Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
okay.. well I just want some opinions on what you would do

choice #1 is a refurbished 15" antiglare from apple.com for $1593 after tax (free shipping). specs are:
* 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 4GB (2x2GB) RAM
* 250GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
* SuperDrive
* nVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256MB Graphics
* 15.4" Antiglare Widescreen LED Backlit Display
* Secure Digital (SD) Card Slot
* Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, 5.5 lb

choice #2 is a brand new 15" antiglare from bhphotovideo.com for $1748 (same specs as above + no tax + free shipping + free parallels desktop 5.0)

I'm leaning towards the new one because well, it's new and it has parallels 5.0 included for free. so when you figure in the price of parallels (about $70), I'm only paying about $75 more for the new one. Is parallels desktop worth having? I plan on using bootcamp to run windows, so does this software just allow me to run windows and osx side by side? for those that have used it, does it work well?

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I agree with the B&H purchase. Plus, you can't go wrong ordering from them just like Apple they're quite reputable. I got my macbook through them and have also bought $1,000's worth of camera gear over the past 5 years.

My Parallels (version 4) has been flawless for me. I run both XP and Win7 each in their own virtual drive. I also have Win7 running via bootcamp. No problems running all my printers, scanners & mice. (But my bluetooth mouse doesn't work in bootcamp - waiting on updated drivers from Apple for this). Also, My macbook is a 2.4ghz whitebook with the crappy GPU and I can't use the Aero theme running this version of Parallels. I think version 5 would fix that though. (Although Aero works in bootcamp).

The alternative to Parallels is VMware Fusion which is good too. There are so many ways to run Windows on a mac you can't go wrong these days.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
thanks, I just need some reassurance because I've been debating this mac vs windows thing for a long time (like 2 years, way before the uni's came out)... my ibook is completely dead for good now, I tried to suck every little bit of life out of it that I could but it's gone now forever unless I spend near a grand to fix it.. my ibook doesn't even have a power button, so I cut a hole in the top case and have to use a screwdriver or something conductive to jump start it.

anyways... I really only need windows for 1 program so I figure a mac using boot camp will suffice. I'll order that one from b&h this weekend or early next week because I'll take advantage of that parallels 5 software..
I was upset about the sd card taking over the express card slot, but I figure I'll just use the sd cards as a storage device to backup important data, that's the only way I can really take advantage of them as my current camera uses cf cards. Now I only worry about the update happening early next year but if it's that great of an update I'll just give this one to my mother or whatever and buy the new one..

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
anyways... I really only need windows for 1 program so I figure a mac using boot camp will suffice.
It goes without saying that any OS works faster in bootcamp compared to a virtual drive. I only use one windows application myself but since I can't stand looking at it for very long I prefer virtualization so I can be closer to OSX with a just a keypress.

but I figure I'll just use the sd cards as a storage device to backup important data, that's the only way I can really take advantage of them as my current camera uses cf cards.
I used to do this on a Windows laptop. But don't be afraid to get a small 2.5" external USB drive and use Time Machine.

Now I only worry about the update happening early next year but if it's that great of an update I'll just give this one to my mother or whatever and buy the new one..[/QUOTE]

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
not to hijack....but...

is paralells 5 worth 58 canadian for me to do the upgrade from 4...i do alot of programming in visual studio 2008 using win xp and 7 pro.

thanks

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
VMWare Fusion 3.0, I have it pointed to my Windows 7 in Bootcamp. When I use VMWare it slows down my MacBook Pro 2.26 so bad that it's not even worth running both OS at the same time.

jaycarroll

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Denville, NJ
not to hijack....but...

is paralells 5 worth 58 canadian for me to do the upgrade from 4...i do alot of programming in visual studio 2008 using win xp and 7 pro.

thanks

I would say so. I've been beta testing 5 for a few mos now and the speed an reliability are absolutely noticeable when compared to 4 on my late 08 MBP.

Frankie.

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Is it that big of difference from 3.0? It's to the point where I rather restart and bootcamp Windows 7 instead of using VMWare 3.0

jaycarroll

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
Denville, NJ
Is it that big of difference from 3.0? It's to the point where I rather restart and bootcamp Windows 7 instead of using VMWare 3.0

3 was buggy and unreliable, it would periodically spike the cpu and slow everything to a halt. 4 definitely improved upon this, but was still a little buggy and slower than it could be. I'd say it has 'matured' with 5, even well enough for some gaming.
I've not had much luck with Fusion, but haven't tried it much... I was never a fan of VMWare on Windows - seemed overly bloated.

-disclaimer-
All IMHO, of course... ;)
I use virtualization primarily for web dev related browser testing - so I wouldn't classify myself as a 'heavy' Parallels user.

...or were you referring to Fusion 3?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.