PDA

View Full Version : a powermac that ran win 95 and mac os??

question fear
Jul 27, 2004, 11:22 PM
I was in a local used computer shop today, and i noticed they had a powermac listed there and the note said "get the best of both worlds, runs win 95 and mac os!"
how is this possible? is it a virtual pc thing or was there once a version of win 95 for ppc? I am confused and curious, but the woman in the store seemed pretty computer illiterate for a store owner (i think her husband/business partner knew more, she was just the sales person), so i didnt really want to get involved in quizzing her on it.
-carly

vniow
Jul 27, 2004, 11:28 PM
I'm guessing VPC although there was a version of Windows NT that ran on PPC processors, lemme se if I can link ya...

LeeTom
Jul 27, 2004, 11:36 PM
Am I crazy, or do I remember a Mac that had like 2 motherboards in it, and you could switch back and forth between PC and Mac?

Lee Tom

vniow
Jul 27, 2004, 11:37 PM
...and a version of Windows NT for PowerPC. (Very few people knew that NT for PPC existed. Even fewer used it.)

http://zhaofu.4y.com.cn/myweb/linux/run/appd_01.htm

vniow
Jul 27, 2004, 11:40 PM
Am I crazy, or do I remember a Mac that had like 2 motherboards in it, and you could switch back and forth between PC and Mac?

Lee Tom

Not crazy, although the people who built it are a likely candidate.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&q=techtv+mac/pc&spell=1

jsw
Jul 27, 2004, 11:43 PM
OrangeMicro used to make PC boards (http://www.macworld.com/1999/03/reviews/orangepc/) that ran inside the Mac, allowing you to run Windows (non-emulated) or any other PC OS.

I vaguely recall Apple actually selling a Mac that did this (essentially, one that had an OrangeMicro or similar card built-in), but that might just be a phantom memory.

Duff-Man
Jul 27, 2004, 11:45 PM
Duff-Man says...the old Apple DOS Compatibility card (http://mail.apple.com.pl/download/_PDFLibrary/Peryferia_i_karty/PCCompCard166.pdf) ....or as jsw says...Orange Micro made a similar card as well....oh yeah!

jsw
Jul 27, 2004, 11:50 PM
Duff-Man says...the old Apple DOS Compatibility card (http://mail.apple.com.pl/download/_PDFLibrary/Peryferia_i_karty/PCCompCard166.pdf) ....oh yeah!

Thanks, Duff-Man - that's the card that was dwelling in the recesses of my memory!

Apple Hobo
Jul 27, 2004, 11:50 PM
It was most likely the Power Macintosh 7200/120, which had a Pentium processor card that went into a PCI slot.

Here's an original commercial for the 7200/120. (http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/AppleMovies/mov/which.html)

And there's always Google for more info. :cool:

jsw
Jul 27, 2004, 11:54 PM
This line of conversation has reminded me how desperate Apple used to be. "Please buy our systems. Please. We'll even let you run a competing OS on them. I mean, we'll provide competing hardware to run that competing OS as well. Please, just give the Mac a try."

Thank God we have OS X now. Probably even less market share. ;) But at least Apple isn't doing stuff like this anymore.

That said, it was a pretty cool idea. If I could buy a relatively cheap PC PCI card and use it in my G5, I just might....

Bluefusion
Jul 28, 2004, 12:00 AM
It wasn't a PowerMac, but I seem to remember the machine itself being known as the "Quadra 610 DOS Compatible". You literally hit a keyboard command (I think it was Command-Tab, weirdly enough), and DOS came up. It had some card built in, like others have said.

18thTomorrow
Jul 28, 2004, 12:07 AM
Interesting thread. Interesting idea--two motherboards in one machine. I kind of like it...if cost were no object I'd love to do something like this to my G3.

Little Endian
Jul 28, 2004, 01:36 AM
There were several models that Apple shiped that included X86 compatability cards. Quadra 610, 630, Performa and LC equivalents had an Intel 486SX or 486DXII option @25-66Mhz respectively that could be plugged into the PDS slot. Some machines shipped so equipped or could could be added later. The PowerMac 4400 also had a PC Compatbile version that shipped with a Cyrix 166Mhz 686 proccessor. Other models that had PC compatbility options were the Power Mac 6100 and 7200 series whiche were equiped with 100Mhz Pentium cards. In addition to that Apple sold an add on aftermarket card of the 166Mhz Pentium that could be added into any PCI Power Macintosh. Orange Micro also sold aftermarket Cards.

