Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkschr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
I need help from someone please. I just placed and airport card in my ibook g3. I am running os 10.2.8. I am using a linksys wrt54g router.

I turn on the airport. Then I attempt to connect to the name of our network and type in our password. I end up getting a message stating that the password entered in not correct for the selected airport network.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
You should make sure the encryption your router is running is compatible with the older Airport card. If it's not an Airport Extreme, it may not support WPA/WPA2 (not positive). If you're running WEP type encryption, try putting a $ sign either before or after the password and see if that helps.

parkschr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
Help setting up an airport card in ibook g3

I tried the $ thing and it did not work. The encryption thing I don't know anything about.

I bought this airport card for my laptop because it was the one apple recommended for my ibook g3.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

You should make sure the encryption your router is running is compatible with the older Airport card. If it's not an Airport Extreme, it may not support WPA/WPA2 (not positive). If you're running WEP type encryption, try putting a $ sign either before or after the password and see if that helps.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I believe you need Panther 10.3 or Tiger 10.4 to connect to anything other than WEP encryption. Try updating to either of the newer OS. You can also try to disable any lock on your network to confirm that the iBook will connect to it in the first place.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
I tried the $ thing and it did not work. The encryption thing I don't know anything about.

I bought this airport card for my laptop because it was the one apple recommended for my ibook g3.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

You'll need to log in to your router and go to the wireless security options and see what encryption scheme you're using. If you have newer computers on the network I wouldn't advise turning down the security to use the G3 iBook. I'd suggest getting a length of Ethernet cable instead, but then again maybe I'm just mildly paranoid about my network security.

parkschr

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Dayton, OH
Help setting up an airport card in ibook g3

Nothing seems to work. According to Apple I don't think I can make this happen without upgrading to 10.3:

Summary

A Macintosh with an AirPort Card cannot join a Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) network when using earlier software. Learn the requirements for joining a WPA network.

If you don't have the software required to join a WPA network with an AirPort Card, then the password entry dialog appears when you select the AirPort network, and your attempt to join will fail. You see this message:

"The password you entered is not correct for the AirPort network <network_name>."
Products Affected

AirPort Extreme Card, AirPort Card

Requirements for WPA

To join a WPA network, a Macintosh computer must have:

* an AirPort or AirPort Extreme card (see Note)
* Mac OS X 10.3 or later
* AirPort software version 3.3 or later for the AirPort Card (available via Software Update)
* AirPort software version 3.2 or later for the AirPort Extreme Card (available via Software Update)

I am screwed. I am not paying some huge amount to get 10.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.