Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoneyX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Okay so basically I was just wondering if it is okay to charge your iPhone 3G with a "random" dock/charger if it works.

It charges my ipods as well. When I plug in the iPhone 3G though, it says something like "this dock blah blah wasn't made for the iPhone, would you like to turn on airplane mode so frequencies or something won't be interfered with much", but I think that has to do with the audio, because it can also play the iPhone through it.

So yeah the reason i'm wondering is because the iPhone itself doesn't really get hot when charging with this dock, but the dock itself does. Is it safe?

Any answers appreciated

the-sandman

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Leicester, UK
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think what its referring to is that the speakers my not be magnetically shielded and therefore you may get the GSM buzz through them, but only if the phone is not on 3G as that frequency doesn't interfere with speakers.

But it is something that'll appear on any accessories that aren't marked as 'Made for iPhone' as they don't have the correct chip in them to tell the phone its iPhone compatible. My old iPod universal dock does this, but a newer one won't, for example.

Long story short, it shouldn't have any adverse effects on either phone or dock, but if you are on GPRS or EDGE networks you may get buzzing through the speakers when on.

MoneyX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Okay ya I do experience the buzzing sounds, and thanks for the answer.

I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't over heating or anything and that the hot dock wouldn't damage the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.