even worse, I'd hate to come home to a melted MacBook.

If it matters, it's a CD 2.0Ghz.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yes. You should stop using it.

I'd take it in and see if you can get the battery replaced, I don't see why they wouldn't.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Yes. You should stop using it.

I'd take it in and see if you can get the battery replaced, I don't see why they wouldn't.

Ok, let me rephrase that....would they check it for free? I really don't want to pay $60 to be told I need a new battery. I'd rather just buy the batter.

And I'm going to San Antonio Tuesday. Ahh, I'd much rather save money though.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You shouldn't have to pay for them to look at the battery - I'd just take the battery in or even call Applecare.

I had my battery replaced no questions asked when it bulged. I called, so I needed to give a credit card (in case I didn't return the defective one).

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
The hub of stupidity
You shouldn't have to pay for them to look at the battery - I'd just take the battery in or even call Applecare.

I had my battery replaced no questions asked when it bulged. I called, so I needed to give a credit card (in case I didn't return the defective one).

IIRC AppleCare is required to replace bulging batteries with no questions asked when brought to a retail store (or shipped in, if that's your thing). Apple will not charge you to replace it, and will likely do it in the store immediately if you set up a Genius Bar appointment online. If you contact AppleCare by phone, have a credit card number ready (they will not charge you, it is for collateral) and they will tell you to ship the defective unit to them after you have received the new one.

Hope it's some help

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Bulging batteries are a sign of something not being right. I would have it looked at as soon as you can, and have it replaced.

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009
Even if it's not free, you should get it replaced. They won't charge you for diagnostics on a battery.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

when i told them my batt was bulging last year on my mb over a year out of applecare, they gave me no issue at all replacing it for free

i didnt even ask to get a free one

i merely said my batt was bulgin and how much a new one was. he said just bring it in and theyd give me a new one

awesome expericence

kate-willbury

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2009
when i told them my batt was bulging last year on my mb over a year out of applecare, they gave me no issue at all replacing it for free

i didnt even ask to get a free one

i merely said my batt was bulgin and how much a new one was. he said just bring it in and theyd give me a new one

awesome expericence

lol. yah having a bulging battery is a great experience.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I got mine replaced a couple of months ago. Just needed to book an appointment at the Genius Bar. (Apple Store, Regent Street, London.)

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Well, I just got back from the Apple store. He said I would need a new battery and mentioned it was out of warranty. I asked what I need to do and he said he'd talk to the manager about getting me a replacement one.

I left with a free battery. Great experience.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Once again, Apple doing the right thing. I am guessing a bulging battery is pretty easy for a manager to write off as I am sure it started to bulge before you even noticed it.

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I've had this problem on my macbook ( late 2006 ) for a while ( probably a year ), now my trackpad doesn't click and misses touches very often, if I pull the battery out, it works fine.

I called Apple today and they want me to pay for a replacement, which is fine, but the battery still lasts for almost 3 hours on a charge!

My gripe is that I had trackpad problems ( same as I am having now, just not as bad ) early on ( almost at the end of my warranty year ) and had to have the keyboard and top case replaced due to them - I'm just wondering if a bulged battery wasn't the problem then as well, and if they should have given me a new battery? Seems like it to me. Because even after the repair, the trackpad didn't work like it originally had, but I dealt with it, because I just thought it was "wear and tear". But the battery has become noticeably bulged out the bottom of the case now, so I looked it up online and decided to call Apple. The representative told me to take out the battery and see if the trackpad worked better, so I took out the battery and the trackpad works like new!

This macbook has been by far the most reliable computer I have ever owned in 20 years, but I've never had a battery bulge like this damaging the rest of the computer.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store this week, there's one within probably 15 miles, and see if they replace it.

I'll update after I take it in next week. But so far, my experience with replacing the significantly bulging battery has not been good. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.