PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Screen

neffedo
Jul 27, 2004, 09:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone has had this problem:
I have a 15" powerbook (aluminum) and the lid is warped or something. When I shut it, one side stays higher than the other and doesn't touch the rest of the system. When I do push it down, it doesn't stay. I've tried to put some weight on that end to even it out, but that didn't work either. If anyone else has had this problem, is there a solution or way that I could fix it?

Capt Underpants
Jul 27, 2004, 09:35 PM
I have a 15" powerbook (aluminum) and the lid is warped or something. When I shut it, one side stays higher than the other and doesn't touch the rest of the system. When I do push it down, it doesn't stay. I've tried to put some weight on that end to even it out, but that didn't work either. If anyone else has had this problem, is there a solution or way that I could fix it?

I don't have this problem with my 12" powerbook. I do know, however, that some people on this forum have had/are having the same problem. If you contacted Apple, I'm sure they would say that it was normal. Their excuse is that it keeps the screen from getting scratched by the keyboard, or so I have heard. If I were you, I'd give them a call just to see what they say. In all likelihood, they won't do anything, but you never know.

newguy
Jul 27, 2004, 10:23 PM
I hear a bouta similar problem with the 12" where the base gets a bit warped and won't sit right on a table. Hear anything about this?

Counterfit
Jul 27, 2004, 11:47 PM
I have a 15" powerbook (aluminum) and the lid is warped or something. When I shut it, one side stays higher than the other and doesn't touch the rest of the system. When I do push it down, it doesn't stay. I've tried to put some weight on that end to even it out, but that didn't work either. If anyone else has had this problem, is there a solution or way that I could fix it? It's there by design. It comes partly from having one rather narrow latch to hold a rather wide lid in place (for the unevenness). The other part of it, causing any of it to be away from the base, is the length of the latch, letting the springiness (however they get it to do that) hold the screen away from the keyboard. Another part is the aluminum flexes a leetle bit, contributing to the unevenness (sure they could stop that, but it would add a nearly significant amount of extra weight and thickness)

Capt Underpants
Jul 28, 2004, 07:06 AM
I hear a bouta similar problem with the 12" where the base gets a bit warped and won't sit right on a table. Hear anything about this?

Yes, this seems to be a problem with some 12" PB's. This is considered a problem to Apple, unlike the uneven LCD display. Luckily for me that I don't have this problem...

hype.it
Aug 17, 2004, 03:11 PM
Hi there. I recently took my machine for a check up regarding the doggie keyboard... they replace it with a brand new one! Then I made them aware of this problem, the lid seems warped or concave; they said bring it back when you have time and we'll try sort it out for you.

I own a PowerBook 15, in the pass 20 years, i've been a royle customer, spent so much money with them... Owned everything from Macintosh SE's to PowerMac G5's inc the latest Xserve G5. And when their engineer said "we'll try sort it out for you." Makes me kinda proud that I own a Apple system.

:D

Abstract
Aug 17, 2004, 06:01 PM
Well my 12" PB lid is warped, but personally I haven't noticed this "problem" until you reminded me of it. It doesn't sit flush with the rest of the system when I close the lid. One side touches the system, while the other side sits in the air a bit.
I haven't been able to afford to let go of my laptop since I'm a student and all, so I haven't done anything about it. Maybe I should and get a new one? :p

@Hype.it: Where did you take your PB? I have an Apple Centre where I live, but no official Apple store since I live in Oz right now. I've never had to take my PB in, so not knowing has never been an issue. ;) Did you just take it in to any Apple reseller in HK?

AliensAreFuzzy
Aug 17, 2004, 06:26 PM
Try putting some weight on it after you've been running some processor intensive tasks and the powerbook is warm. When it's warm the alluminum is slightly more plyable, and then if the weight is there until it cools off maybe it will be more even

7on
Aug 17, 2004, 06:30 PM
personally my idea of lid closing to remedy this would be latches on the top two corners of the display instead of dead center.

Abstract
Aug 17, 2004, 07:21 PM
Well its a good idea, but the latch blends so well in the centre that if they were to make 2 separate latches below the palm rests, they'd be very visible and ruin the look. I guess appearance is more important than functionality in the customers eyes most of the time. :o

jamdr
Aug 17, 2004, 07:37 PM
I've seen this issue with many PowerBooks (12" and 15") as well as some iBooks. It's normal and if it doesn't interfere with the operation of the PowerBook and doesn't look too bad, I'd just live with it. If it's an extreme case and is very noticeable, you may want to call Apple or take it in to be looked at by a genius.

Counterfit
Aug 17, 2004, 08:59 PM
Try putting some weight on it after you've been running some processor intensive tasks and the powerbook is warm. When it's warm the alluminum is slightly more plyable, and then if the weight is there until it cools off maybe it will be more even Uh, that won't work man. Unless you can get your G4 to several hundred degrees ;)

shecky
Aug 17, 2004, 09:07 PM
radtech wildeepz (http://www.radtech.us/Products/Wildeepz.aspx)

Capt Underpants
Aug 17, 2004, 09:14 PM

That's a pretty sweet product! Nice find, shecky...

timsq
Aug 17, 2004, 10:44 PM
on both sides so it looks like the end come up from the middle. Upon futher inspection, it seems that the back of the display is hollow and hence is given to warping easily. The screen is not affected and as long as it closes reasonably, I will kinda overlook it. It still bugs me sometimes. I wonder if it will get worse? Now I can't sleep. Doh!

yinyang
Aug 17, 2004, 11:20 PM
neffedo,

i have the same 'problem' with my pBook 15, and the screen also doesn't sit exactly evenly (vertically) when shut. at first i thought it was normal and the fact that it didn't quite close completely meant that i did have to get the powersleevz from radtech LOL!!

but i made the mistake of checking a display pBook at a local apple centre, and also noticed another customer's and they close properly. i mentioned it to the guys there and they just told me to bring it in and they'll swap it out, so i assume it's not that unheard of. i just got to decide which days i want to be without my pBook :eek:

ignorance is bliss...!

jmsait19
Aug 18, 2004, 12:54 AM
I have that problem too. I figure I'll mention it when i get my screen replaced because i have the white spot problem that plagued the early aluminum powerbooks.

Concerning the one center latch. I believe the Ti powerbooks had one center latch and those are fine.

Just question but does anyone thing the TiBooks looked better?? I like how the screen hinge is on top instead of in the back. It allowed a larger range of movement. I think i mainly like the way the screen was designed with the computer more on the TiBooks

Counterfit
Aug 18, 2004, 01:23 AM
on both sides so it looks like the end come up from the middle. Upon futher inspection, it seems that the back of the display is hollow and hence is given to warping easily. The screen is not affected and as long as it closes reasonably, I will kinda overlook it. It still bugs me sometimes. I wonder if it will get worse? Now I can't sleep. Doh! The back of the display has padding, which can be seen here (http://www.applefritter.com/node/view/573) on a G3 PB. That part was one of the culprits of the whole white spot problem.

mojo2go
Aug 18, 2004, 02:24 PM

Wow. I think this pretty much solves the problem as described. :rolleyes: Cool find, Shecky.