PDA

View Full Version : DJ Software

jethomas
Nov 9, 2009, 02:41 PM
I am looking for free/cheap software to play music at parties. Not a professional level, just something that sounds nicer than an iTunes/iPod playlist. Thats all I really need, a playlist that seamlessly moves from one track to the next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

pkoch1
Nov 9, 2009, 04:47 PM
I am looking for free/cheap software to play music at parties. Not a professional level, just something that sounds nicer than an iTunes/iPod playlist. Thats all I really need, a playlist that seamlessly moves from one track to the next. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

What is it that you need that iTunes cannot do? You can set a crossfade between songs so it transitions seamlessly.

jethomas
Nov 10, 2009, 06:32 AM
What is it that you need that iTunes cannot do? You can set a crossfade between songs so it transitions seamlessly.

The crossfade seems, to me, to be a sloppy solution, in that it is always the same amount of crossfade, and some songs need buffer. In addition to that, when skipping songs in iTunes, the crossfade doesn't function. (Unless my newblyness is kicking in at this point.)

ChrisA
Nov 10, 2009, 10:04 AM
The crossfade seems, to me, to be a sloppy solution, in that it is always the same amount of crossfade, and some songs need buffer. In addition to that, when skipping songs in iTunes, the crossfade doesn't function. (Unless my newblyness is kicking in at this point.)

Do you want this software to run by itself like a iTunes playlist or is this for a live DJ to use. I don't see how you can control the length and placment of a crossfade without a live person listening with headphones. If you want a live person then you need some physical controls and if you want to pre-record then what you are doing is not "DJing" but "Mixing". For the later Garage Band would work.

psj
Nov 11, 2009, 12:36 AM
Try Ask the Dj from wildbits and if you have airport express, airfoil. These two will make a portable dj booth from anywhere in your place.