PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish/Koi Ponds

Durandal7
Jul 27, 2004, 10:55 PM
I am installing a small pond in my yard (~150 Gallons) and intend put 4-6 goldfish in it. Does anyone have any useful tips on maintaining ponds with fish? Maybe some useful experiences with them?

letterbox
Jul 27, 2004, 11:39 PM
I don't have personal experience, but I can tell you what I know from my partners parents who do have a pond.

Be aware of any fish eating birds in your area if it supports this kind of wildlife, i.e., blue herons, cranes, etc.

Likewise, be aware of any cats or other animals of that sort.

If it gets cold during the year, make sure you have a heater for the pond, and even consider bringing the fish inside for the cooler months.

Some greenery goes along way to make the pond appear more natural and be more of a nice sighte and not an eyesore.

Be able to repair it if it starts to leak, this can be a potentially dangerous thing if the plastic tub freezes and cracks.

_
That's all I can think of, hope it helps.

Durandal7
Jul 28, 2004, 12:06 AM
I don't have personal experience, but I can tell you what I know from my partners parents who do have a pond.

Be aware of any fish eating birds in your area if it supports this kind of wildlife, i.e., blue herons, cranes, etc.

Likewise, be aware of any cats or other animals of that sort.

If it gets cold during the year, make sure you have a heater for the pond, and even consider bringing the fish inside for the cooler months.

Some greenery goes along way to make the pond appear more natural and be more of a nice sighte and not an eyesore.

Be able to repair it if it starts to leak, this can be a potentially dangerous thing if the plastic tub freezes and cracks.

_
That's all I can think of, hope it helps.

No large birds around here and most of the cats are too lazy to hop in the water.

My plan is to stick the fish in a giant plastic container in my basement during the winter.

I'll post pictures when I get it finished.

Aeolius
Jul 28, 2004, 05:52 AM
I plan on building a koi pond as well, within a year's time. I'm going the other route, though; I'll be digging the pond 4'-6' deep with steep sides, to winter the fish in the pond during colder months and discourage raccoons. Plus I'd like a pond big enough to "swim with the fishes". ;)

acceber
Jul 28, 2004, 06:43 AM
I'm not exactly sure what this koi pond is but my friend had a pond in her backyard and I would suggest putting a wire net over it, depending of course how big it is and what structures you're going to have on or around it. It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but birds, cats, falling branches or something could very well be an issue.

Ugg
Jul 28, 2004, 11:39 AM
1. Be sure the pond is shaded, fish can't live in hot water and there's nothing worse than the sight and smell of boiled fish. Also, too much sun can increase the amount of algae in the pond. Water lilies are one way to provide shade for the fish although they're not enough to keep the water temp from increasing to deadly levels. The deeper the pond, the less likely it is to overheat.

2. Aeration is a good way of keeping the pond clean, a small pump is a good idea. Also look into bio filters. They are available wherever pond supplies are sold.

3. Raccoons love ponds and the fish that swim in them.

4. There are a lot of water plants available that provide fish a place to hide from predators, shade and oxygen. Find a good nursery in your area with a staff that is familiar with waterplants.

5. If you use chlorinated tap water to fill the pond, let it sit for a few days before you put the fish in.

6. Enjoy!

strider42
Jul 28, 2004, 03:06 PM
I am installing a small pond in my yard (~150 Gallons) and intend put 4-6 goldfish in it. Does anyone have any useful tips on maintaining ponds with fish? Maybe some useful experiences with them?

If you're going to buy filters/pumps/chemicals/heaters, etc, then I recommend checking out http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ I've found equipment there sometimes as much as 50% cheaper than at the local shops.

JesseJames
Jul 28, 2004, 03:24 PM
Don't pee in the water.

seamuskrat
Jul 28, 2004, 06:35 PM
Garden ponds are a lot of fun.

4 to 6 goldfish is a lot for a pond your size. Goldfish grow rather large in a short period of time and produce a lot of waste.

The basics are outlined below:
YOu need aeration. Via a pump or air system,
It needs to be 36 inches deep to allow over wintering of fish in cold climates.
Birds, cats, raccoons, possums, WILL get your fish and plants. There are no lazy animals. YOu can mitigate this by planning well.
With 150 gallons, you will have an algae issue in summer with direct sun, and a heat issue as well. Be sure to have water pump/filter.

Message me with more details and I can help further.

Do a search for "goldfish" and "garden Ponds" there are MANY great sites for this.

bbarnhart
Jul 28, 2004, 09:40 PM
I had a 5000 gallon pond at my old house and it was a lot of fun. There are several things to consider:

1. Heat - 150 gallons is not that big so you will need some shade for your fishes.

2. Critters - I never had any problems, but I had a lot of goldfish and a few large koi. If I lost some to animals, I never noticed. Prepare yourself for the occasional loss.

3. Oxygen - Your fish need some kind of aeration, especially with that small pond.

4. Filter - The pond will fill with harmful material that needs to be cleaned out, again especially with that small pond (biological filter). Also, dirt, algae and other particles will make your pond "dirty" (mechanical filter).

Search the Internet; there are plenty of good resources with information.

Stelliform
Jul 28, 2004, 09:49 PM

Durandal7
Jul 28, 2004, 11:10 PM
I read somewhere that Goldfish can survive even under ice. My dad has a backyard pond. It has gone wild. He has lost count of the number of fish he has since the goldfish all had baby fish. In South Louisiana we don't have to worry about the winter. (Besides we don't have basements to put the fish in during the winter. ;) )

Goldfish can survive under ice. The problem is that winters around here have been known to drop well into 10-below-zero territory. I am %99 sure it will freeze solid and kill all the fish if thery're in there. Colorado winters are a little different than Louisiana winters ;)