PDA

View Full Version : Can Microsoft force change in the PC industry?

wrldwzrd89
Jul 27, 2004, 04:30 PM
I wonder if Microsoft, the maker of WIndows, could force changes on the PC hardware industry by not supporting certain hardware in Longhorn? For example, one change I'd like to see in the PC industry is a phase-out of PS/2 for keyboards and mice, replacing it with USB. If MS chooses to leave out PS/2 support in Longhorn (and lets everyone know they're doing it), will PC makers adapt and stop including PS/2 ports, keyboards, and mice on their systems?

rhpenguin
Jul 27, 2004, 05:11 PM
I think they do have the power to do that, but why? PS2 is tried tested and proven. Granted, same could be said about USB on the Mac...

Nermal
Jul 27, 2004, 05:16 PM
One of the worst things you can do on a 'PC' is drop the PS/2 keyboard port. One of my friends had a Gateway without PS/2, and he had a problem with Windows. So I shut down into DOS mode, and found that I couldn't type anything with the USB keyboard. Having only USB would be a nightmare for tinkerers.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 27, 2004, 05:21 PM
One of the worst things you can do on a 'PC' is drop the PS/2 keyboard port. One of my friends had a Gateway without PS/2, and he had a problem with Windows. So I shut down into DOS mode, and found that I couldn't type anything with the USB keyboard. Having only USB would be a nightmare for tinkerers.
The solution to that is simple - disallow DOS mode. With Longhorn, DOS mode will no longer be possible, correct? That being the case, it makes sense to make a change like this.

Darwin
Jul 27, 2004, 05:54 PM
The solution to that is simple - disallow DOS mode. With Longhorn, DOS mode will no longer be possible, correct? That being the case, it makes sense to make a change like this.

When Longhorn does come out that is yes, they have plenty of time :D

BornAgainMac
Jul 27, 2004, 06:03 PM
I was able to have my Mac keyboard work on a PC in DOS mode with no problems. It must be a BIOS supported thing. Yea, it's time to kill PS/2 and all those other legacy ports with Longhorn. Longhorn will be too slow to run on old hardware anyways.

MoparShaha
Jul 27, 2004, 06:09 PM
I'd love to see them get rid of parallel ports. I hate those things. Seems like I'm always dealing with them at work, and they're so big and difficult to manage.

KingSleaze
Jul 27, 2004, 09:22 PM
Floppy drives. They need to get rid of the floppy drive. Oh wait, Apple did that years ago. Maybe we ought to do that too. :D

musicpyrite
Jul 27, 2004, 09:35 PM
Floppy drives. They need to get rid of the floppy drive. Oh wait, Apple did that years ago. Maybe we ought to do that too. :D

I dissagree! I think floppys are use very useful, in some situations. Like if I wanted to transfer a file from my computer at home to a computer at work/school, I could just spend 30 seconds and put it on a floppy, the only other way to trasnfer a file is to use a CD-R, which takes much longer to burn. And add to the fact that your using a CD only once. (unless a CD-RW)

I'd like to see PS2 and parallel ports go, they're old skool.

And make FireWire 400 and 800 standard!!!

PlaceofDis
Jul 27, 2004, 09:57 PM
I dissagree! I think floppys are use very useful, in some situations. Like if I wanted to transfer a file from my computer at home to a computer at work/school, I could just spend 30 seconds and put it on a floppy, the only other way to trasnfer a file is to use a CD-R, which takes much longer to burn. And add to the fact that your using a CD only once. (unless a CD-RW)

well i think the thumb drives are going to replace floppies, so getting rid of the floppies would be good, because they cant hold all that much but those thumb drives sure can

Abstract
Jul 27, 2004, 10:09 PM
well i think the thumb drives are going to replace floppies, so getting rid of the floppies would be good, because they cant hold all that much but those thumb drives sure can

Yep, the flash drive is your friend. :) Even some of my MS Word files are much larger than 1.4 MB.

Fukui
Jul 27, 2004, 11:41 PM
I wonder if Microsoft, the maker of WIndows, could force changes on the PC hardware industry by not supporting certain hardware in Longhorn? For example, one change I'd like to see in the PC industry is a phase-out of PS/2 for keyboards and mice, replacing it with USB. If MS chooses to leave out PS/2 support in Longhorn (and lets everyone know they're doing it), will PC makers adapt and stop including PS/2 ports, keyboards, and mice on their systems?
Of course they can. So can Intel.
But they don't change things too much that they break compatibility, otherwise competitiors could have a chance and step in and say "Well since your totaly changing everything, why not change to us?"
Thats mostly why things don't get forced to change, well, except for palladium...

justinshiding
Jul 28, 2004, 01:31 AM

I'd like to see PS2 and parallel ports go, they're old skool.

And make FireWire 400 and 800 standard!!!

Agreed, Floppys are quite useful. Hell...I even have a use for parallel ports(old video game controller. )

Though i doubt they'll try to drop ps/2. They're trying to get people to upgrade their systems. It's not an incentive to upgrade if you're going to have to go buy adapters for your ps/2 devices...or new ones alltogether. As to the question of could they....I have no clue.

Although I doubt we'll see firewire standard on pcs for a while...since even usb 2 support isnt across the board yet.

