Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I think the Touch is the best media device on market, but it can be much better:

I want mine to:
  • Have over 120GB of drive space. Yes, a HDD the iPod Classic has. (SSD would be nice, but still very expensive)
  • Have at least 3 hours battery life with above HDD (2x if SSD).
  • FireWire 800 to quickly transfer that 100GB of movie files, 4x faster and almost 2x the power feed then USB2.
  • Microphone, with built in recording ability.

Yes, it will be thicker and heavier, but not grossly so, but I can nearly have my entire home entertainment system in a palm sized device.

Selling it for $500?
I have it right here, Apple Inc.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
The Firewire cable seems unnecessary as you will only logically transfer the 100GB's once.

Keep dreaming, flash memory is here to stay.

Transfer only once?
What makes you assume that?

I will not keep the same movies. They will change more often then my songs, and each will be at least 1 GB.
Thats the difference from 4 min with USB2 or 30 seconds with FW800 (real results on same drive, same file, different connection)

And you miss the point about flash.
Flash is too expensive, and will be for at least 2 years.
By then I want 500GB capacity.

timinbovey

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
I guess where the rest of us chime in with our "ultimate" ipod ideas?

I'm easy to please:

At least 120 GB storage.
Built in camera minimum 5 MP, video would be nice, too. Camera should have some flash capability.
Built in decent quality mic for recording
Built in speaker that sounds at least as good as the one in my cell phone (a Sony Ericsson w580i). The speaker in them now is nice to have for playing video games when you don't need much volume, or are just playing a quick game etc and don't want/need ear buds in. And it's nice to have for checking on things quickly, but is basically unlistenable.

For me, then the ipod would be perfect.

Tim in Bovey

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.