Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
I was plugging in my CF Reader to look at my latest pics from a day trip my wife and I took today, when....I pulled out the plug before properly disconnecting. Then, of course, after plugging back into my macbook pro, it says it's corrupt! kaput! dead in the water. I put the compact flash card back in the digital camera, and I get ERR....no pics. Is there anything I can do? Or, have I lost almost 500 pictures!!!!

Gotmoose

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2009
Some CF cards have recovery software that either comes with the card or that can be downloaded from their site. I know lexar cards can do this and some from sandisk.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, I have both Lexars and scandisc CFs. I have never had to but they do come with recovery software. I would definitely check online to see if yours offers something for recovery before just giving up and reformatting.

I only ever take my cards out when swapping with another. I am always uploading images direct from the camera. Less chances of messing things up.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
How big of a difference is it from uploading from the camera versus a card reader? I've always uploaded from camera but a lot of people use card readers, which I could see if you had multiple cards at one time but what else?

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
How big of a difference is it from uploading from the camera versus a card reader? I've always uploaded from camera but a lot of people use card readers, which I could see if you had multiple cards at one time but what else?

Speed. I have a FW800 reader that allows me to pull the full 45MB/s off my Lexar 300x. It's fantastic for importing the pictures. As for USB2.0 Readers vs Camera... probably not so much anymore. My 20D was just USB 1.1 so card readers made a lot more sense a few years ago. Now? Probably not as much unless you step up to FW800/PCMCIA slot readers.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I have an ExpressCard 34 CF card reader which I use with my MBP. It means that I don't waste battery life uploading pics. I can also keep using the camera with another card whilst there is one card uploading. When i'm doing sports photos this is important to me.

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
I'm sorry but I have to say "wow, I'm surprised" - I have often had other people accidently yank a memory stick or hard drive from the computer without properly unmounting it first, see the error - but this has never led to an actual problem with the data. I would second the use of one of those photo rescue programs - because your data is most definitely still on there until you overwrite it with new photos. It might also be worth while to use Apples own Disk Utility to check out the disk for some sort of directory structural errors [talking out of my bum]? Good luck!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Some card readers are faster than cameras but not all of them.

I don't care about download speed. Aperture lets you edit the photos as soon as the first photo is transferred. So I do not have to wait more then about 4 seconds no matter how many images I have on the card.

jacintosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
Yes

Will I popped for the $31 and Photo Rescue did the trick! Thanks for the advice.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.