PDA

View Full Version : Windows Programmer looking to code for iPhone. Where to start?

kAoTiX
Nov 9, 2009, 07:00 AM
I am a windows programmer of 7 years and are looking to start programming for iPhone/iPod. Basically, I have no idea where to start...well, I sort of do but would like some pointers.

I know I need a mac (! I bought a PPC mac mini how stupid.)
Will be getting an Intel based Mac in the coming weeks.

Where do I go from here? I currently program in C++/Delphi and do web programming for PHP/MySQL so learning a new syntax/language isn't a problem but I know I'm going to be reading a fair few books first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

robbieduncan
Nov 9, 2009, 07:02 AM
Learn plain-old basic C. Ensure you understand pointers well. Then learn Objective-C. Both of these can be done using web-based resources only (edit by this I don't mean you must do it online, rather that you can do it without buying any books).

kAoTiX
Nov 9, 2009, 07:05 AM
*forum lurker alert*

that was a fast response!
I'll be sure to check that out. I do have some understanding of plain old C and read some things about objective C but never anything practical. Can you recommend any online resources or books/ebooks to get me started?

robbieduncan
Nov 9, 2009, 07:09 AM
Apples' own developer site has this large and comprehensive document (http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/cocoa/Conceptual/ObjectiveC/Introduction/introObjectiveC.html).

kAoTiX
Nov 9, 2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the information yet again.
I'm excited now to see what I can do!

*waits for mac mini*

robbieduncan
Nov 9, 2009, 07:27 AM
For iPhone development you should also read:

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/Xcode/Conceptual/iphone_development/000-Introduction/introduction.html
http://developer.apple.com/iphone/library/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/MobileHIG/Introduction/Introduction.html

These are all linked to from the iPhone Dev Center (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/)

dukeofism
Nov 9, 2009, 11:13 AM
I have just started learning to Develop applications for iPhone also. My background is in Java. I recently picked up the book "Learn Objective-C on the Mac" by Mark Dalrymple. So far I like it a lot and it does a good job of introducing you to Objective-c. I prefer to have a book in hand rather than read from a computer screen (especially since I tend to be working on code examples as I read and it gets frustrating flipping between some browser and xcode.)

Hope that Helps.
Good luck!

dejo
Nov 9, 2009, 11:22 AM
Also, be sure to check out the Guides and Stickies at the top of this very forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135).

firewood
Nov 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
If you already know and can use multiple programming language, OOP concepts, and UI frameworks, then the path to iPhone coding can be fairly quick, maybe just a few weeks for some people. First read the Obj-C tutorials or books, then move on to reading example iPhone code and Cocoa Touch programming guides/books. Apple has plenty of the documentation needed to get running quickly.

Relearning how Objective C's form of punctuation abuse differs from C/C++ looks to be a major issue to some programmers, but goes quickly once you start coding a few example/tutorial apps.

There are a few things in C++ that aren't straightforward in Obj-C, so you may have to learn a few alternate programming strategies. I do not recommend mixing Obj-C and C++, at least initially (unless your sole project is to port a major C++ compute engine).

dejo
Nov 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
Relearning how Objective C's form of punctuation abuse...
:confused:

fernandovalente
Nov 12, 2009, 12:32 AM
Read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-3rd/dp/0321503619

If you have a basic C or C++ knowledge, you will find it that easy. This book was wrote by a man who taught Objective-C to Apple and NeXT employees and some other places.

firewood
Nov 12, 2009, 06:12 AM
:confused:

You're going blind if you don't notice all the bizarre punctuation required by most programming languages. Periods that aren't at the ends of sentences. Brackets that aren't used for footnotes. & etc.

NickFalk
Nov 12, 2009, 06:33 AM
I am a windows programmer of 7 years and are looking to start programming for iPhone/iPod. Basically, I have no idea where to start...well, I sort of do but would like some pointers.

I know I need a mac (! I bought a PPC mac mini how stupid.)
Will be getting an Intel based Mac in the coming weeks.

Where do I go from here? I currently program in C++/Delphi and do web programming for PHP/MySQL so learning a new syntax/language isn't a problem but I know I'm going to be reading a fair few books first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

As you are already a programmer I think it should be fairly straightforward for you. I think perhaps getting used to Xcode might be the stumbling block if you're used to VisualStudio or similar.

Recommended books from the top of my head are:

Kochan's Objective-C book
Hillegass' Cocoa for Mac
Someone's ;) Cocoa design patterns

Personally I needed Begining iPhone Development from Apress as well, but then I hadn't programmed anything since I dabbled with Turbo Pascal in the early 90's. I knew practically no OOP and the above mentioned book is a really good book for beginners.

TodVader
Nov 12, 2009, 09:22 PM
Kochan's Objective-C book

+1 for this book. I really liked it and its fun to read too. Some parts are hard, you need to reread them several times but everything is very clear.

kAoTiX
Nov 13, 2009, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the replies, still waiting on my mac mini but I've got a few of the books and they're really interesting.

fernandovalente
Nov 13, 2009, 01:05 AM
I know you got a PPC Mac, but it doesn't mean you can't start. If you know programming for the Mac, you know programming for the iPhone. It's very similar. I suggest you to start creating some projects to learn. It's gonna be easier when you get your Intel Mac because you will have some experience with Objective-C and Cocoa.