Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA

Attachments

• 62873main_pia05423-232-232.jpg
    62873main_pia05423-232-232.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,615

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I agree that it does have the look of the "Death Star." Lucky for us it's a Moon of Saturn. Cassini has really produced some awesome pictures in space.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
For comparison, here's the "real" one....

Attachments

• DeathStar.jpg
    DeathStar.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,476

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I would have loved to see that crater in the making.....

Also makes you wonder what's out there that we haven't even seen yet.

D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mr. Anderson said:
I would have loved to see that crater in the making.....

It's so large in comparison to the moon that it's a wonder the moon is in one piece.... The crater is 80 miles across, and the moon has a diameter of only 247 miles. That would be the equivalent of a crater...what...maybe 2600 miles wide here? And ~200 miles deep? Man....

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I've known about Mimis for about 10 years... the satellite was nearly destroyed from the impact of the cause of the crater, because the ratio of the crater to the planet is so large. Anything probably 5 miles wider and Mimis would not have survived.

And there will be plenty more similar moons to discover within the following decade, as I doubt we've covered all of Jupiter's/Saturn's moons just yet.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
wdlove said:
I agree that it does have the look of the "Death Star." Lucky for us it's a Moon of Saturn.

You just keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. But don't come crying to me when there's no more tin foil hats.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
SilentPanda said:
You just keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. But don't come crying to me when there's no more tin foil hats.

Does anyone know where I could find some tin foil? All I can get anymore is aluminum foil, and it doesn't work. I can still hear their voices in my head. I suspect that I need real tin.

Also, as far as the actual hat is concerned, I've been making sort of a foil skull cap first, then a cone like I've seen on so many shows. Are they interfering with each other? Is one better than the other? Any help would be appreciated. I feel better when I sit in front of my Mac. Does the G5 interfere with their mind control technology?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
OoooOOOoooooOOooo an UFSOXWC (Unidentified Flying Space Object with an X-Wing Configuration). Hopefully it's destroying Geroge Bush's flying campaign headquarters..

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
jsw said:
Does anyone know where I could find some tin foil? All I can get anymore is aluminum foil, and it doesn't work. I can still hear their voices in my head. I suspect that I need real tin.

Also, as far as the actual hat is concerned, I've been making sort of a foil skull cap first, then a cone like I've seen on so many shows. Are they interfering with each other? Is one better than the other? Any help would be appreciated. I feel better when I sit in front of my Mac. Does the G5 interfere with their mind control technology?

Hm...I don't know, the tin foil thing didn't seem to work too well in Signs, but I'm assuming the were probably using aluminum foil too. Maybe if you just hold your G5 in front of you like a cross, the sheer amount of aluminum will take effect :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.