To bad they did'nt keep it up. I think PC compatbility cards could still sell had they kept up with the upgrage Cards.

question fear
Jul 28, 2004, 07:19 AM
It was most likely the Power Macintosh 7200/120, which had a Pentium processor card that went into a PCI slot.

Here's an original commercial for the 7200/120. (http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/AppleMovies/mov/which.html)

And there's always Google for more info. :cool:

yes! it was that one i saw. you guys rock. I thought i'd lost my mind, or my fave little computer shop had, or something.

wadetemp
Jul 28, 2004, 07:51 AM
There were several models that Apple shiped that included X86 compatability cards. Quadra 610, 630, Performa and LC equivalents had an Intel 486SX or 486DXII option @25-66Mhz respectively that could be plugged into the PDS slot. Some machines shipped so equipped or could could be added later. The PowerMac 4400 also had a PC Compatbile version that shipped with a Cyrix 166Mhz 686 proccessor. Other models that had PC compatbility options were the Power Mac 6100 and 7200 series whiche were equiped with 100Mhz Pentium cards. In addition to that Apple sold an add on aftermarket card of the 166Mhz Pentium that could be added into any PCI Power Macintosh. Orange Micro also sold aftermarket Cards.

The 6100 "DOS Compatible" had the 66mhz 486DX2, not a Pentium. I think you're right about the 7200 though.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 28, 2004, 08:11 AM
I have previously owned a Performa 640 CD DOS. We were able to dual-boot into Mac OS and Windows 95.

Crikey
Aug 7, 2004, 05:37 AM
Back in the day, there was an aftermarket PC-on-a-card that ran in Commodore Amigas (the larger ones, with Zorro slots). There was also an aftermarket Mac-compatible card (you had to populate it with ROM chips from a real Mac before it would work). One of the wierdest things I ever saw was some guy running OS/2 and MacOS 8.x (7.x?) simultaneously in windows on his Amiga Workbench desktop.

I checked out one of the early Power Macs that had the PC Compatibility Card installed, because I was interested in both platforms at that time. I wasn't impressed with the performance; running all the I/O through emulation on the Mac system seemed to slow down the PC card. I concluded that the best thing was to buy a Mac and use it as a Mac, and buy a PC and use it as a PC. The cost was about the same.

Crikey

BornAgainMac
Aug 7, 2004, 06:46 AM
Win 95 isn't the best of that other world.

Anarchy99
Aug 7, 2004, 10:30 AM
now it isnt the best of that other world

billyboy
Aug 7, 2004, 11:03 AM
I have virtual pc 2.1 with windows 95 on a 9.2 partition. It was the cheapest way I could get to run Office 2000 on my PB, and it works pretty fast too.

SpaceMagic
Aug 7, 2004, 11:24 AM
Billyboy... why dont you just buy Office for the Mac?

cluthz
Aug 7, 2004, 12:12 PM
I still have both a DOS compatibility card for a PM 6100 and the newer Pentuim 166mhz.

The Pentuim 166 is made by apple, it features a Pentium 166mhz NON mmx, with 256k L2 Cache and 16 mb built in ram.
It also has a 5v 168 PIN ram expansion slot, built in Ati Mach64 mb video with 2mb and Soundblaster 16 output..

MIne has 32 mb extra memory (brings it up to 48 mb) and it ram Window 95 very well back in the days! I think its back in 1997 i used it and then it was great. It would probably also run win 98 decent too.

Mac OS 7.5.3 came bundeled with it, not sure if its compatible with OS8 and 9.

Here's a pic:
http://home.no.net/tbruvold/pcard/pccard.jpg

-tb

neoelectronaut
Aug 7, 2004, 05:14 PM
Wow, and folks thought the new 6800U card for the Mac was big.

billyboy
Aug 8, 2004, 03:31 AM
Billyboy... why dont you just buy Office for the Mac?

Because I have the windows office software and a copy of vpc for dinosaurs, but I dont have 116 for the Mac software. It seems the most cost effective way for me right now to open the occasional doc document that OpenOffice wont do correctly.