Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
Hello,

My SuperDrive is repeatedly failing to burn DVDs, i went to get a new one for my mbp but after 3 weeks same problem came.

I'm thinking to ask for a replacement but which specs should i get? I have the late 2008 15" 2.4Ghz with 2 GPUs and 250 HDD

Thanks

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Late 2008 2.4 sounds like the base model with the 9600M? In that case, I'd expect the 2.66GHz model.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
YAY, I'm so happy, now I can show my father why I got a Mac :D

Edit: thanks for quick replay :)

There is no guarantee that they will replace it. I don't think that's a strong argument:
I bought x, because when it breaks they replace it with newer x

One could logically assume, either:
A. Company Z fixes the problem that caused x to break
B. The problem that caused x to break, will persist on newer x

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
There is no guarantee that they will replace it. I don't think that's a strong argument:
I bought x, because when it breaks they replace it with newer x

One could logically assume, either:
A. Company Z fixes the problem that caused x to break
B. The problem that caused x to break, will persist on newer x

Agreed. Also, just because OP had the late-2008 with the 9400M/9600M GT, doesn't mean he would get the current model that has the two GPU's. OP could easily just get the base model with just the 9400M. Is it right? It's arguable but it wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

thomas998

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Agreed. Also, just because OP had the late-2008 with the 9400M/9600M GT, doesn't mean he would get the current model that has the two GPU's. OP could easily just get the base model with just the 9400M. Is it right? It's arguable but it wouldn't be the first time it has happened.

A replacement would be with a machine that has the same or better specs than the one it is replacing... if you had a machine with dual graphics cards you would expect to get one with dual cards... I would expect a 2.66 as it is the closet match... Though I might argue depending on what you use the machine for that in some cases you should be given the 17 inch because some people need and use the expresscard slot that no longer exists on the 15, instead you get a pointless sd slot.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
I'm not sure you should expect a replacement.

The policy is usually 3 repairs first, then if it still fails to work, they replace it.

You need to wait until strike 4 though.

smknSRT8

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Don't start worrying about what computer they might give you, worry about that when they say they are giving you another one. Don't get greedy.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Usually it takes at least 4 return issues for the same problem, and a polite yet firm, insistence that the problem be resolved before you leave the store again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.