PDA

View Full Version : XBOX modding

jeff.macaddict
Jul 27, 2004, 04:15 PM
A few days ago i bought an xbox, so i could play a few games that cant be played on PS2. I had an idea, i bought a second one, so I could mod it, but was wondering what it would accomlish. I want to add RAM to the xbox, as you can, but will i see a performance difference while using it as an xbox playing xbox games? i havent found info on this, so i checked here.

If anyone has any suggestions as to things i should mod on my xbox besides RAM and hard drive, please speak up, cuz i am not afraid of messing up this ms box, as its a secondary machine.

rhpenguin
Jul 27, 2004, 04:38 PM
the only thing i have done to mine is a xecuter2 modchip and a 120gb maxtor hdd. I still buy games, but its nicer to play them from the HDD because its a lot faster!

Also i can use xbmp!

Capt Underpants
Jul 27, 2004, 04:46 PM
I honestly don't see how the extra RAM would help you, at all. All of the games were programmed specifically for the xbox's hardware specs. They won't recognize the extra RAM, so it would be pointless. If you actually feel like modding your xbox, go ahead. If you don't, send it in to www.xbo.cx.

King Cobra
Jul 27, 2004, 04:52 PM
The xBox doesn't recognize more than 64MB of RAM. Also, don't bother getting a CPU faster than 733MHz, as your games would then run too fast. In addition, don't bother upgrading your Hard Drive, because your xBox only sees 8GB max... except if you have the right mod chip...

If you're interested in mods, you might want to become more inspired first. Check out this xBox mod (http://www.xboxxtreme.net/forum/thread.php?threadid=959&boardid=9&sid=c6d34b08ce809e8cb28c6cf9bae2bda5) from 2003, especially this pic (http://www.401error.com/401error/xbox/images/xbox_002.jpg).

The other reasons I can see modding your xBox would be to get backups of games working, as well as custom-made CDs. Do some research on the following models: Xtender, Enigmah (recommended), Matrix mod chip. In all cases, you better master those soldering skills (like, making 30 connections in a 0.5 square inch area without screwing up once) to get the chips working correctly, or buy a cheapo non-soldering chip, from here: http://www.lik-sang.com/

EDIT: Brian Underdahl's XBOX: Blow the Lid Off helps quite a bit for online information and nearly every technical thing you can think about as to why something simple isn't working [right], exclusive of how to install the mod chips or loose hardware inside the xBox.

Capt Underpants
Jul 27, 2004, 08:24 PM
I've been thinking about modding my xbox, but only visually. Maybe paint it an aluminum color, and put a glowing G5 where the jewel is. It'd be pimp!

Kwyjibo
Jul 28, 2004, 02:17 AM
search the forums, i've typed quit a bit on this topic

also check www.xbox-scene.com and www.xbox100.com

Capt Underpants
Jul 28, 2004, 07:00 AM
search the forums, i've typed quit a bit on this topic

also check www.xbox-scene.com and www.xbox100.com

So I take it you have an xbox, and it's modded? If so, have you done any visual modifications?

agreenster
Jul 28, 2004, 08:40 AM
I've heard that after you install Linux on an XBox, its possible install a Maya render client.

Wouldnt it be awesome to have a renderfarm made entirely of XBoxes?

You could have like, 30 of them for the price of 5 computers.

FriarCrazy
Jul 28, 2004, 08:53 AM
Once you have modded your Xbox, it is possible to install emulators for old game systems. Imagine playing Super Nintendo or Playstation on your Xbox! I have a friend who has done this, he puts Divx movies and roms and stuff on his Xbox. Kinda makes me want to buy one, but I just don't have the time (or the mod chipping experience) to mod it up. There are lots of reasources out there about modding your Xbox, a simple Google search will come up with tons of interesting things to consider.

Kwyjibo
Jul 28, 2004, 11:37 AM
no, mine looks like a regular xbox but its i've added a mod chip and 80 GB hard Drive