PDA

View Full Version : Using Mainstage Live

Lycanthrope
Nov 10, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hi folks

I'm looking to switch from an old Roland synth to using Mainstage for gigs - mostly because of the more up to date and wider range of sounds, not to mention the layering possibilities and easy keyboard splits etc.

Question I have is other than using mouse or the up and down arrow keys, are there other ways of switching between patches, for instance using a foot pedal?

I have an M-Audio USB keyboard but no pedal yet and could imagine that an assignable USB pedal connected directly to the Mac could be more adaptable than one connected to the M-audio via 1/4" jack.

Cheers
Dave

deej999
Nov 10, 2009, 05:18 PM
You can assign buttons and faders on your MIDI Controller or MIDI Keyboard to almost anything in Mainstage. I use buttons on my keyboard to switch patches and a different ones to switch Sets. Works really well.

I have not used a footswitch. My guess is that it will work.

I started watching this tutorial on Mainstage 2 and it is very helpful.
http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorials/mainstage

Mainstage 2 is a great bit of software. It blew my mind when I saw some of the tutorial and what is possible. Still find one or two small bugs, but so far so good.

deej

Lycanthrope
Nov 11, 2009, 01:35 AM
Cheers mate, in fact that's answered my question - I can by a simple foot-pedal and then assign the spare buttons on the controller for the patch changes, no need to mess on the computer. Great!

I'm just discovering this program the last days, it looks like pure gold, really nice :-) Seems really good for guitarists too, you could have 1000 different amp and effects settings for a set which is really flexible and easy to program.

deej999
Nov 12, 2009, 06:37 AM
Me too. The more I use it the more I love it.