PDA

View Full Version : Using a Mac at school and COMPLETELY lost!

Neserk
Jul 27, 2004, 06:16 PM
I used Mac's when I first used computers in High school (late 80's) and loved them. When it came time to buy my own I had to switch to PC's (no money). I got the hang of those. Now I'm back to using Mac's at school and I feel like I"m in a foreign country!

Any tips for figuring it out or do I just have to play with it until I get the hang of it?

mkrishnan
Jul 27, 2004, 06:30 PM
Any tips for figuring it out or do I just have to play with it until I get the hang of it?

Well...this *is* the best way. ;)

Try this website: http://www.xvsxp.com/

rhpenguin
Jul 27, 2004, 06:32 PM
It takes a wee bit to get used to the GUI, but after that the OS is quite simple to master for day to day tasks.

I bought my iBook when i was training for my MCSE in Win2K and had a hard time switching back and forth between the user interfaces, but after a year of use, im totaly comfortable with OS X!

Doctor Q
Jul 27, 2004, 07:31 PM
Is the Mac you are using running OS X? I know some schools that are still using Mac OS 7.5 and 8 and 9.

With all the helpful people here, one good way to get the hang of it would be to start asking questions about specific tasks you want to do, e.g., set up e-mail, access a file server, add a printer, find a good application for this or that, transfer files from a PC, right-click on an icon when the mouse has no second button, etc.

CMillerERAU
Jul 27, 2004, 07:34 PM
Its too bad people are so scared of using Macs just because they are a little different to operate. Most people on my newspaper staff have never used a mac before (or used a Classic II back in junior high) and are scared to death at first when they see we only have Apple computers. However, 80% end up loving them at the end of the semester and a few have even gone out to get their own. Go figure.

jsw
Jul 27, 2004, 07:52 PM
Mac OS X Panther Killer Tips (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0735713936/002-6276041-1619218) is a great book for just looking at for a minute or two at a time. Fun, cool tips, and no need to read for any period of time, or to read from front to back in order.