Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
I have movies (ex. trilogy's)that I like to keep together inside a folder under a single movie heading, but the extras and supplemental material does not sit inside the menus very well.

Is there any workaround that allows this material to reside in a more presentable manner?

how does the new LP material work, as i have not purchased anything that has this capability yet.

any good solutions or tips how to format this material as to give the best user experience?

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Yes its possible using MetaX (at least under windows, but should work on Mac as well)

Say you want to group the first 3 Star Wars movies together then do the following:-

For Episode 1 The Phantom Menace, tag it and set the title field to something like Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace, Now the trick is under TV Tags set the show to Star Wars and under the sorting tags set the sort name to Star wars 1.

For Episode 2 Attack of the Clones, tag it and set the title field to something like Episode 2 - Attack of the Clones, Now the trick is under TV Tags set the show to Star Wars and under the sorting tags set the sort name to Star wars 2.

Do this for all the films you want to group together, making sure the TV Show name is the same for all of them. The sort name is just to make sure they are listed in the right order.

I know it sound daft using the TV Show name field for movies but it works perfectly. You wont see any change in iTunes but on your ATV when you goto Movies you will have a single entry for Star Wars and when you select it you will then see each movie listed seperatly.

I have quite a few trilogys on my ATV using this method and it works perfectly.

A quick note you could also do it just by editing the info in iTunes with out using MetaX but the changes wont be saved into the video files like with MetaX so if ever you need to rebuild your library you'd need to enter it again. Just use get info in itunes and set the Programme field under the Video tab to the same name for each movie you want to group together.

below sea level

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Brilliant! I never thought of that. I've just gone through and added a show name to anything with a sequel. That should make it slightly quicker to scroll through that long list.

TonD

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
Europe
Brilliant! I never thought of that. I've just gone through and added a show name to anything with a sequel. That should make it slightly quicker to scroll through that long list.

@Below sea level: you are from Holland too :D ?

Anyway... yes I agree, brilliant. Thanks, I just did the same last night, grouping my X-Men, Pirates of the Caribbean etc. I even grouped the "nature" films :p

rotarypower101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Portland Oregon
Maybe I didn't explain myself thoroughly enough, by double nesting I mean to place movies such as trilogies inside a folder on the TV, using you example, “Star Wars” as a single heading in the “My Movies” tab as the first nesting folder. Now going a new layer inside the first “Star Wars” Folder and having the second nesting folder contain each of the respective extras inside the first “Star Wars” folder.

So to get to extras for “A New Hope”:
My Movies > Star Wars > A New Hope > “A New Hope” Extras

Unless I am not reading your post correctly, this only “bonds” the movies included in the a set/trilogy into a single folder, and does not partition out extras and supplemental material that clutters up the menu into a separate folder contained within the first?

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Sorry I misunderstood your post, I can't think of a way to do what your asking. I think the fact you can use the TV Show field to group together movies is quite lucky and probably not what Apple intended it to do, so nesting folders two deep is I would imagine beyond what the current tags are capable of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.