AmigoMac
Jul 28, 2004, 02:38 AM
Floppies are old fashion pieces, get a USB memory stick, I guess some people still sell 32 MB, even 16 MB, gotta love my 512 MB, I password protect what I need if I must give my stick away to a "friend" ... that with USB 2.0 will take less than 10 sec. give it a try, in my company we don't use floppies anymore since the network and those USB memories do the work ;)

wrldwzrd89
Jul 28, 2004, 04:53 AM
Floppies are old fashion pieces, get a USB memory stick, I guess some people still sell 32 MB, even 16 MB, gotta love my 512 MB, I password protect what I need if I must give my stick away to a "friend" ... that with USB 2.0 will take less than 10 sec. give it a try, in my company we don't use floppies anymore since the network and those USB memories do the work ;)
I have a 64MB and 128MB thumb drive - I don't use them too often, but they're far better than floppies. I'd love to have one of those 4GB thumb drives.

AmigoMac
Jul 28, 2004, 05:19 AM
I have a 64MB and 128MB thumb drive - I don't use them too often, but they're far better than floppies. I'd love to have one of those 4GB thumb drives.

Indeed, Is like floppies before USB thumbs, nice but some people don't have use for them too often, depends on what you do... BTW, PC's should take PS/2 and parallel ports off , Long long time ago I had a PC laptop and never used something different than my USB & Firewire ports, but wait that's the way crappy PC manufacturers sell to the average Joe out-there, selling things they will never use but just in case you want to give a try, it will cost you some bucks extra... I have a friend who is really proud of his old PC with ports everywhere and says my mac can't be compatible because it only has those USB/Firewire ports that nobody uses :eek: ... I guess he won't be a good friend ...

wrldwzrd89
Jul 28, 2004, 05:29 AM
Indeed, Is like floppies before USB thumbs, nice but some people don't have use for them too often, depends on what you do... BTW, PC's should take PS/2 and parallel ports off , Long long time ago I had a PC laptop and never used something different than my USB & Firewire ports, but wait that's the way crappy PC manufacturers sell to the average Joe out-there, selling things they will never use but just in case you want to give a try, it will cost you some bucks extra... I have a friend who is really proud of his old PC with ports everywhere and says my mac can't be compatible because it only has those USB/Firewire ports that nobody uses :eek: ... I guess he won't be a good friend ...
1. Don't forget that USB thumb drives are much more reliable than floppies since they have no moving parts. That's my biggest reason for using them instead of floppies (the additional capacity is nice too).
2. USB and FireWire are great technologies - together, they can replace all the old legacy ports (serial, parallel, PS/2, etc. - all of which need to be phased out IMO).
EDIT: I forgot to mention that "analog" LCD technology (LCDs that don't use a digital connector like DVI) needs to go too - I don't see the point of having an LCD if you don't have a digital connection for it (that's why I adore Apple's displays).

jefhatfield
Jul 28, 2004, 07:35 AM

five years ago, it made sense for my pc machines to have parallel and serial ports...but in the last two years it just does not make a lot of sense

some pc types do not use firewire that much but he has to really be in oldtimer's land if he hasn't found a use for usb ports ;)

floppies will eventually give way to thumb drives when the price goes way, way down...floppies do fail from time to time but they are very cheap and not as easy to lose as a thumb drive would be

Littleodie914
Jul 28, 2004, 09:22 AM
I sure hope Longhorn doesn't stray away from the PS/2 connector... I dual-boot XP (for the family) and Red Hat 9 (for me), and upon recompiling my kernel, my USB mouse stopped working. (I probably forgot to include it or something, but whatever.) Had this been a future-longhorn machine, I'd be screwed. I was saved, though, by whipping out my old dusty PS/2 mouse from the drawer, plugging it in, and clicking my way to safety! Shame on Microsoft if they kill PS/2... There aren't serious advantages to USB when we're talking peripherals... Just my 2 cents :D

Littleodie914
Jul 28, 2004, 09:25 AM
Oh yea, and concerning parallel and serial ports... *mafia voice* Fu-get about it... they sleeps with the fishes! :D

baby duck monge
Jul 28, 2004, 09:52 AM
EDIT: I forgot to mention that "analog" LCD technology (LCDs that don't use a digital connector like DVI) needs to go too - I don't see the point of having an LCD if you don't have a digital connection for it (that's why I adore Apple's displays).

how about saving space on a small desk or in a small room? how about having the option to mount it on the wall? how about decreasing eye strain?

wrldwzrd89
Jul 28, 2004, 09:57 AM
how about saving space on a small desk or in a small room? how about having the option to mount it on the wall? how about decreasing eye strain?
Advantages of "analog" LCDs:
- CHEAPER
Disadvantages of "analog" LCDs:
- Image quality isn't so great
Areas where "analog" LCDs and digital LCDs are the same:
- Saving space
- Reducing eyestrain
- Ability to wall-mount

mkaake
Jul 28, 2004, 09:59 AM

i think he meant that lcd manufacturers shouldn't make LCD's w/o the digital connection in them, as opposed to analog... you'd still have the same sized LCD, just hook it up with a different cord... and you'd have a sharper, more clear picture.

wrldwzrd89
Jul 28, 2004, 10:51 AM
i think he meant that lcd manufacturers shouldn't make LCD's w/o the digital connection in them, as opposed to analog... you'd still have the same sized LCD, just hook it up with a different cord... and you'd have a sharper, more clear picture.
Correct - thanks for the clarification, mkaake.